“Wonderful place to visit!”
Review of Gaineswood

Gaineswood
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We all had a day off,so we went to check out the house.Mrs.Sue was a wonderful guide,the house is something to see! Will go again on our next visit!

All reviews
"plantation home"
"greek revival"
in 3 reviews
"national register of historic places"
"architectural details"
"whitfield"
in 8 reviews
"life"

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I love this place. I would love to live here. We took the tour and fell in love with it's beauty. You can feel the history as you walk through. Page and Sue were very nice and knowledgeable!! We will be back.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Our Red Hat ladies toured this beautiful Gaineswood Plantation home. You must pay cash in person for your tour and call to set up your appointment to see it. We had a wonderful Tour Guide who I can't remember her name but she was quite an authority of this home. The details and the thought that went into this lovely home is so beyond what you and I would think about. Every detail of this home calls out to you to pay attention to everything you see. General Nathan Bryan Whitfield was indeed an brilliant man who observed life and lovingly built this lovely home. Take your time and go throughout this plantation home and watch it reveal it's beauty to you.A glorious example of Southern charm and intellect, along with the most outstanding architecture in Alabama. Believe me, it is so worth a trip to visit!!

1  Thank PennyW5
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Gaineswood is a beautiful antibellem home. No one else was there for a tour when I went on a Tuesday so Kathy Patterson gave me a private tour. She was very knowledgeable about the home and it's architecture, it's history, and the people who lived there. I could imagine how they lived (thanks Kathy!). Whitfield was a very intelligent and talented man. Gaineswood is a must see if you are in the area. The AAA tour book said to allow 45 minutes but I was there for 2 hours. They have a cute gift shop too.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 August 2017

A group of friends and I took a west Alabama road trip a few weeks ago, and having visited many house museums, we've learned to leave our expectations at the door. We were thoroughly delighted to have a tour with the current director, Paige. She did a marvelous job of connecting Gaineswood's history into broader US history, and we were particularly touched that she acknowledged the craftsmanship of the slaves who lived and worked in this house. I'm excited to see what Paige has in store for the property, and I cannot wait to take other visitors to Demopolis and Gaineswood!

1  Thank Alisha L