“A hidden gem not to be missed!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Darjeeling
Glenburn Tea Estate
Ranked #3 of 100 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed 5 May 2017

A stay at the Glenburn tea estate is a truly unforgettable experience and we loved every minute of it. Whichever way you look from the delightful gardens or from either of the beautiful bungalows there is a wonderful vista, even when the mountains are shrouded in mist. Unfortunately for us, the weather was not at its best when we stayed in late March/early April, but we were lucky enough to be there for 5 nights and so we at least had 2 fabulous mornings when we were treated to the breathtaking views of the Kanchenjunga mountain range from the comfort of our room. Our room (Camelia) was fabulously spacious and beautifully decorated in English country house style with a lovely seating area, and French doors onto a small balcony with magnificent views. The bathroom was enormous with roll top bath and huge walk in shower. We did not see any of the other rooms but all other guests seemed just as impressed with theirs, and we gather the views are wonderful from each and every room. The food was delicious with an imaginative and varied menu and, despite initial reservations, we really rather enjoyed the communal dining in the evening. It was very interesting to meet such a variety of people from all over the world. I think perhaps my husband was a little bored on the last evening being the only man at a dining table full of rather verbose women! There was plenty to keep us amused during our 5 night stay with a visit to the tea factory, walks around the estate looking at the flowers, birds and butterflies, a lovely (though quite tiring) hike to the river camp with a tasty meal when we arrived, and a day trip into Darjeeling. We could have done a lot more but, after the hustle and bustle of Kolkata, and because the gardens were so idyllic, we relished in the opportunity to relax, reading, chatting, playing cards and drinking plenty of Glenburn First Flush tea! All of the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, and hats off to the multi-talented Nilima and Luna for being such lovely and well-informed guides, but also for running the shop and helping with the organisation of the staff welfare programme, amongst a multitude of other skills. A very big thank you to Jemima, Holly and all the staff for a truly memorable and delightful stay........ We hope we will return one day.

Room Tip: I think it was probably nicer and more secluded in the Water Lilly bungalow where we were than in th...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KatieSillett

Reviewed 1 May 2017

This is a stunningly beautiful hotel in an amazing location. The quality of rooms, service and food were all exceptional. Staff were friendly and helpful.

We did a couple of birdwatching walks - one in the afternoon and one in the early morning - with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide.

We also enjoyed a tour of the Glenburn tea factory, a walk down to the river and lesson in how to make momos - all with professional and friendly guides.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris622013
Jemima M, Manager at Glenburn Tea Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

Dear Chris
Thank you for your lovely review. I will pass on your positive feedback to the staff.
It was a pleasure having you both to stay.
Best wishes from Jemima and the Glenburn team

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

There is no doubt that the road to Glenburn is uncomfortable and sometimes scary but when you arrive if you are like us you will think it was worth it. The property is charming, with sweeping views and colourful flowerbeds. We were greeted pleasantly enough by a young man(status unknown) and after some formalities taken to our room which was delightful, spacious and decorated in cool blues. The ensuite was large with both a shower and bath and had a range of quality toiletries as well as fresh flowers. We were informed about mealtimes and that we could use the free laundry facilities and that he would send someone to collect it. This was when things seemed to dip as nobody appeared and I had to search for someone to give my laundry to. There seems to be nowhere obviously to go to if service or help is needed and there are no telephones in rooms. We did find a folder with interesting information about the property, things to do (not mentioned or offered on our arrival) and the cost of drinks (expensive) but no mention of mealtimes or their venues which were different for each meal. Lunch which was delicious was served at a lower level overlooking a valley. Time and venue were given to us by a fellow guest. Luckily we were happy later to relax in the afternoon in the upper garden on the limited number of recliners and enjoy a cup of tea at 5 pm. We avoided the drinks session (top tip ..bring your own with you...freely available at wine shops) and went to the communal dining room at 8pm. We were greeted by a young English lady who enquired if we wanted a drink. We later discovered she was an assistant manager but why wasn't she wearing a badge to say that, my husband thought she was a guest. The communal table often seems a good idea but the person on my left was absent for a while leaving me with no one to talk to! The meal was a little disappointing, rather bland though plentiful. Wine was freely offered but not included in the tariff. We were offered a wake up call for the next morning but it did not arrive and when we went for breakfast at 7.10am (we had been told it started at 7am )staff were only just setting up and we had to wait for crockery,cutlery,chairs and food to appear. The less said about the food the better but one of my enduring memories is someone running into a building clutching a toaster!!! This property has the potential to be AMAZING but there are serious management issues to be dealt with to please clients with high standards and who expect value for money.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Jemima M, Manager at Glenburn Tea Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2017

Dear TrueBrit

Many thanks for your review. As the manager I am very disappointed to hear that your over night stay with us was not perfect. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to meet you and rectify anything that you weren't happy with.
We pride ourselves on our food so I regret that you found it bland the night you stayed. We always encourage guests to stay at least 3 or 4 nights at Glenburn to be able to enjoy all we have to offer here. It was a shame you only had 1 night and that you had to leave so early in the morning, not ample time to relax completely. Am pleased you liked your room(Kachenjunga) so much and the beautiful location.
I hope you will return one day and we can make up for any shortfalls that you experienced on this visit.
All best wishes from Jemima and the Glenburn team

Reviewed 19 April 2017

High in the clouds perched on a little mountain near Darjeeling sits the most incredible retreat in all of India. I looked forward to my stay for months, but nothing could have prepared me for just how WONDERFUL this place is. It's probably the closest thing I can imagine to being royalty- such a beautiful example of old colonial splendour, and you are treated like a VIP.

I enjoyed the communal dining, where I met lovely people from around the world, and it's pretty special to be able to just go for a guided hike anytime you like- there is always a guide on hand. Though it was mostly cloudy when I stayed, in the mornings the clouds parted and I was lucky enough to get an incredible glimpse of Kachechunga (wow!!)

Rates seem expensive, but include so much (transfers, laundry, all food, all hikes, all activities!) that I can't really complain about the price. Everything was of perfect quality.

On a side note, I stayed as a solo female, and I felt very comfortable, and my privacy was completely respected.

Room Tip: They all have their own charm. Can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank emwhit262
Jemima M, Manager at Glenburn Tea Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Thank you so much for your lovely review of Glenburn and all we have to offer....We aim for perfection and to make all our guests feel like VIP's whilst they are staying with us. So pleased that you got a glimpse of Kachenjunga!
With all best wishes from Jemima and the team

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

A beautiful place under the shadows of Darjeeling and majestic view of Towering Kanchanjenga. Located on a ridge surrounded by tea plantation. Spacious accommodation with large rooms beautifully decorated with cultural paintings. Food is excellent with menu different every day. That whole staff is courteous and ever smiling. Plenty of activities which can be arranged by the management if you want to keep yourself occupied. Otherwise, relax and read a book under a tree, listening to chirping birds which are quite in number. Except for the approach road the place is ideal for people looking for serenity from the hustle bustle of city life. Hospitality covers all the little difficulties if one feels. I am surely recommending to all my friends and relatives. Experience worth it.
Jemima keep up the good work and all the best to your staff for taking care of us.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Adarsh S
Jemima M, Manager at Glenburn Tea Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Glenburn. I am so delighted that you had such a lovely stay with us and enjoyed the food so much. I have passed on all your positive feedback to the staff. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best wishes from us all at GB