“Ok for a night...”

Ranked #18 of 39 Aguas Calientes B&B and Inns
California
“Ok for a night...”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I think most people staying in Aguas Calientes are there for one night to see Machu Picchu the following morning. We stayed one night and our stay was not great but far from bad.

The pros:
* Close to the rail station, just a few minutes walk away and someone was at the station waiting for us.
* Clean comfortable room, no pests or critters.
* Satellite T.V. (not much to do in AC).
* Free Wi-Fi.
* Comparably inexpensive.

Cons:
* Train station was right across from our room and very noisy, the trains come in throughout the day and early morning and will wake you up.
* Breakfast was nothing to write home about, just grabbed a banana and headed for the bus to MP.
* For some reason when we came home at night the lights in the staircase (no elevator) were out and we had to ascend in the darkness... not fun.

All and all the condition of the rooms was good but basic and if your doing a night it is a good option I guess. You might want to ask for a room away from the front of the train station as it can get very loud. If in that neck of the woods I would stay again, but note that its not luxurious by any standard but get the job done at a good price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank gred78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 5 August 2011

First of all, you don't really need to stay in Aguas Calientes for any length of time, 1 night at the most is sufficient. it's super touristy and overpriced. We were trapped here for 2 nights on the basis of mis-purchased train tickets, which was way too long of a stay. Anyway, my husband booked this place based on the reviews on trip advisor. They did pick us up from the train station as planned and walked us back to the hotel. We were able to check into the room right away and the internet worked fairly well which is the reason for my 2nd star. However, the place is noisy. The walls are paper thin and you can hear every conversation on every floor outside the rooms. Furthermore, it is right on the train tracks. Granted, we did have a room facing the train tracks which may have made it more noisy than a room in the back but be aware of the location if train noises bother you. Our room was never made up during our stay either and when we arrived there was soap from the last person still in the shower with an empty packet of shampoo. My other major complaint was no hot water in the shower for 2 days. When I asked about it, the women told me to just let it run for 10 min or so, which I did, but surprise, still not hot water. At this point, I was checking out in less than an hour and was just happy to be leaving. I'll just shower in the hotel back at Cuzco where I'm only paying $20 more a night for and is luxury compared to this place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kraussla

Travellers are raving about these Aguas Calientes hotels

Reviewed 28 July 2011

We made our reservation weeks in advance. When we arrived on the late train, the staff claimed they had an "internet problem" and took forever to have our room ready. In the meantime they checked in 2 groups ahead of us. When we got impatient -- already looking at less than 4 hours of sleep before waking early to climb Machu Picchu -- we looked around and found the staff building an extra bed in our soon to be triple room. Instead of giving us a single and double they made us wait. Rediculous! Save the headache and go somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Decent room for the price and location. Outstanding service throughout, included accomodating our late-night arrival with one extra person beyond expected (five in family), very hospitable for weary tourists on a budget. Breakfast was the only shortfall.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
18 Thank js2011_11
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I was here for an overnight stay prior to my visit to Machu Picchu. The location was great...someone greeted me at the train staion at 10:30 am, and we had just a short walk to the hotel. Considering that most of Aqua Calientes is uphill from the train station, it felt good to not exert myself.
The room was ready and to be honest, it felt good to have a TV in the room following 3 nights of no television at the B&B I stayed in Ollantaytambo. The room was nice, spacious and bright (green) with a bowl of fresh fruit. Yes, the train station was right below and you could hear the trains coming and going during the day..however, come night and early morning, there were no trains arriving or departing. The view outside the picture window was absolutely magnificent. The pricey Inkterra was right across from here, and I can see the guests walking across the railroad tracks to take their excursions.
I awoke early in the morning at 4:30 am, and went to breakfast at 5:00am. I was concerned that breakfast would not be set up yet, however it was a buffet of fresh juice, avocado, meat, pancakes, and local food items that I do not know the names of. It was quite filling.
I was able to leave my bags while I visited MP, and returned to relax on a sofa in the lobby until my train departed.
The only real complaint I had is that they decided to paint the halls outside of my room during my one day stay. The fumes were horrible and I had to take the blanket off the bed to place beneath the door. Additionally, coming and going from my room was challenging. I believe there was a slow period at the time, and I can't much blame them. They need to keep that green paint fresh -lol. But I probably would give them a 4 star rating if not for the paint. Despite this however, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
0.4 km away
Gringo Bill's Boutique Hotel
Gringo Bill's Boutique Hotel
#2 of 3 in Machu Picchu

Been to Machu Picchu Green Nature? Share your experiences!