“Let your imagination run wild”
Review of Fairlawn Hotel

Fairlawn Hotel
Ranked #52 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Australia
“Let your imagination run wild”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This was my first trip to India, and I stayed in range of accommodation from B&Bs to 5 star hotels.

Although I would place the Fairlawn Hotel in middle market accommodation, it's the sense of Raj history and timelessness that sets it apart from others in its field. This reason alone makes it more than just tempting accommodation, it makes it an essential place to stay because you are not just getting a room - you are getting an experience.

Capping off the hotel's proudly displayed history through its photographs and ornate decor, is its owner - Violet - who you may meet during your stay. According to her, James Ivory (of Merchant Ivory films) stayed in Room 17.

My room was a few doors down in Room 20. Being in one corner of a 'wing', I loved how my room did not have much internal traffic. The downside was that the windows faced a lane which was noisy from about 11am to 9pm. But, you can still sleep well. I would recommend ear plugs though as you never know when some dogs might start barking in the middle of the night.

Hotel staff are very friendly and accommodating. Also, they are more sincere than staff at 5 star hotels.

I was slightly worried about some of the reviews of the food - but I actually found it fine, and the portions are huge. The egg fried rice is very good.

This is more than just a hotel. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the kitchen
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Mrs Smith and her family and staff give a fantastic welcome to all visitors and made us feel almost like royalty (amidst all the photos of Princess Diana, Prince William and Kate Middleton It has to be experienced to be believed

Room Tip: Many letters in the stairway refer to rm 17 We were in 18 and it was large, very nice and quiet
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I did read your reviews , before I went. I go to Kolkata every winter for last 10 yrs. This is the first time I have stayed here. Pleasantly surprised. It was a pleasure to meet Mrs Smith and her daughter Jennifer (directors), on the first morning---it was Mrs Smith's 91st birthday! I wished her well and was promptly invited to the cocktail party upstairs in the evening The hotel is a "time warp" of British Culture in middle of Noise and dust of central Kolkata. The beer garden and terrace for residents is an oasis.. Serevice good, though the restaurant has limitations. Breakfast adequate , but can do with bit more choice. All staff are extremely efficient, smiles and helpful. Reception desk manager is a gem---always helpful . In sharp contrast to other hotels nearby, staff do not hoveraround for tips.I have thoroghly enjoyed my stay there. They all made me very welcome. Price very reasonable---old building with all modern facilities. I shall go ther again. Hank

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
berks
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Location is great and it's an institution in the area, but quiet it is not. We had a room backing on to the street so noisy until very late and noisy again very early. It's an authentic experience but take ear plugs. Showers not as good as the Lytton. You have to pay for wifi, however lunches and dinners although a limited menu are good, no reports of tummy problems from there and it's cheap. Laundry service amazing, handed in and returned in less than a day. Staff nice and friendly but a bit tired and run down as far as sheets, towels and bathrooms are concerned.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a window! One looking inward not backing onto the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This was our second trip to Kolkata and we knew this hotel and its big reputation. We didn’t stay there the first time, but we did this time, and I’m glad of it.
While I wouldn't describe it as luxurious accommodation, it was characterful, well run and friendly.
First, the driver we requested was at the airport to collect us when we arrived in Kolkata. The reception was good, although I was a bit disappointed with our room when we arrived after a long trip from Australia. Given the rooms were said to have been "renovated" recently, I expected something a bit more polished. BUT it's important to remember that this is a period property, and what you don't get in modern amenities and up-to-date comforts, you get from a sense of history, quirkiness and character.
We had a spacious double room at the back of the hotel. It was basic but the bed was firm and well made, which we like, with clean and well maintained linen. The furnishings, while old, were in good condition and all we needed. However, at night there was noise from the buildings immediately behind the hotel, which started again first thing in the morning. There was also a street light framed in one of our windows that made it difficult to sleep (there was no curtain to cover it) so we had to move the bed a bit, so my husband didn't have to look at it from bed.
The bathroom, while basic, HAD recently been renovated as a wet room, and the shower worked well and it was all, again, very clean.The TV was old, but there was a "digibox" and we had the best choice of TV stations for us in a four-week trip (great if you don't travel with an iPad etc and you want to watch English language news and the Australian Open tennis). There was also wifi.
There is a large and well managed team servicing this hotel. Somebody who knows the place better than I told me that when the Smiths are not present the service is not as good. The Smiths (Mrs Smith and her daughter Mrs Fowler) WERE there when we were staying (Mrs Smith turned 91), and it all went smoothly. Their manager has been there for years, and seemed very knowledgeable and competent.
The breakfast was so-so, and the beer garden - famous around the city - had a nice feel but limited menu for somebody who doesn't drink beer.
But the longer I was at this hotel, the more I liked it for its basic comforts, reliability, central location and character. It does seem a refuge in the middle of a city that can be – as we say in Australia – “pretty full on”. It’s great value, and I would stay there again if I were to return to Kolkata.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple