“Hmmm”

US Space and Rocket Center Admission
Ranked #5 of 79 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Home to Space Camp, Aviation Challenge and NASA's Official Visitor Information Center for Marshall Space Flight Center; The U.S. Space & Rocket Center is recognized as one of the most comprehensive U.S. manned space flight hardware museums in the world.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I think I just picked the wrong day. The feature exhibit was not availble. The g Force simulator and the shot ride were both down. It was just underwhelming for the amount of money that I paid. I did get to view the IMAX movie which did not disappoint. IMAX is always a treat but I think they should have gave some type of credit for the main items that attract kids were not available. I was very underwhelmed and felt like I really wasted a lot of money on admission. I drove 7 hours to only stay long enough to see an IMAX and static displays. My kids were hurt.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,605)
All reviews
in 37 reviews
"great place to visit"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Came with our 2 boys ages 5 and 2. They had a great time and there were lots of interactive areas for them to explore. There were also a few rides they could ride on. This attraction is very stroller or wheelchair friendly. Buy tickets online to skip the ticket line. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

USSRC, Manager at U.S. Space and Rocket Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Hi Tara! Thank you so much for your five-star review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the museum overall. Visit us again soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My wife, teen daughter and exchange student from Thailand visited on April 1. The last time I visited the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville was 40 years ago when I was 10 years old, so I was excited to see it again.

First, the center is a good value, especially because the IMAX film is included. The domed theater is wonderful. I was a little disappointed in the film we selected, “Beautiful Planet” so I would recommend choosing a different option.

The walk through exhibit of the space station is interesting. The Apollo and Saturn Rockets outside are well worth seeing. They also have a couple of free rides outside. These are basically carnival style rides that are themed on space travel but the teens enjoyed them.

The Saturn V facility is where the best exhibits are. These include the Apollo 16 command module and the trailer used to quarantine the Apollo 12 astronauts after their return. If you have visited NASA’s Saturn V facility, this will seem very similar.

The biggest disappointment was that the Space and Rocket Center does not do a great job of building context and importance around their displays. For example before going into the Saturn V display at NASA you see a video that builds the excitement by placing the things you will see in historical contest. That is lacking here. To show what a difference that lack of context makes, our exchange student said “It’s just a rock.” My advice would be that if you are bringing teens you talk to them about the space race and the moon missions, even watch some of the historic news programs from that period so that they can truly understand how important the artifacts they will see really are

2  Thank burghughes
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I highly recommend arriving at opening and planning to spend the entire day. They have a nice grill for lunch or take a picnic. There is no barge for parking. We purchased a ticket that included a 3D movie about the history and future of space travel and we really enjoyed it. There are too many things to see to write about! I recommend making this visit more than once as a family.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I love museums especially flight museums but I was very underwhelmed. If you have children there looked like there was plenty to do. I saw rock climbing, rides and lots of interactive exhibits. I just feel this is not a place for adults. Mainly geared for children.

USSRC, Manager at U.S. Space and Rocket Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you so much for visiting and for your review. We hope you had a chance to make it to the Davidson Center for Space Exploration, which houses our major space exhibits and artifacts. We will pass your feedback along to our museum management team.