“Hyatt Regency New Delhi Regency Club Level Floor 6 & 7”

Hyatt Regency Delhi
Ranked #45 of 736 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 21 December 2007

I looked on trip advisor for a while before making my decision on the Hyatt. I had read a few things before my trip to New Delhi but still arrived feeling like I had not prepared enough. I came to realize extremely fast if you want things done in New Delhi get the tipping wallet ready. This place is worst in tip for value then Las Vegas in general. The hotel is pretty nice over all and yes service is pretty good if you are willing to dump a few Rupees on tips. I found that advice prior to my trip that 30 rupees is pretty good which most cases was but if you want something done and fast 100 rupees up gets what you want pretty darn fast and with a smile. If you don’t plan on tipping then I suggest you don't stay at a 4 star up hotel in New Delhi. I decided on this room because reading other reviews on hotels in general in New Delhi the level of service and accuracy of things is very low. So I figured I would try to find the best place with a good name and find a top room. The Hyatt I like in general as a hotel because it has a national name and corporation behind so you can usually find customer service somewhere if all else fails. Being on the Regency level I was greeted at the airport by the hotel and shuttled off to the hotel. I arrived in the morning and they are pretty strict about the early check in deal so I dropped off my bags and already had a day trip planned to Agra. On returning to the Hyatt later in the evening I checked in on the 6th floor of the Regency Club and of course things can never be right. I had booked two rooms. One I booked on line at Hyatt and the other I booked online at Expedia. The room booked at Hyatt of course was accurate at check in but at check out they bumped up my price an extra 3000 rupees for some reason. I am still debating this with them and the credit card company. Not something I wanted to do and had previously read that they are notorious for this so great I am one of the statistics now. The other room booked through Expedia was a disaster. Expedia charges you the total room at booking through the website. So I paid the entire amount including taxes at the time of booking through Expedia. Well at check out Hyatt wanted to charge me again for the room and I was about to blow up at this point because things just didn’t go as planned. Well anyhow already running late to the airport I ran into the business center and printed off my Expedia confirmation and my credit card statement showing that I had already been charged and still Hyatt did not take it at face value but rather told me they would figure things out send me a bill later. Well lucky for me the Expedia room worked out and I was not double charged or I would still be debating that as well if I had not taken the time to solve it right then and their. So big suggestion if you decide to stay here bring all your reservation confirmations with you to check in and make sure the quoted or prepaid room is understood with the check in counter people at the time of check in it will save you a tremendous amount of time later in emails and telephone conversations with your credit card company and the hotel. The next morning I wanted to check out New Delhi so I hopped into a taxi and not knowing better told him to take me to the arch and he did not turn on the meter….oops. I learned that you are supposed to negotiate these fares or just rent the driver for the day. So I ended up understanding this fairly quickly and negotiated 1000 rupees for the day. That seemed to be the set rate for it was like this the remaining two days using other drivers. I also learned unless you like to be taken to the commission shops be direct and firm with the drive on telling him you want to go to specific places and don’t want to go shopping with him when you can just go to Connaught Place and stay away from the government emporiums unless you want to pay the premium. The way I understand it is that the government emporiums pay a kick back of 500 rupees to the taxi driver for just bringing you the emporium and then 50% commission on whatever you end up buying. So don’t go to the taxi driver suggested places for shopping rather just direct him to various places like Connaught Place. Don’t misunderstand this and think this is on the only place and no government emporiums in this area because there are more places and still government emporiums here in this area as well but you can surely see the difference. Just tell the taxi driver you want to start out by the Pizza Hut or KFC. They are clueless and think you just want to eat and tell him you will be back after a few hours. He isn’t going to take off because you haven’t paid him yet so take a nice stroll and shop, eat or whatever floats your boat. So now more about the hotel. One room I had gotten was just a Regency King and it was actually fairly small compared to other Regency Kings I have had in the past from other Hyatt’s. But it was OK nothing special other then the bottle water. The drain in the shower was horrible and flooded every time the shower was turned on. The other room was a Regency King Suite and was good size. It felt more like a Regency King room I am used to. It had a lovely sitting room and very accommodating in size and feel. The suite was a nice room for my friends to stay in because they had three travelers so two sleep in the king bed and the other in a roll-a-way. Very nice room and their shower seemed to work just fine. Being on the Regency level you get the breakfast in the morning and the drinks in the evening which is a very nice feature to staying on the Regency level and the staff is very friendly while serving you. Again a little tip at the end of the breakfast and night cap does some wonders for your stay. The staff is more appreciative and goes out of their way to help the tipper that is for sure. So good place to hand over 50 rupees after the end of breakfast and drinks for better enjoyment to your stay in the long run. I found the location of the hotel not to be very close to many things and at least 15 minutes from the sites. I ate dinner one night at the Spice Route at the Imperial Hotel and found the location of the Imperial fairly close to the sites so I may have to try that the next time I go to Delhi for the location seems much better off. The Hyatt just seemed away from it all. Highly recommend the Spice Route for dinner and make reservations at the Imperial hotel. Also the Hyatt has China Kitchen which serves fairly good Chinese food but again make reservations in advance for it feels up fast. The health club at the Hyatt is small and very busy for they allow outside membership. So if you want to exercise and enjoy the sauna at the hotel you can but be prepared for a small over used gym. Overall I found the Hyatt in New Delhi to be very TIP happy and OK if you are ok with tipping everyone at the hotel who may look at you or try to help you. I don’t think that is unusual thing for New Delhi in general. It seems to be a very TIP happy place which bugs me but at the same time I am already their so I want to enjoy my voyage and not let a few dollars get in the way of my enjoyment. Upon leaving give yourself plenty of time at the airport. Security is crazy for they have these big scanning machines that don’t do anything because I didn’t see one bag being opened but they require every bag to be placed on this thing for inspection. I don’t have a clue as to what it is suppose to do because a billion people are all trying to throw their suitcase onto this scan machine at the same time with really no organization to the whole thing and then clamoring to retrieve the bag at the end of the scan machine while some workers place a security check tie around your suitcase. It’s a joke and very time consuming. Do not try to check in until you have cleared the dumb scanning machine process. Immigration lines are long and slow and then again a security check again is required for your personal hand carry. Also don’t forget to get a stamp on your hand bag carry on because they won’t let you board the airplane with out a stamp on the carry on luggage tag. Again just take my word for it very TIME CONSUMING. New Delhi will tier you out!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank mariobono
Write a ReviewReviews (2,458)

