See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Dirty, dirty, dirty!
Very bad food (even for animals).
Unfriendly staff (especially at the reception).
I wonder if they ever cleaned a room/hall.
The windows were so dirty, we couldn't see the lake outside the hotel.
We payed €75/2nights. Even if they pay me €75, i wouldn't stay there one night.
Awful!

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
12  Thank 217thijss
Reviewed 2 April 2012

On our trip to Phuket we stayed one night in PhangNgaBayResort Hotel, remembering it's great location. A very unfriendly receptionist pointed on me: YOU FARANG, PAY 1.600 BT, on my Thai partner: YOU PAY 1.400 Bt. The guest checking in before us hat to pay 1.200 Bt BECAUSE HE'S CIVIL SERVANT. Remarkable: Guests have (obviously for good reasons!) to pay for their room before they get the key!
To make it short: the PHANG NGA BAY RESORT HOTEL is rotten inside and out, the rooms are extremely dirty, there are two lights in the ceiling, no lamp to read or just at the night stand, and the bed cover had not even a sheet to protect from earlier visitors sweat and dirt.
Obviously the pictures shown in the internet are many years old. The outside looks more black from rain and dirt than the original white paint.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
16  Thank Karl H M
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We were on a trip to krabi and decided to take a rest in this place for one night. It's such a strange place. It feels like a remnant of a defunct government or regime. Like the soviets built a hotel and then no one told the staff that the ussr doesn't exist anymore. The room and halls were dirty and outdated. The aircon sounded like a jet engine and yes the area is amazing but the view isn't that great. It's also miles from any restaurants or bars. We stayed for a total of 10 minutes before deciding to get the hell out. They refused to give us our money back. Keeping 500 baht for our 10 minute stay because and I quote ' its a government hotel and we have already sent your booking to them. They will think we're stealing.'

We had to stand at the front desk while they discussed us rudely in Thai. I speak a little Thai. And I understand the word for foreigner when I hear it which was rudely used over and over again.

Keep as far away from this place as you can. And then go a little further.

Date of stay: November 2011
14  Thank steveyblam
Reviewed 20 September 2011

we stayed in this hotel in may 2011 only for a day...what i can say is that it was not very pleasant....as it is a stopover for many tour conductors on their way to james bond island, this place becomes overfilled with tourists.....and the hotel looks like a guesthouse or motel.....the view from the hotel is excellent and the outdoor river side restaurant serves decent food with stunning views...the rooms are ok with basic amenities but needs upliftment to be called as a resort

Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
8  Thank aather
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Let me put this first : this hotel (maybe) never should have been built. It’s massive and has been erected in the heart of a precious National Park (Phang Nga NP). On the other hand, it IS there, and it should be used, albeit in order to not let it go bankrupt and turn into a disastrous ruin.
But at the same time, let's also have a look at its advantages : first, it offers magnificent views of a remarkable landscape, both from your room and from the breakfast area (a quite nice terrace). Secondly, you’re perfectly located here to start your discovery of the Phang Nga National Park, at any time of the day (but preferably early in the morning, when the hordes coming from Phuket haven’t reached this area yet …). And thirdly, it’s quite affordable. I paid 1.652 THB for a deluxe room, including taxes and breakfast (through HotelThailand.com). I went to have dinner in Phang Nga town in order to discover this small town. Breakfast at the hotel was reasonable, and above all, offered a great view !
Don’t expect an up-to-date accommodation with design features and amenities. But it’s a practical accommodation in between Phuket and Krabi, and located in a wonderful National Park. And during my stay here, everything was in good working order : from elevator (you will need it ! Ask for a room on the top floor for the best view) to shower, fridge, etc. On the downside : the AC was quite noisy and the pool wasn't worth mentioning. I found the hotel staff to be rather shy (their English is basic). As soon as I used a few words Thai, they turned out to be quite friendly and helpful.
This is a 3* property, or rather a 2*+. But all things considered, I didn’t regret my stay here !
Remark : Phang Nga is both the name for a province and a town. So many resorts advertise as being in Phang Nga (which is correct considering the name of the province) but they’re still quite remote from the actual National park. Phang Nga Bay Resort Hotel is right IN the Phang Nga National Park. The access to the hotel is located between Takua Thung and the town of Phang Nga itself. There is a National Park visitor center nearby.
One final recommendation : whatever you decide for accommodation, don’t miss Phang Nga National Park while being in South Thailand ! It’s divine ! And I’m not talking about James Bond Island, but about all the other places to discover in this area.

Room tip: ask for a room on the top floor.
Date of stay: October 2010