All reviews rice and curry continental breakfast a bit overpriced small fridge reception desk laundry service ancient city cold beer hire bikes excellent place air condition highly recommend this place stayed nights comfortable beds free wifi a great place to stay the ground floor
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights at the little hotel and had a really good time. The rooms are very clean with a small fridge and the free option if you prefering the air-condition or the fan. You also got free wi-fi. The staff is super friendly, helpfull und alert. They answering every question and doing a top service. If you have any problems they very committed to solve them out.
The outside restaurant is roofed and the rest of the outside relaxing area is under shady trees. My absolute highlight was the traditional breakfast you have to order the night before. Absolute amazing and tasty!
Continental breakfast and dinner (had dinner two times at hotel) are good and comprehensive. If possible ask for a room in the first floor if you wanna open the windows during the day. Its almost impossible in the ground floor (to small or at the outside area side so everyone is able to look in your room). Definitely will stay here again on my next trip to Anuradhapura.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Nimal_K_Weragoda, Public Relations Manager at French Garden Tourist Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear Sir/madam, Thank you so much for your excellent review. We are so happy that you were satisfied with our Services and specially enjoyed our meals -delicious traditional breakfast .It is

It is a pleasure to hear you love to come back.

Your feedback is well received by the whole team.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,
NImal +94769363592

Reviewed 9 February 2018

the location is good and they advertise with booking.com and tripadvisor and next
to the stickers american express, but if you want to pay with a card it’s no the
machine is broken. try to find a better breakfast somewhere else, the toast you get
is expired long before. friendly staff, but keeping on asking how we pay is
annoying. btw we did not see a garden, only four palmtrees the rest is concrete!!

Room tip: do not know if $30 is budget?
Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

French Garden is a great place to stay. It’s welcoming, in a great location, safe and a great temporary home to thoughtful international travellers. The team have a great knowledge of the local cultural and historical sights and enjoy sharing it. The food is delicious, cooked expertly by Asanka. The staff team are always helpful - many thanks to Asanka, Rajitha and Sudesh for making us feel so at home here. It’s a centrally located oasis within the city!

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

We only booked for one night but stayed much longer because of the welcoming and friendly staff team and the delicious Sri Lankan food cooked by Asanka - particularly the rice and curry. Rajitha always welcomes the guests and makes them feel at home, as well as having lots of information about the local area.
The hotel is also really central to walk around too. If you want a budget option that’s friendly, delicious and central this is the place. Would go back when next in Anuradhapura.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

The location was good. The price was good. The man on the reception desk was very good and the other staff were good too. Breakfast and the restaurant food was OK, nothing special. You get what you pay for. The rooms and hotel are old and shabby but if kept in better condition they could be called chic which is cool.

The bulk of the reviews on trip advisor don't reflect the reviews on booking.com. I would say the hotel booking site are more correct about this hotel which is a shame because with a small amount of effort on behalf of the owner would see huge benefits. For 2 of my nights there I was the only guest, I know it's low season but if the review score was higher it would encourage more guest bookings but I do think there is lack of symptomatic care. E.g. the original room I was given had a broken shower head and the A/C unit made far too much noise preventing me from sleeping. I ended up sleeping with it off and I sweated uncomfortably the rest of the night. They changed my room for me in the morning which was a better room but when I highlighted the problems with the room I discovered they knew of the problems but nothing had been fixed. So my question is, why put me that room? Also cleanliness could be improved, the bins for example should be washed as the inside of them was filthy. None of the staff have had any hotel training. A highly trained workforce is more efficient, productive and a benefit to any business. Also, do not use the laundry service, they outsource and half my clothes came back with even more stains.

Date of stay: November 2017