“Clean room, good service”

Residency Guest House
Ranked #57 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Pune
“Clean room, good service”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I have stayed here may be 5-7 times. What I like about this place is that provides decent clean room to stay. The service is prompt, helpful and smiling. The location is also nice - near golpark gariahat - but slightly away from the main road in a residential area.

You may not find the room or washroom - classy or plush - but for the price it is very good.

You get clean bedsheets, clean towels, a small soap, geyser in the washroom itself, a flat screen tv with decent number of channels, a cupboard, a working table - a wall clock (I always wonder why this important thing is always missing in hotel rooms)

They give you the breakfast in the room - there is no restaurant - Choice is limited. If you are keen on having a kingsize breakfast - forget this place. Even the food or beer is fetched from from the restaurants nearby and served in the room.

So if you are looking for just clean no -nonsense type, air conditioned, guest house accomodation - try this place - it is worth the money spent.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sanjayicon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I came to Kolkata for a long weekend with a friend working in Delhi and we were both very happy with this guesthouse. The room and bathroom was clean (and cleaned daily). The hot water doesn't last very long since it's a tiny little tank, but it was already hot in Kolkata when we visited so we didn't really need it. The mattress on the bed was harder than I like so it was a little hard on my lower back. Nice to get breakfast and a newspaper served to our room in the mornings. We really loved the neighbourhood where it was located with lots of little shops and restaurants. The staff and service was excellent, professional and very friendly. I'm not sure if this is the type of place I would stay if I were travelling alone, but since I was travelling with a friend, it worked for us. Probably also a great place to stay for business.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

A friend booked a room for me one week in advance and paid for one night. As he was in Kolkata at that time, he went to the residency guest house in person and booked it for me. Also i talked with the owner couple of times over phone regarding this booking.

When i arrived at night on 24th January, i was searching for the address that my friend had sent me, could not find it, then i called the owner again. According to his direction i went to the guest house and guess what! It was not residency guest house; it was a different guest house which is couple of blocks behind the residency guest house.

The room was terrible; it was so dirty, specially the toilet. I could not eat anything after seeing the deep yellow stains inside the commode. When i looked outside my window, i found all the garbage in there, could not even open the curtain it was so dirty outside.

I asked the owner why he did so, he said this is also our guest house and residency was full so we booked your room here. I told him that my friend paid one week in advance and it was not full then, you said there were rooms available. He didn’t have any answer to this. It was late night and I had nothing to do except staying there. Fortunately my friend paid for one night only, so I could check out next morning. I searched for few hotels and went to Akash Ganga Hotel near Park circus, which was far better and cheaper hotel than this.

Will never book with residency guest house again. And i request other travelers not to pay in advance to this fraud.

Room Tip: Never pay in advance, be aware of this fraud.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Arunthia21
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel as a friend of mine booked a room for me in January 2011. The manager greeted me warmly and quickly cleared the procedures to help me relax in my room after a tiresome journey from the airport. The room was as cozy and clean as advertized and most importantly for me the attached bathroom was very clean and fresh. The room had enough space but not very big either. What surprized me in the morning was the warm sunlight coming from the big glass window and noise free morning. I did enjoyed staying there two nights but in conclusion I would say this hotel is a bit expensive. If you consider a clean surrounding with noise free morning and evening than this hotel might be suitable for you. There are shopping malls around this place though they are not in walking distance and if you prefer shopping around new market than this hotel might not suit you as you have to travel a lot.

Room Tip: Choose an east facing room when traveling during winter to experience the warm glow of the morning s...
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kamal_Ahmed
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Breakfast service to the room is great, as is the free internet, tv, and A/C. Decent western style bathrooms and hot water. Great staff - very helpful - and good room service too (I think it comes from the restaurant next door).

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business