“Anyone for seconds in the fish restaurant?”

Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Didn't stay there called in for lunch twice in a month. The USD40 buffet in the fish restaurant is one of the best dining experiences I have ever enjoyed, professionally served, well cooked, with a fantastic view of the beach (spoilt a bit by Sri Lankan lads chatting up foreign tourists right in front of you). Eat well because it will not get better than this during your stay in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: Didn't stay there but I imagine all are pretty good. Loads of upmarket Sri Lankan guests stay he...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hugh F
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

It was a pleasure to have you dine with us, my team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your lunch at Crab. I am happy to say that we have had many positive comments on the quality of our Sunday Brunch.

I thank you for your excellent feedback, On behalf of all team members, I hope to welcome you back one day very soon.

mario.khms@keels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,819)

Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I, together with two friends, have just returned home to Sweden after spending two wonderful weeks at the Chaaya Trans Hotel in Hikkaduwa on the south west coast of Sri Lanka. We were rather concerned before our arrival as we had previously scanned different websites and read several, not very impressive, reviews about the hotel, it´s locality in Hikkaduwa and the infamous Galle Road which runs through the village. Now I would like to correct some of the negative things that have been said!
The Chaaya Trans Hotel is of top class rating! It´s situated directly on the beach with a beautiful garden and pool. The rooms are spacious, very clean and comfortable with roomy balconies overlooking the sea. The service we received from the entire hotel staff was absolutely amazing: such friendliness, kindness and readiness to help and please and everywhere the wonderful srilankan smiles! A special thank you to dear Malsha and her colleagues at the reception, to Chandana who cleaned our room and attended to our needs with such care, to kind Malaka who was always there to help place our sunbeds in a shady spot in the gardens and last but not least to the exceptional staff in the buffet restaurant where we ate breakfast and lunch every day. The food that was served there was just out of this world - such a huge variety and so tasty and fresh with dishes to suit all tastes. On top of that the superb on-the-spot cooking and service at the buffet restaurant´s two grill bars, not to mention the fantastic desserts and the abundance of exotic fruits!
In all the years I have spent travelling around the world, staying at four and five star hotels, I have never before returned from a holiday feeling so completely satisfied and overwhelmed as I have this time and with such wonderful memories. Just the fact that in two minutes I could leave my room and take an early morning swim in the sea together with the enormous sea turtles that were at the waters edge every morning and evening made this holiday unforgettable. Surprisingly also, in spite of the close proximity of the Galle Road we were not at all disturbed by it´s presence.
If you would like to see more of Sri Lanka when in Hikkaduwa I would strongly recommend a whaling safari trip from Merissa on the south coast and a two day trip via Udamalawe elephant orphanage and the waterfalls onto Yala National Park where if you are lucky you will see leopards. If you decide on a whaling trip and you are a nature lover then please be careful when choosing the company for the trip. Some of the companies use very fast boats and head straight for the whales as soon as there is a sighting, causing stress to the whales and disturbing their feeding. The company to go with is Raja and the Whales. This company is excellent, shows respect and love for the whales and at the same time you will get real value for your money. There is a guide called Siri who has his base at number 291, Galle Road who will arrange the outing for you. The whaling trip costs 6000 rupees per person and through Siri you can rent a mini-bus with AC and driver for 6000 rupees for the whole day. Siri is a very trustworthy and humble man, in other words strongly recommendable.
Usually I never return to the same place for a holiday but after these two very special weeks I just hope that one day I shall return to wonderful Sri Lanka and stay at the Chaaya Trans Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank 413JKK413
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, my team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our large rooms and selection of food and the service of our staff during your two week stay.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 week. It looked like they were in the process of training their staff. Way too many of them didn't know what were they doing and how. It was not a problem at all, just a bit sad to look at them since they obviously were trying hard but lacked training.
Food was great (all incl.) and many to choose from. Desserts were yummy! One evening there was a summer cinema! Watching a nice movie under the sky was perfect. They have even served popcorn! Was very cute.
Rooms were spacious, bathrooms were big (showers) and the view was just perfect :)
IT take ages to get to the airport (6 hours!) so stock up on food if you are coming directly from the airport.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, my team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our large rooms and food, the cinema under the star is always a hit with all of our guest.

As you are aware the Hotel is only 4 months old so many staff are new, I am happy to advise that many changes and improvement have occur since your visit.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We met by pure chance on the beach of Hikkaduwa late in the summer of '81 and a lifetime romance resulted. To celebrate our 30 years anniversary, we decided to attach a week of vacation in Sri Lanka to the month spent in Goa.
And what a celebration! On our arrival to the hotel Chaaya Tranz, the friendliness of the welcome just made us feel at a friend's place. The suite into which we have been upgraded generously was just marvelous. Overlooking the ocean on the top floor, it was set like in a movie. Arlette spoke of a scene in "Pretty Women" when we tasted the complimentary Prosecco with the strawberries and chocolates on our terrace and later in the whirlpool, we completely took off. The birds singing on the palm trees, the sound of the waves with the sea turtles playing in them and the sunset like in paradise, it is difficult to surpass this.
The diner at the seafood restaurant was also one of the highlights on the first night. The cook made a creative and sophisticated cuisine without excess. The tapenade and the pesto were so truly Southern French that I asked if they had imported the cook. I was told not and expressed my satisfaction to the waiter who was taking care of us.
We went to the beach where we had met 30 years back. Many things have changed there, except the powerful waves, which turned Hikkaduwa into a surfer's paradise. We returned to the hotel to enjoy the Balinese massage for me and the pedicure for Arlette. What a treat! As an aficionado of massage, I believe I can make the difference and the therapist's treatment was just great, like in a dream.
Un unforgetable experience!

Room Tip: If you have an opportunity, ask for 401!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philippe S
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, my team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your seafood dinner in "Crab" and the suite along with your Spa treatment.

I thank you for your excellent feedback, On behalf of all team members, I hope to welcome you back one day very soon on your next anniversary.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

The hotel was fully booked that w/e and we regret having only managed to book ourselves in for just one night on Feb 19th 2012.

We had not been there since its days as Hotel Coral Gardens and the transformation of the property is phenomenal and the service was exceptional.

From the guest relations person who did our check in, escorted us to the room and briefed us on the amenities, to the IT guy who personally came in to check on why the WiFi didn't work the laptop (and then sorted it out for us) to the staff at the pool bar and restaurant were professional, courteous and efficient. The TV in our room didn’t worked and maintenance dept. rectified the situation promptly by replacing it.

It was however the more subtle things that made the place stand out for us, like the time we called room service to ask them to send up wine glasses, and they were thoughtful enough to ask if we were having red or white wine. The jar of macaroons placed in the rooms in the evening, is also a nice touch!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, my team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy to read that our Guest Relations team members had exceed your expectations. Thank you for your kind comments on our special touches such as our cookie jars these are always popular.