Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
All reviews eagle view natural beauty baby sharks big family robinson crusoe city life paradise monkeys chalet island malaysia fishes huts
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 March 2016

We visited Bagus during our trip around Malaysia in summer 2015. We chose Tioman island because we wanted to have our vacation spent in natural and friendly environment away from noise (phones, emails, internet) and crowd of tourists . We got to Mersing from Melakka by a taxi, ordered at our hotel. It cost around 650 Rp one way trip and lasted around 4 hours. (a trip from Mersing to KLA costs 850Rp). Tickets for a ferry were bought by internet 12 weeks in advance. In Mersing: for a first view it might look like it is not easy to get to the island due to the chaos at a ferry station, but if you read carefully an instruction (near cash office) and accept this way of service, you easily manage to get to the boat on time to (relax, follow people with the same colour of boarding passes - we got a light pink - colour depends on a final destination). After 2 hours of journey, we finally reached a Bagus jetty and we were welcome by friendly staff. Bungalow which we booked it was a Big Chief, very good choice for families with kids (separate 3 spacious rooms), a fantastic and natural bungalow with all things we needed - comfortable beds, working fan, small refrigerator, clean and nice furniture. Every morning when we woke up we had a nice company of a family of small monkeys looking for food. So be aware to keep your bags closed (they are very quick ). Regarding food and drinks in restaurant - a menu was simple and tasty and during our 7 nights stay, we never get bored by cook. If you want to eat in different place, you can always go to fisherman village and taste a local food in small bar (cost few USD), we tried fish curry & chicken curry. Regarding free time, for sure you should go for a snorkelling in crystal and clean water near small island (40 min. drive by motorboat, our friends saw a turtles and other big fish) and walk to a waterfall. So if you want to have a beautiful beach almost for yourself, to spend vacation in eco friendly place, close to animals, to be far away from all electronic leashes (emails, phones), you should definitely visit Bagus. It is not a luxurious resort. Do not expect extraordinary accommodation and exquisite cuisine. But this place wins by its closeness to the nature, calmness, simplicity and homeliness.

Room tip: Big Chief for family.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2016

I am sorry for taking so long to write this review. My wife and I visited Bagus Place Retreat in September but many things have got in the way since...I'm finally getting time to write a review, and I have to say that this is one of the most wonderful places we've ever stayed.

First things first: the staff here are AMAZING. From the moment we arrived at Kampong Genting and were picked up in a boat by Mirul and Afzhan (sorry for bad spelling!), to the moment we left, when the whole staff waved us off at the jetty, we were treated like royalty.

The setting of Bagus Place retreat really is idyllic; our room (the Rock House) was perched right over the South China Sea, and it was wonderful to be lulled to sleep by the waves softly lapping at the rocks below us. This is a small resort with only about 8 chalets; all your food is provided for you an it's EXCELLENT - I had never tried rota canai for breakfast but I loved it, and Swaidi's (again, sorry for bad spelling of names!) cooking was superb. Love those noodles, and the beach barbecue on Saturday night!

There is not much to do in the resort itself, which is kind of the point...unplug, unwind, enjoy a hike in the trails behind the chalets or just sit and enjoy nature. The snorkelling from the end of the jetty is stupendous, with shoals of gorgeous fish flashing by in bath-warm water.

We loved EVERY MINUTE of our time at Bagus Place Retreat - huge love to the staff for keeping us smiling throughout our stay. We'd love to come back one day!

Room tip: Rock House is quiet and spacious with terrific views over the sea.
Date of stay: September 2015
1  Thank CotswoldFish
Manager_BagusPlace, Manager at Bagus Place Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2016

Hello CotswoldFish,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are happy that you enjoyed your holiday at Bagus Place Retreat, and thank you for your sweet memories with us!

Over the monsoon when we were closed, we have upgraded our chalets with some finer details for an even more romantic feel... we look forward to welcoming you back here again soon with a special deal as returning guests!

Take care and warmest regards from all of us at Bagus Place.

Reviewed 21 October 2015

Bagusplace it is in a real wonderful location. Just jumping from the jetty you can snorkel with thousands of fishes. We also swim with a couple of turtles during last days, exceptional.
Houses may need some renewal, I wouldn't anyway change the concept. I'd like to be inside the forest respecting the nature.
It is not a normal resort, it is more like being inside the island and with the island itself.
Waking up the morning having the monkeys in the garden and going to sleep with the sound of the sea. A dream.

TV at the bar was having only a few channels, no possibility to follow rugby WC; wi-fi not working or very slow.

Staff is friendly and really super! Always available to make you comfortable and allowing to enjoy your holiday.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Giuseppe S
Manager_BagusPlace, Manager at Bagus Place Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2015

Dear Giuseppe S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
At the time of the Rugby World Cup, unfortunately the TV and Wifi satellite reception was not working very well due to the hazy weather. We do have Sports Channel on TV and frequently watch Live sports matches with our guests, the most memorable one was the final match between the British Lions and Wallabies where everyone at the resort was cheering for their home teams!
Nevertheless, we hope your holiday experience was enjoyable throughout, and looking forward to welcoming you back here soon.

With best wishes,
From all of us at Bagus Place Retreat

Reviewed 20 September 2015

Wow! I just loved this place no end! Tioman Island was a pain to get to, but it was SO worth it and Bagus Place was just incredible. I have been to the Seychelles and the Maldives, but Tioman still beats them all.

