See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I loved my stay at The Hive, so much that I extended by an extra week! Haha. Friendly doesn't give these girls enough credit, they honestly welcome you and treat you like family from the moment you arrive. They invite you into their home, cook food for us guests, join in for a drink, games, everything. The rooms are new and comfortable and everyone I met there was fun and nice. They have free WiFi, free breakfast and coffee/tea! A cup of coffee alone on Koh Tao usually costs about 70b a cup! So I thought the value for money was outstanding. I will be back!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

We booked here after reading the hostel's description on booking.com, however on arrival we were disappointed with what we found.

Firstly their address on Facebook is wrong and will take you to the completely wrong side of the island! So please don't use that. It's nearer the North of the island, towards the top of Sairee beach.

Online the hostel boasts a "bar" and "garden", as well as a "free breakfast". Well the 'bar' is merely a small self-serve coolbox by reception selling only beer, and the 'garden' is one table and bench out the front of the hostel. The free breakfast, albeit free, was toast and strawberry jam with tea or coffee. HOWEVER the time of breakfast depended on what time the young female staff decided to get up and lay it outside - our roommate told us that there wasn't any breakfast the day before we arrived as the girls "love a party" and didn't get up in time to put the bread/jam/water out front because they were too hungover. We didn't even get breakfast on our last day, despite telling staff we'd be leaving at 8am, because they don't bother to get out of bed until they choose to. At least they were honest about it though.

We had a double bed in a dorm room - which was basically an ex-private room with 2 bunkbeds squished up against each-other right next to the bed, and a bathroom. We obviously knew what we had booked, however we were not expecting it to be such a tight squeeze, especially for the price we paid for one bed.

Towels are not available to rent here, so make sure you bring your own! Air con is only allowed to be on at night, and staff come into the rooms in the morning to turn it off and take away the remote. Fair enough if they are trying to save money I guess. The wifi didn't seem to work for us. Also the room door is always unlocked and there's no where to lock your valuables, so best to take them with you whenever you head out.

On another note, the room originally had a fridge and a tv on arrival, however over the course of 2 days, both vanished whilst we were out (good job we hadn't left anything in the fridge!) along with my diary which I had left atop it. When we noticed it was missing having left the island a week later, we messaged the hostel asking whether they had seen it, and they took 2 days after they had initially read the message to reply saying they hadn't seen it. Not completely their fault as I hadn't realised it was missing until a week later, however it was odd of them to move furniture around whilst they had a full room of guests staying there with all their personal belongings. Also, on their online description, the hostel says rooms have a tea/coffee maker, toaster etc which just wasn't the case.

Besides this, there was a very friendly woman who I assumed either lived or worked at the hostel. But she was the only one who seemed to make an effort. The hostel is a 15 minute walk to the nearest beach and restaurants. We got our laundry done here too, and although took a day longer than we were told it would take, it came back nicely cleaned and folded.

I just wouldn't stay here again. Hostels on Koh Tao are plentiful and I'm sure there are much better options, better value for money and exceptionally better customer service than this place.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

The hostel is quite new but we did not like our stay at all.
It was loud and some people were really rude.
Specially if you wanna go diving and have to get up early, this is nothing for you. Furthermore is the location not very close to the beach and the owners aren't very interested in their customers. There are plenty of better opportunities.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple