“Dont Drop The Ball”

Ranked #2,046 of 12,819 Restaurants in New Delhi
Price range: USD 7 - USD 16
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Small bistro-style art cafe.Displaying and selling art by some of the best known names in Indian art.Small tables, small chairs, all made with recycled materials.a 5 to 7 min walk from the main street of hauz khas village.
Reviewed 7 July 2013

It is rare to come across a restaurant like Tattva in India. But I am worried that it may not be able to survive due to a very hostile and non accommodating environment that prevails here for these kind of restaurants. This was my 2nd visit in 6 months, and this time the restaurant was totally empty at 2 in the afternoon. Being tucked way inside the Hauz Khas Village does not help. It also does not help that the owner (who was there last time) is not always present in this space that requires you to engage and not just sit and eat. The sole person (a typical Indian servant type) seemed to be the person in charge of everything, and definitely not the kind of person who would enjoy even one dish from the menu. And lastly, it also does not help that more than half the items on the menu are not available. A better alternative would be to have a limited daily change menu based on what ingredients are available.

None the less, this will continue to be my haunt each time I am in Delhi. It is too precious to be wasted away without enjoying.

2  Thank ZenHealer7

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I found this place by accident at the back of Hauz Kaus village and its the most amazing find of my trip. The food just makes you feel so good and the ambience is most chill. Every friend I brought here felt the same.

The owners treat you as friends not customers and nothing is too hard for them.

I'll be back for sure.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Fantastic food. I would recommend this as a must try. The only negative is there is no window in the area you eat in.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

A business associate who is also an instructor in vegan/vegetarian cooking suggested that we try this place for our dinner. Although I'm not a vegetarian, I'm glad he did. Tattva is a revelation!

It's a bit hard to find, and the front-of-the-house operation lacks polish, but the food makes up for everything.

My colleague and I both had the five-course dinner, which is priced at Rs. 695. Our courses included a mildly sweet "beetroot gazpacho," which is actually borscht with a whisper of yoghurt; a surprisingly delicate pilaf of pearl millet, a serving of haricots verts done to a turn, and a mini muffin served with a tiny dollop of sorbet.

My colleague was surprised at the level of sophistication we encountered on our plates and in our glasses. Accompanying the meal were a tiny cup of a gingery drink to cleanse our palates and a tall, refreshing glass of pumpkin juice.

The decor was suitably artsy-fartsy for a place that advertises itself as Art & Fresh Organic Kitchen, and the music in the background sounded to me like Diana Krall singing jazz standards. For my dining partner and me, the atmosphere was relaxing, unhurried and great for conversation.

We understood from the chef/owner/server that business has been slow. Do yourself and him a favor and try a meal at this delightful place. Then, spread the word to others. Perhaps, together, we can provide enough business to keep this Delhi treasure open!

2  Thank David W
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Tucked away at Hauz Khas Village (HKV), it is completely worth the effort to find (and visit) this place.
I visited there on a friend's recommendation, and was pleasantly surprised.
Really liked the food that they served! The tea that they served was really good, much better than that served by the Baristas (et al) of the city. If you go to HKV, go to Tattva just for the herbal, organic tea. (They give you organic honey to sweeten it.) It's COMPLETELY worth it.
Even for the ambience, most of the items used are organic/recycled. Very nice concept.
It feels like a modest art gallery.
Go there once, and I am sure you'd be hooked.

Tattva, keep up the good work!