We travelled from KL to Mersing by road taking 5 hours, then took the quite frankly awful hour and a half ferry to Tioman, getting off at the first stop Genting. The Bagus Place boat was waiting for us at the pier and helped us take our bags off the ferry. Immediately I was entranced, Tioman is stunning with crystal clear blue water teeming with fish, gorgeous white sand and a lush green jungle interior. We boarded the boat from Genting pier and were taken a further 20 minutes or so to the very south of the island where Bagus Place is located.

There are no real roads on the island and as far as I know Bagus can't be accessed any other way. It is NOT remote however, as there are maybe 4-5 other resorts all in a line in front of Twin Peaks National Park. Bagus Place shares its beach with Tunamaya, and about a 10 minute walk in the jungle takes you to Minang Cove. Bagus has prime location however directly in the centre of the two peaks that give the park its name so has the most idyllic views, in my opinion.

As we approached in the boat, the sun was shining, the sea was calm and emerald green/blue, the verdant green mountains rose high above us, with their peaks gently shrouded in cloud. It was so idyllic, remembering now feels like a dream!

Rooms are all wooden huts built into the hillside surrounded by the surrounding jungle, it is luxury but very rustic. We had a two bedroom treehouse for my boyfriend and I and his folks. It was quite dark inside, and there is only a fan, but this meant you still knew you where you were! Walking down to the Tunamaya later on, although initially thinking I liked the look of the place, I realised their sterile, incongruous villas didn't lend themselves to the vibe of the island. In Tunamaya you get luxury, but you could be anywhere!

All meals are included. Breakfast and lunch you can chose from a number of options, but dinner is buffet style, with a small selection of 1 starter, 3-4 main dishes and a desert (always a "cobbler" as far as I could tell!). The food was very good although for stays much longer than ours (3 nights) I fear it may get repetitive.

One of the huge draws of this place is reef, and the fact that it is swim out from the beach or straight off the pier! The coral is stunningly beautiful and very colourful, the fish varied. We didn't see any larger fish or turtles though. At night they throw the biodegradable waste in to the water and this attracts huge numbers of black tipped reef sharks who would dart about in the waves.

We decided to walk to the nearby falls, about a two hour walk/trek through the jungle and arranged to be collected by the boat once we were done. They arranged a little picnic of fruit for us to take, which we must admit we left unattended on our living room table and the local monkeys stole half of! We had a beautiful walk which passed through a local village where the government is encouraging the locals to plant flowers to attract bees which are declining in great numbers, so it is spectacularly colourful! The waterfall itself is a bit of an anticlimax, but wonderful to cool down after a hot hike.

The beach is very beautiful although when the tide goes right out, the sea recedes a long way leaving exposed rocks. I am not a beach person so it didn't especially bother me, but it might some.

The thing I really loved was the communal seating areas dotted throughout the resort, from the library attached to the beach bar, to the tree house, to the little hidden nooks with huge day beds, there was always somewhere to sit and relax no matter how full the resort was. The beach bar is a great place to relax in the evenings with a sundowner, and during the day there is an honesty bar, so you can just help yourself!

Their tagline is, "Just another day in paradise!", this place really is!!

Date of stay: July 2015
3  Thank Rastnim
Manager_BagusPlace, General Manager at Bagus Place Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2015

Dear Rastnim,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to improve on the variety of meals served.

Have a nice day!

From all of us at Bagus Place Retreat

Reviewed 17 September 2015

Not wanting to be that guy to moan... but I really do have to about this place. For £200 odd a night this is such a far cry from being good value. Do yourself a huge favour and head to Japamala - slightly more pricy but just fantastic. Rooms at Bagus are ok, no complaints there, it's just the rest of it... no real beach to enjoy. Honestly. The pictures just dont tell the truth. The only place to swim is off the jetty (a good walk) - where they carry out shark feeding every evening. I'm a great fan of the sea and its wildlife and was just blown away to see what was going on here. By feeding I mean emptying the bins of the evenings' kitchen rubbish - so included in that there were tea bags, plastic butter containers, other floating plastics, watermelon rinds etc. You name it, buckets of it went into the sea. When I quizzed the chap on such a practice (having seen one of the sharks gobble up some plastic) he merely looked at me and said, "they'll (the sharks) be fine and anything not eaten will just wash up." How is that anywhere close to being related to an 'eco' lodge. Utterly sad. Surely there are some regulations around this.?

Anyhow, back to the resort. I'm not sure how some reviews have suggested the food as being great - we were given coleslaw for a starter and some really suspect looking beef broth (water) for a main. I've eaten a lot of nasty food on my travels, when it's necessary and cheap, but this was just crazy for what we were paying. They had the audacity to then bring out the chef to compliment the poor bloke on his food! I didn't have the heart to tell the truth.

One day 1 into our 4 night stay we arranged to be checked out and we took a hit off 50% of the bill (paid up front) and moved to another location. If I were backpacking and paying maybe £30 a night this place would have been fine. Just dont do it to yourselves!

Room tip: Just dont go there.
Date of stay: August 2015
11  Thank Sean L

Dear Sean L,

Thank you for your feedback, we take note of your observations and Management seriously takes issues you have highlighted for improvement.

Have a nice day!