All reviews rice and curry continental breakfast a bit overpriced small fridge reception desk laundry service ancient city cold beer hire bikes excellent place air condition highly recommend this place stayed nights comfortable beds free wifi a great place to stay the ground floor
Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

French Garden is a great place to stay. It’s welcoming, in a great location, safe and a great temporary home to thoughtful international travellers. The team have a great knowledge of the local cultural and historical sights and enjoy sharing it. The food is delicious, cooked expertly by Asanka. The staff team are always helpful - many thanks to Asanka, Rajitha and Sudesh for making us feel so at home here. It’s a centrally located oasis within the city!

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

We only booked for one night but stayed much longer because of the welcoming and friendly staff team and the delicious Sri Lankan food cooked by Asanka - particularly the rice and curry. Rajitha always welcomes the guests and makes them feel at home, as well as having lots of information about the local area.
The hotel is also really central to walk around too. If you want a budget option that’s friendly, delicious and central this is the place. Would go back when next in Anuradhapura.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

The location was good. The price was good. The man on the reception desk was very good and the other staff were good too. Breakfast and the restaurant food was OK, nothing special. You get what you pay for. The rooms and hotel are old and shabby but if kept in better condition they could be called chic which is cool.

The bulk of the reviews on trip advisor don't reflect the reviews on booking.com. I would say the hotel booking site are more correct about this hotel which is a shame because with a small amount of effort on behalf of the owner would see huge benefits. For 2 of my nights there I was the only guest, I know it's low season but if the review score was higher it would encourage more guest bookings but I do think there is lack of symptomatic care. E.g. the original room I was given had a broken shower head and the A/C unit made far too much noise preventing me from sleeping. I ended up sleeping with it off and I sweated uncomfortably the rest of the night. They changed my room for me in the morning which was a better room but when I highlighted the problems with the room I discovered they knew of the problems but nothing had been fixed. So my question is, why put me that room? Also cleanliness could be improved, the bins for example should be washed as the inside of them was filthy. None of the staff have had any hotel training. A highly trained workforce is more efficient, productive and a benefit to any business. Also, do not use the laundry service, they outsource and half my clothes came back with even more stains.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We’ve spent three nights and we had a great time with Rajitha and company. Also we had a clean and confy room, good food and beer and they told us everything we needed to know. I’d recomend it for sure!

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed for two nights here and staff, in particular the manager very helpful and friendly. Helped us book safari to Wilpattu for excellent price, whilst also advising the best ways around Anuradhapura.

The room provided what we needed, own toilet, air con and comfortable beds.

We also decided to eat there both nights, with the Sri Lankan curry excellent. Despite being listed as just curry and rice, comes with so many little side dishes. Highly recommended place to stay!

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Nimal_K_Weragoda, Team French Garden., at French Garden Tourist Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Dear Josh,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your kind review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers.

We look forward to hopefully having you as our guest again the next time you visit Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka

Nimal, Rajitha and the Team