“PARADISE ISLAND”
Review of Lankayan island

Ranked #11 of 21 things to do in Sandakan
Reviewed 11 May 2018

Here I am describing the island itself, not the resort. Lankayan island is a wonderful paradise surrounded by turquoise waters full of sea life. Snorkelling you can find all kinds of colorful fish swimming in the corals and even sea turtles. The experience is not limited to that, you can see sea a turtle laying its eggs that later are carefully collected and looked after until they hatch and the little sea turtles are released in the sea, you can see this too. To sum up, an awesome place not be missed.

1  Thank RYOKOSURU
All reviews
"sea turtles"
"beautiful island"
"sulu sea"
in 4 reviews
"baby turtles being released"
in 3 reviews
"snorkel"
in 7 reviews
"witness"

Reviewed 16 January 2018

I'm struggling to find the words to describe just how stunning this place is.

-The first thing that struck me when we got off the boat was just how quiet, remote and tiny it was, it's sublime being somewhere so natural and pristine - and being away from the internet and the needless buzz of modern life for a few days was just paradise!
- There is nothing to do except snorkel, dive, sunbathe, read, relax and absorb your spectacular surroundings.
- The variety of marine life surrounding the island is simply breathtaking, some really beautiful coral and a dazzling array of fish. We were even lucky enough to see several sharks!
-There are turtles EVERYWHERE, literally everywhere and we were even able to swim with several.
- We were lucky enough to witness two different baby turtle releases over the time we were there, which really was magical.
- The sunsets are simply spectacular.
- The accommodation is really comfortable and rustic.
- The ocean is the clearest water I have ever seen in my life, simply unreal, it's just stunning.

Lankayan Island is a true hidden treasure. From my perspective it captured everything I would want from a Maldives/private island style holiday. Yet the focus on conservation and the rustic style of accommodation means it is still (thankfully) lacks the 'Instagram tourists' and remains a paradise for true nature lovers.

In short, the best place I have ever stayed - can't wait to return one day.

5  Thank Sally M
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

Perfect! Everything was absolutely perfect! From accommodation, service, food, friendliness... Releasing turtles was a highlight. Snorkelling around the house reef too. Could only highly recommend!

Reviewed 7 October 2017

This island is paradise! The most amazing place I have ever traveled to. We are already planning to go back. We saw baby turtles being released each night. The snorkeling was sensational. We saw an abundance of incredible fish, sting ray, reef sharks and turtles. The staff were so lovely and helpful and the food was delicious!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed on Lankayan Island for 6 nights. It is 1 1/2 hours by boat. Upon arrival we were met and taken to the restaurant, where cold flannels (much needed) and a glass of fruit juice awaited us. We were given a brief introduction to the island. Our chalet overlooked the sea. The food was lovely & alcohol was served at extra cost,
We saw numerous green turtles hatching and a couple of horn billed turtle nests hatching. We were lucky to let 2 baby turtles back to the sea. Also 2 green turtles building their nests, then go back to the sea.
Swam with wild turtles and a 3.5 metres shark swam past my husband. All of the staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We would like to return.
Rooms have air conditioning, beach towels were provided as well as complimentary water in you chalet. Dress code is casual, I wore shorts & top when going to dinner

1  Thank Munki