Glenburn Tea Estate
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Darjeeling
See available hotels
Ging Tea House(Darjeeling)
Hotel Nirvana(Darjeeling)
The Retreat(Darjeeling)
  • Room Service
Windamere Hotel(Darjeeling)
  • Room Service
All reviewsother gueststea estatemain bungalowsuspension bridgerose suitebutterfly roombagdogra airportcommunal tablehomemade lemonademoment you arrivebarbecue lunchlocal schoolcommunal diningserved a delicious lunchfree laundry serviceinteresting tourwalk in shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2017

On the journey down to Glenburn I was rather wishing we had just stayed in Darjeeling ...and then we arrived. From the moment we stepped out of the car I was smitten! There was a lovely warm welcome from Jemima and Glenburn itself is the most beautiful place, it feels straight from the pages of an upmarket magazine. The house is full of the most beautiful textiles and furnishings and the views are to die for. We had lunch under the pomelo tree - and what a treat to be able to eat salads after 3 weeks in India. The food is delicious, fresh and unusual and different at every meal. All the staff were lovely and Jemima organised everything seamlessly and with a smile. I would go back again in an instant.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Adrien F
Jemima M, Manager at Glenburn Tea Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2017

So delighted that you didn't stay in Darjeeling but came and spent a couple of nights at Glenburn. The only downside was that it wasn't for longer than 2 nights! Thanks so much for your review and all the positive feedback. Look forward to seeing you back in the UK and do please come back to Glenburn when you are next in India. All the best to you both from Jemima and all the team X

Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

I will never forget my time spent at Glenburn - it was truly magical and will always have a warm place in my heart. From the lovely driver Ranjan who picked me up from the airport with a refreshing glass of homemade lemonade and a picnic to the lovely, attentive managers Holly and Jemima who welcomed me with a green Glenburn sash on arrival I knew it was going to be a great stay!

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful with incredible to detail - gorgeous unique suites, amazing flowers and views of the mountains. It felt so tranquil; as if you were on top of the world!

What really made my stay special however was the staff. Chandra's home baked banana bread is truly the best I've ever tasted!! The themed evening meals were always delicious and I loved being able to sample new cuisines. I was even lucky enough to experience a three course meal complete with a delicious homemade apple crumble down at the camp lodge next to the river with a roaring campsite fire and oil lamps - that was a truly memorable experience and the staff were so attentive in making it the best night for us (thank you Ashim and Myla!!).

I've also left understanding so much more about tea and now profess myself to be quite the connoisseur!! So thank you to Parveez and Nibir for all your expertise and especially for the tour visiting the tea pickers - that was a great day and I think the tea basket looked great on me if I say so myself ;)

You can tell how hard the management work to endeavour you have a great stay and it was lovely to spend some time drinking masala chai with Holly and Jemima on the veranda - thank you for all your help in ensuring I had a memorable stay!

I'd recommend Glenburn to anyone - get stuck in, walk down into the village, day trip to Darjeeling, sample a green tea oil massage and have bed tea every morning - you won't regret it!! This place is a little chunk of heaven.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank Chaz C

You were a magical guest to host and we hope you will return very soon. Such happy fun memories of your week here....! With love and hugs from Jemima, Holly and the team X

Reviewed 23 March 2017

Its a long and winding steep hill that takes you to this idyllic location. The rooms are wonderful and in keeping with the location. The views are stunning and its is a wonderful place to relax, that said don't miss a trip to Darjeeling a fabulous and busy town. I'd take a day to see it. You can also enjoy a massage. I took a walk into the village and it was great to see.

Room Tip: Most rooms are great but I'd try and avoid the room off the main lounge.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Beaks21
Reviewed 21 March 2017

We stayed for two nights in the wonderful setting of mountain scenery and colonial splendid isolation. The road access is difficult, but no more so than many locations we have visited in the sub continent. Rooms are splendid - large and airy with good quality fittings and great views when the mist clears from the mountains.
The guest relationship managers were welcoming but as our visit developed, it seemed to us that they were not on top of the job. Broken light bulbs were not replace in our room, though requested, Bed Tea was ordered but didnt arrive on the first morning. We raised to issue for the following morning and it still didnt arrive!! About an hour later coffee was delivered, which we didnt order at all!!
Dining was also an issue. Breakfast is held on a lower open terrace with cut fruit, preserves and juices on a table for self service. Fruit was in open bowls with no covers and the possibility of insect contamination. Managers dined with guests but never thought to have food covered or protected.
Supper is a communal event with set menus and choice of vegetarian options. While dining with several of the Indian owners and other Indian visitors, we were amazed that staff announced dinner as a Moroccan event. With the expansive cuisine of the sub Continent why serve North African style dishes and mediocre ones at that. I'm sure the Indian guests were as embarrased as we were.
All in all, a wonderful place but please try to do the simple things well and dont overcomplicate the offering

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Jemima M, Manager at Glenburn Tea Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2017

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to review your stay with us. We are delighted to hear all your positive comments about Glenburn. More importantly thank you for letting me know where we let you down and failed to meet expectations. I have have had a meeting to discuss the points you raised. Failure to replace bulbs and deliver your bed tea order were clearly unacceptable and we have a system in place now where senior staff double check all requests have been followed through.
While our emphasis on cuisine is from the sub continent we do also include some menus from other cultures. In light of your comments we are reviewing this.
Many thanks again for your helpful review and we do hope to see you again at Glenburn in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

Understated elegance, unobtrusive service and superb comfort food using the best of local produce with a focus on the hill cuisines of north east India sums up the Glenburn experience. Glenburn effortlessly creates the ambience of a country house weekend, with the guests mingling easily over evening drinks followed by a communal dinner around a cosy dining table with the conversation flowing easily. I asked Holly (who along with Jemima manages this gem of a hotel with easy efficiency) whether they choose their guests and she replied that the guests choose themselves!

This small eight suite boutique hotel near Darjeeling sits on a beautiful site overlooking Kanchenjunga, the third highest peak in the world. The suites are cosy and luxurious recreating the life style of the tea planters in their glory days. The estate, a working plantation, continues to produce the best of Darjeeling tea, and I would recommend even the hardiest of coffee drinkers ( I am one as well ) to forgo it while they are here and focus on imbibing some of the exquisite tea's produced by the estate.
There are probably places where there may be better cuisine (though I would doubt it), more luxurious digs (I have yet to see them) and maybe a location better than this little piece of heaven; but it is really how everything, including the guests, comes together which makes Glenburn truly special.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends