“Excellent service”
Review of Taj Mahal Hotel

Taj Mahal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I read all the positive comments and cannot agree more after our family trip to India
The service is amazing and the staff are extremely helpful
Also both of the restaurants we went to were extremely good and the service excellence continued there . I can highly recommend the Japanese Wasabi and Varq. Both had outstanding food (a bit expensive, though, but worth it)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank MA2010

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Had a great two night stay at the Taj Mahal. Our room was on the top floor and had a view over New Dehli from the Presidential Palace to India Gate. The staff were lovely, room extremely comfortable, restaurants excellent, pool secluded and warm. What more could I have asked for?

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DoingMyBucketList
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I've stayed at the Taj Mahal (&Taj Palace) many times, and for some reason, I love it more each time I visit. I've stayed at the other 5 star hotels in Delhi, and yes, they have bigger bathrooms and newer fittings... but there's something so cozy and nostalgic about the Taj. Walking the corridors with the shining brass and all the polished wood, I instantly feel transported to the '20s. The decor is deco and warm. It's retro and yet brand new and clean.

We are staying in a Club room with a small but perfectly functional marble bathroom with all the amenities we need, including great lighting, a pet peeve of mine and one which I find lacking in so many hotels. King size bed, sofa, large marble desk, enormous flat screen TV, coffee/tea maker, mini fridge, lovely closet, lots of drawers, robes, slippers, and more free toiletries than I've seen in many places. (We just came from The Grand, which was more expensive, and they never gave us a second bar of soap after several days)

One thing that could be better and is another pet peeve -- there are no electric plugs near any of the mirrors or in the bathroom. So ladies, no use bringing the curling iron or flatiron unless you bring a huge extension cord as well. Luckily I'd also brought travel hot curlers I could plug in at the desk and then bring in to the bathroom with me. There is a perfectly wonderful hair dryer in the bathroom, but it's plugged in under the sink and behind the drawer, and I couldn't find the socket to unplug it.

But for me, it's the attention to detail and this delightful aura that you feel from the staff as soon as you come in. I had tried to book though American Express and had the most frustrating time for over a week with several booking agents, who all failed to make my booking. In the end I made it myself through the website and at check in the wonderful staff quickly gave us an upgrade to the Club level and with not a pause offered to give us the amenities we would have gotten if American Express had made the booking. Superb service.

Then, I almost cried when I came back into the room after dinner and saw the detailed turn down service. They'd already laundered our clothes within hours, and my underthings were neatly ironed, placed in a basket, covered with an organza cloth, and a single perfect rose. Not only that, but they'd neatly folded the clothes we'd strewn about getting ready for dinner, and even put my reading glasses in a cozy little leather box near the bed! What Pampering!

Even better, the service is dignified and confident, never overly obsequious and a bit fake as it is in many other hotels. My husband said it best when we walked into our room and he sighed, "It's like coming home."

Room Tip: Definitely choose a room with the pool view. It's the best view I've seen in Delhi.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TeresaEBethesda
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The lobby tells you that this place is a 5 star hotel. The check in process confirms that it is not just the ambience and then you get to meet the staff who quickly remember your name and room number. They can't do enough for you. In short, our whole stay was impressive and we would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank randltrip
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Taj Mahal hotel over a weekend while on a business trip in December. The hotel was lovely, and the only reason why I didn't give it top marks was because our room smelled strongly of spices in the morning (we may have been a few floors above the kitchen), and it was difficult to sleep through.

Pros:

-the service! It was attentive without being overbearing. A small example: I got sick while eating at Wasabi (the sickness was NOT related to the food) they brought out a gelatin dessert to help with digestion and wrote "get well soon" on the plate. Again, this was just one of many instances where the staff was attentive.

- Security

- Food: the restaurants are delicious, as is the room service.

Cons:

-The strong spice smell

- Security: We had to walk through metal detectors and have our bags screened at the door. It was somewhat annoying when you just want to get to your room after a long flight (again, this is also a positive)

- The rooms are slightly dated

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christie J