“Professional, Safe and Fun!”
Review of Big Blue Diving

Big Blue Diving
Ranked #4 of 91 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of Koh Tao's longest established Dive Centers offerring a full range of Scuba Diving Courses from Open Water to Scuba Instructor. Also specialists in Freediving, Technical Diving, Instructor Training & professional Underwater Videography and able to teach in all major languages & all courses including PADI, SSI, BSAC & TDI. Big Blue Diving, Koh Tao also offers FREE accommodation on days spent diving in shared AC dorms making it the most affordable dive center in the world! While also offering private AC bungalows on the beach as well as basic old skool style backpacker bungalows on the beach for those who'd rather pay a little extra for privacy. Awarded numerous prizes from all diving organisations & travel agencies & websites Big Blue Diving is everybodys favourite dive center.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
St Albans, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Professional, Safe and Fun!”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Arriving in Koh Tao it's difficult to know who to choose for diving and accommodation as it is so competitive. Big Blue has it all, free accommodation (if you're diving), excellent and knowledgeable staff, a great atmosphere and an excellent restaurant. The equipment we had was of a very good quality, the boat was fully equipped and the Dive sites were amazing. This was my first experience of Diving and it couldn't have been better, we learned a lot and had a lot of fun along the way. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Big Blue to anyone!

Visited July 2011

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Just bad”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Too many costumers (up to 54 on one boat), a general feeling of not feeling safe. Nice staff, but not good in general

5 Thank ACorell
Farnborough, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Big Blue Diving can only be described as epic!”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Having never dived before there is a little tension on the first day of your open water course, but that was quickly taken away by our amazing instructor Skui. Her enthusiasm and love of diving rubbed off on you instantly and made you feel totally at ease. The 3 day course was a joy from start to finish and implanted the diving bug instantly.
Having then decided to stay with big blue and dive till we left thailand it became clear that everyone at big blue are great people to be around, it is by far one of the most friendly places I have ever been.
Our advanced course was run by Guy who again was brilliant and the course was great fun but as with the open water course professionally run making sure that you come away with a proper diving education. Buy Guy a beer and get him talking about Star Wars and you wont be short of conversation!
At this point I had fallen in love with diving, Ko Tao and Big blue and it was suggested to me by some of the guys there to take the rescue diver course. The name makes the course sound scary but Med our instructor made it a great two days and was a really fantastic instructor. Coming away from that course I had a new confidence in diving and my air usage dropped instantly. The hell dive is one of the best things I have ever done!
Having spoke to a number of other divers during our stay it is clear that all the instructors and the DM's at big blue are great people, so you are guaranteed a great time whatever type of diving you are seeking. It is a great touch to see all the guys there staying around at the end of the day to have a drink and a chat with the customers, really does make you feel like part of the place while you are staying there.
In summary Big Blue is a fantastic place to spend some time when you are in thailand. The accommodation is great, the people are better and the diving is superb. I am already planning my next trip back, ignoring the rest of thailand and heading straight to big blue.
Thanks for the best two weeks I can remember!

Toronto, Canada
“Inoubliable !!”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I decided to go to Big blue instead of another diving resort simply because you get free accommodation when you do your open water certification ! I wasn't expecting anything but a good time ! well, it was even better ! The Staff is brilliant ! I did my open water certification and my advance one has well with Luke White ! An amazing guy who's really passionated and professional ! He's ready to do almost anything to make you succeed, and he's a really laid back instructor :) he will make it has easy has possible :) the resort is great ! the restaurant is really good ! though i have to say, my room could have been better. It was really humid and smelly... but can you really complain when it's free ? I can't wait to go back !

Thank you BB for the amazing experience and Give LUKE WHITE a pay raise :) he really deserved it !

Daphnee

Poland
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Probably one of the best on the island!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We have over 500 logged dives and twice as many unlogged, so we know a professional diving center when we see one. Big Blue is definitely one of them, with knowledgable and experienced diving instructors, especially Steven, a nudibranch freakguru, who's been able to spot even the tiniest of the tiny one's. Thanks again, Steven, for the dives we've had together, it's been fun! We've also seen him use his verbal whip once in a while to discipline the younger DMT's, so we KNOW the site is being run well. All equipment available on spot (ABC's, BCD's, wet suits of all sizes, regs), rather standard, but well maintained and taken care of (large wash tanks and professional storage). BB has two large, comfy doubledecked boats it uses to get the divers to the sites (oxygen on board, fruits and drinks served after dives). Dives organised on time and according to schedule. The dive sites itself are pretty, but rather for the undemanding divers, most of which we dived on were easy, quite shallow (max 30 m), rock formations with medium sized coral gardens, few large pelagic species, plenty of reef fishes, practically no currents. Visibility rather annoying at 5 - 25 m. Personally would recommend the Chumpron Pinnacle with nice swim throughs and depth up to 35 m, where whale sharks are sometimes sighted (schools of barracuda almost on an everyday basis) and the Red Rock with the Japanese Gardens at 10 m,  having one of the most beautifull coral formations I have ever seen.

That said, I consider it a pity we can not rate BB at a well deserved 4* level, having fallen victim to the rather less experienced staff's inability to follow the company's obligations. As a rule, upon 'check in' BB asks to leave the diver's passport in their deposit (obviously and understandably in order to guarantee swift payment for all dives) - on the basis of understanding it's full responsibility for it and obligation to return it immediately to customer, once all accounts are settled. In our case, things went wrong during 'check out', as we have been paying BB minutes before departure from island and got to the ferry without having our passports been returned. Having realised that minutes before departure, we went through a lot of nerves and additional costs (nonreimbursable!) to get them back on time. Of course, one could say we should have remembered ourselves (true, too!), but BB's obligations here are obvious, as well as harsh consequences in case of BB's flop up, which are sadly borne by their customers ALONE. Unneccassary risk and possible concern for all BB's customers, especially as leaving diver cards instead of passports with dive centers around the globe is being considered a customary practice.

2 Thank Burek_Polny