See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 February 2015

very good place for it's value. clean and cousy. it's very near to dunes. the owner- very friendly. we reccommend this place. we spent there two nights in January. they have air conditioning with heat option- the room had good temperature.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2015

Auberge Familial is a relaxing and beautiful place to stay in. (For some reason "de Belkacem" is added on to the title in TripAdvisor, but they do not have this on their name at the hotel.) There was a heater/air conditioner in every room, which you really need, depending on the time of year. (We used the heater.) The staff was very accommodating, even the the point of finding two camels for us during high season when there were no camels to be found. This is my second time staying here, and we loved the new room with three separate mini-rooms for toilet, sink, and shower. The hot water was near-instant and hot, and the bed comfortable. When asked to change the sheets, the proprietor was immediately helpful. The only thing I'd say was that the food for dinner is overpriced and somewhat paltry- you can get better prices and taste by walking ten minutes into downtown.

Room Tip: The new rooms are just remodeled, with a shower, sink, and toilet room- Room #2, just off the main room. Three beds, one for couples. Individual lamps for each side of the bed are present, along with plugs and overhead switches on each side.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Perfect Base for a desert trip. Good location - walking distance to the dunes. Pretty, large and traditonal rooms. The family was very helpful by organising amazing day trips. Very nice and warm atmosphere. I wish I could stay longer!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night and the other night we booked a camel trip via the hotel. The rooms were clean, hot shower, and there is airco (which doens't always work due to some electricity problems in the town). Location is excellent. Staff is friendly, especially the daughter of the owner: she speaks really good English and we had a nice talk with her. Probably because we arrived there off season, we managed to bargain a little about the price, this way we paid 650 Dh for two for the camel trip, the room with private bathroom and dinner the day after we arrived back from our trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L V
Reviewed 17 April 2012

During my recent motorcycle circumnavigation of Morocco, I had the pleasure of staying at the Auberge Familiale chez Belkacem a Merzouga. All I can say is that it's an excellent place to stay - comfortable, clean and tidy, great food, great price and was treated very well. For the money you really couldn't ask for anymore. Clean bed, hot shower, great food, good advice on the area, including some good tips for me on where best to ride the sand dunes and advice on the route I planned to take the next day from Merzouga to Zagora via piste.

The place is genuinely family run, with the owner, his wife and children (and brother) all being very helpful and welcoming. For €30 B&B what more could you ask for. One of the other reviews on here is obviously wrong. Whoever wrote it has mixed this Auberge up with some other place. This is a clean and decent place run by genuine people. I was even allowed to park my motorbike in the reception area for security - how good is that! It was a short and pleasant walk down to the big Dunes of Erg Chebbi and there were lots of handy shops nearby and an Internet Cafe.

The Auberge is well located, just off the main road heading into Merzouga (but the rooms were very quiet). The owner and his brother can arrange camel trips, etc should you be interested.

Save yourself some money, stay here instead of heading the few hundred metres down the road where you'll pay twice the amount. Top place - 5 stars.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo