“Great place to stay, great dining but little bit pricey”

The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai
Ranked #14 of 400 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This was the 4th visit to Chennai in the last 18 months. After reviewing so many positive reviews on the Raintree Anna Salai (plus the fact we stayed at Radisson Blue GST twice already). We decided to give it a try.

PROs
* clean/new rooms
* very helpful staffs
* very good choice of breakfast
* restaurants are great, tried "The Kitchen" for breakfast, "Madras" and "Up North" for dinner, they offer very good range and very tasty Indian meals
* feeling secure - floors can only be accessed with room cards
* not far from the airport

CONs
* airport transfer is not free
* hire car provided by the hotel cost almost twice than what Radisson Blu GST offered, I ended up calling the car company Radisson Blu GST recommended me. I would have not known I was overcharged on cars if not stayed at Radisson earlier.

Overall
If compare to Radisson Blu GST, Raintree has newer facilities and more choice for dining. However, it somehow lacks the personal touch shown in Radisson Blu.

Verdict
A tough decision - neck to neck.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
G_M-The_Raintree, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Thank you very much for the review. We will further more improvise and personalize our services to offer our guests the best of The Raintree Hospitality.

There are newer reviews for The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Excellent staff and services. I liked also very modern and original design. The location was very convient for me however not really fantastic to go around (the traffic...) and also not extremly far form the airport. The room are really spacious and comfortable. Everything was celan and fresh. Good internet speed, nice facilities. Great breakfast buffet and staff in the restaurant. On the roof there was a small pool but i didn't use it. Generally great hotel for short stays.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
G_M-The_Raintree, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you very much for the review. We really appreciate this gesture and assure the best of services ahead.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

This is a fundamentally good hotel with some funny and sometimes limiting rules.

They make a fuss about allowing people to come up and meet you in the rooms.

Packed breakfast - reluctant.

Overall Service Standard - OK. Nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Front road (main road)facing
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MONK09

Thank you for the review. I have taken a note of the packed breakfast feedback, please do let us know your requirement and assure that we will look after the same. Yes, we do have a visitors policy in place coming to meet our hotel resident guests and this is purely to ensure safety and security of all our other guests patronizing The Raintree Hotels. I do agree that it may sometimes cause inconvenience and for this we do have meeting rooms at the business center that we provide without any charges and will be glad to offer if informed in advance.

I appreciate your point of view and welcome your feedback in this regard and assure the best of services ahead.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

This is a story of a beautiful and a bad hotel.
The hotel is just two years old. It is very well designed and gives an ultra modern, clean and fresh feel, with some very beautiful art work. Some of the cooking is absolutely 1st class. The mutton biryami was the best I have ever had anywhere in the world. Some of the staff really go out of their way to be helpful. So there are some outstanding plus points about the hotel. Will I return? Certainly not. Why?

I had a Club room and normally in good hotels guests are well looked after for the extra that is paid.

There were no one else at check in but me, but the staff took nearly 15 minutes to check me in. I asked what was the cause of the delay. They said they would get back to me, but never did.

The airconditioned in the room was not working. I phoned up and they said they would send someone. The tempurature was 102degrees. My short was damp with sweat when 15 minutes later two staff came. They had to go into the roof space to sort out the problem, but finally they got it working.
Naturally I wanted a shower to cool off (I prefer a bath, but even in club rooms, no baths). The shower was fine, but there is no sealing at the bottom of the shower glass and water simply seeped from the shower area into the rest of the bathroom area flooding it. I showed the staff the problem. But no one came to deal with it during my stay. Very poor design and non existence service reponse. This was not a good introduction to what is meant to be a 5 star hotel.

There were some flip flops in the room but no bath robe. I phoned to ask if robes were normally provided. They said that they are only provided if guests ask for them. This may be a sensible economy measure, but could I suggest the hotel informs guests of the policy? By the way they only have a small size, most Europeans canot fit into the robe, so there actually is no point in asking.

I went to the Club loung for breakfast. On entering I was told that it would be better to go downstairs to the main breakfast room, because there was only cold brakfast available. I was a little surprised, but followed their advice. Breakfast was fairly good. But there was no bacon ledft, so a cook said he would bring some to me. It duely arrived but was stone cold. I asked the chef to taste it and asked if this was normal. He did not reply. I declined the offer of a further helping of bacon. I did suggest to the chef that offering guest freshly cooked bacon that is cold was unprofessional. There was no response and no apology.