Reviewed 16 December 2007

This hotel has an excellent standing. The restaurant are good for India. Our oom at the top floor was very well furbished and we had a warm welcome. The sauna was a good point for the evening. The only disappoint was a mistake on the bill at the departure but they corrected it on our request.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wykx
Reviewed 19 October 2007

This was not the best welcome to India. The service was pretty disorganized, and the location was out of the action of the city - this might suit some people but it meant having to negotiate public transport and taxis, not easy in this place! Rooms were okay, but nothing special. Not the cleanest bathroom either. I'd choose some where else next time.

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank LBDessex
Reviewed 9 October 2007

I stayed at Hyatt Regency in Delhi, this was my second visit. I think that somethings have slipped since last year when I stayed, such as concerige desk (had to remind them several times about car bookings). The food as always is good, the rooms are pleasant (although can be cold - I turned my ac off!) and the complimentary water is much appreciated.

The staff are very helpful on the whole, although a little slow in the restuarant.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank Peagreen98
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Excellent hotel that made our stay in Delhi a worthwhile experience; check in was easy and the rooms average until we found that our friends were in newer plush rooms on the same floor whilst our rooms were the old style; upon request, the management bent over backwards to move us to the newer refurbished rooms as soon as these became available (later that night)....the flat screen LCD TV ; the wood panel ; the soft mattresses, the ambience and the transparent bathroom wall with the sensuous blue soft lights all reminded me of the high end boutique hotels in pricey Manhattan!!
The room service was excellent; as was the health club with newer equipment - elliptical crosstrainers and treadmills with integrated TV monitors ; the massage treatments were truly a treat and fairly inexpensive by US standards. Their popularity was evident; by few time slots available for massage at short notice.
Service speaks volumes in my book when the concierge willingly sent staff on motorbike for medication to a 24 hour hospital pharmacy some distance away from the hotel at 3am (to treat my sick child); and had the medication delivered promptly to our room!!
Thanks Hyatt staff... I have traveled all over the world and rate you a true 5 star experience!! We will be back when we visit India & Delhi

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family