“Its not just a temple town.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Melkote
Mysuru (Mysore), India
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Its not just a temple town.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

The temple atop the hill is visible from quite far away. Melkote is more than just this temple, It is loaded with lots of small temples and temple-ponds (Kalyani's). A small stroll around the town, will take you to akka-tangi kola - which is two kalyani's next to each other. A half constructed temple, which is a favorite place for film shooting. Loads of film shooting happen in this town, you might just get lucky to see one of them during your visits.
The main kalyani of melkote is apparantely the largest kalyani in India.
Melkote is supposed to be famous for puliyogre (A south india dish made of tamarind and rice), though i've been to this place an infinite amount of times and have tasted it in different eateries. They haven't lived upto my expectations. Guess that itself is what they claim to be their 'awesome puliyogre'.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank Yakku

Bengaluru, India
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“cinematic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

most of d movies are shot at this place and proud to say that it was in one night

2 Thank pooja g
Bengaluru, India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ancient Ruins - Hampi close by”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

A very nice calm & peaceful place. Approach road from SH17 (Bangalore-Mysore) is not very good. It reminds me of Hampi Ruins.
The place is famous for movie shooting, lot of regional movies have been shot here over the years.

Must DO : Have the Temple Prasad - Puliogre

Singapore, Singapore
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 218 helpful votes
“A must visit place if you are going to mysore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

We were travelling from bangalore to mysore , while having break fast my mother calls me up and asked me where I am placed . I told her the location , and she said there is a place called melkote and it is 25-30 kms from here and it is worth visiting .
We took the car and went in trail of melkote , it was actually 45 kms from the mysore- bangalore high way . total secuded place .
When we went it was around 10 O clock in the morning, we directly visited the chelluvaraya swamy temple, by the appearance of it from out side it did not have a great gopuram , I was wondering where Have i landed now , But the moment I entered the temple every thing was erased from my memory , It is such a beautiful temple to visit .
There are no words to explain the divinity assoicated with this temple .
After taking belssings from the main deity we saw one abhishekam going on for a deity , later we found out that , this very deity had been worshiped by LORD RAMA and LORD KRISHNA , then I suddenly realised how blessed we are to see a idol worshiped by lord himself.
THE outer strtch has lot of hoysala architecture , which my wife appreciaated very much .
Then we went to the narasimha swamy temple on top of the hill, it is a steap walk of may be 450 steps worth the hike .
There has to be a mention of the temple tank, this taaank is sooo huge ... Then I remembered it , I have seen it in lot of feature films. There is a mottai gopuram too which has come in so many movies . This is the time I started appreciating the location finders in Film industry .

There are quite a lot of mutts present and was surprised to find even tamil mutts there, Then on enquiry found that Ramanujar lived some years here . This is a must visit place for all divine loving souls .

Visited October 2011
15 Thank shanks123
Chennai (Madras), India
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Melkote for the heritage and spiritual minded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Melukote is an important religious centre associated with the Vaishnavite saint Sri Ramanuja. Even for those not interested in religion or history the place offers quite a lot of photo opportunities. The Cheluva naryanaswamy temple in the town has some very interesting sculptures on the pillars. Notable among them are the knotted ropes sculpted out of granite. (see photo) .The Yoga narasimha temple situated on top of ahillock offers a breathtaking view.
The town is also considered a lucky mascot for some film makers who make it a point to shoot at least one sequence here.

Visited September 2011