I went at midday to the Club lounge to read the paper and work on my laptop. I went in a sat down. Staff came to me and said that I culd not use the Club lounge because it had been booked by a company. It was true that there were a few people in there who were clearly working on something. So I left. I phoned up reception and said I have a club room which on my contract says it includes access to the Club lounge- is this correct?. They said "Yes, you can use the Club lounge, please go back and enjoy it". I said could they just double check because I did not wish to go back and be refused entry again. 10 minutes later they phoned up and said they were sorry but the Lounge WAS booked. They said that for the happy hour in the evening another room would be made available. I said that the refusal to permit me to enter the Club loung was a clear breach of contract. I asked them to get the manager to respond to this. I had no response at all.

The gym is very good, I recommend you use it.

So beautiful and bad. If only the management could run the hotel in a professional fashion I would be happy to recommend it. Perhaps if was an off day for them. I am so sorry that I cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Insist on a road at the back of the hotel. Rooms facing the main Anna Salai road are noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Nemo149
G_M-The_Raintree, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel - Anna Salai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for choosing The Raintree Hotel, Anna Salai for your stay in May 2012.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback given with regards the issues faced by you during your stay. I am really pained to see a feedback like this, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused and assure that we will take all measures to improvise in our services as highlighted by you. I did check with the team members and they did mention that you were very upset as it started with an online booking which did not flow into our system and when you checked in the booking did not exist followed by the AC tripping in your room, delayed response to rectify the same as due to continuous power tripping our UPS back up line too gave up and the AC’s on 9th floor specifically were effected due to the same and it took some time for our technical team to rectify the same. The Chef’s too did mention that based on your morning breakfast experience, they did try to make up during the dinner and Chef Patel; our Executive Sous Chef did meet up for dinner and enquire if everything was fine and that you were comfortable. Additionally; I also do apologize for the inconvenience caused at The Lounge; which had to be closed for Club Floor Guests as we had accommodated a meeting room request for one of our regular preferred corporate partners and patrons. I really have no words for this entire series of experience and definitely assure to reiterate our efforts and ensure that we really pull up our socks again and get our service right again. Having said this; please do give us another opportunity and am sure that The Raintree Experience will definitely change the perception that you currently have based on the recent experience.

We really thank you and welcome your feedback in this regard and assure the best of services ahead.

I appreciate your point of view and look forward to your continued patronage of The Raintree Hotels.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Am staying here for my pre-op surgery next door, tomorrow at the Apollo Hospital. I have a very bad hip and walk with a cane (not for long) but all the staff here go out of their way to accomadate. The buffet breakfast [included, by the way] for myself was more like waiter service as the crew here offer to get items for me so as not to have to hobble over with a plate in my hands. If I drop a napkin, if fell as though 10 people will dive for it, to see whom gets to it first. I feel as though I am being treated as though I were Ghandi himself staying her reincarnated :-).
In contrary to the previous reviewer, I kinda enjoyed the band at "High" and found the music not to be that loud IMHO but was dissapointed that they close at 11PM, perhaps thats the law of the land here, its my first time in India. I am in room #515 and find the room great, esp. for a semi-handicapped person who needs a shower at one level and wood floos instead of carpeting to roll on.
I also recieved a coupon for a free 15 minute back/neck massage which was fantastic....of course a great maketing device to sign up for a full hour, but much appriciated. I also liked the free 2 bottles of Aquafina water each day, full sized bottles as well. Every request that I had was meet with swift execution IE calling concierge for a shaving kit or calling for laundry service in 5 minutes or less. In room ini bar was great, if you needed soething quick and the inroom safe was big enough for a laptop as well. A great security feature is that you need your room key to access your floor on the elevator, as nice piece of mind feature.
All in all I can see why this Hotel is rated #1!!!! I will return to stay here on June 3rd and 4th to visit my surgeon for my post-op physical to head back to the USA. If and when I ever come back to Chennai for a vacation trip, this is where my wife and I will definetly stay. Keep up the good work and whom ever trains the staff here, great job. BillD / Conecticut USA

Room Tip: Almost forgot...am using the FREE 2 hours a day wireless high speed internet! Nice touch managmen,t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ZeldaGatsby

Thank you very much for the review "Best staff on the planet!". It is feedback like yours that really motivates us to continue and further enhance our services. I am delighted to note that the team here was able to look after your stay and requirements specially when you were here for a surgery.

We thank you for the encouraging feedback and look forward to welcoming you again at The Raintree Hotel, Anna Salai.