“Nice resort, beautiful location, but too overpriced...”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stayed at this resort in January 2011 for 4 nights which seemed perfect length. The resort was beautiful and paradise-like, but in our opinion slightly overpriced. I didn't want to write the review just immediately after our return, so I would write my honest impression on it after a while.
1) the boat to the resort is very expensive and as you cannot reach there in any other way, you have to pay lots of money to get to the resort. It was nice welcome as one way (to the resort) we were taken by fast motorboat and paid just the price as for the longtail boat. The return way was by longtail boat and as weather was great that day, it was a very nice trip and not at all inconvenient. However, if the weather is stormy, it may be unpleasant I imagine.

2) The private villa that we had was amazing and bottled mineral water was refilled daily. We also had some welcome fruit which was a nice touch too. Everything was really perfect and even though we had one of the villas at the back of the resort, we didn't see any problem, as the beach was such a short walking distance. One day I felt disappointed that after bed sheets changing we got torn bed sheets (with a hole!) and the same with the towel which also had a bog hole! It was a bit shocking and made me upset a bit, as you don't want to get into trouble and call the reception to explain all that. You wouldn't expect that in a 5* hotel. The service came very fast, probably within 5-10 minutes and there appeared even 2 man to change it and apologise, which I felt was showing they wanted to compensate the mistake. Still, I felt for making a mistake like that 5* hotel should have offered "sorry" compensation as fruits delivered to our room or free massage, etc. I want to stress that service in the whole resort was nice and professional, but I think the fact they haven't done anything after what has happened shows that they either are not very customer focused or they don't have time to do such nice gestures. If they would do something, we probably would praise them and completely forgotten about that, but even a year on this is what we remember.

3) Food was very overpriced, so we were eating in the small village just behind where you can find fantastic food. Don't go far, as the best place is just outside the back entrance to the resort. We once thought that the village about which we read so much was much more far away, so we went there and ate at one of the places, but it wasn't as good as the place next to the resort. The best place to eat was called Pad-Thai restaurant. They had amazing food, grilled or fried fish, really nice Pad-Thai too. Apart from our breakfasts that were included in our nightly rate, we never ate at the resort, although were considering it several times. It always ended up that we ate in Pad-Thai, so I cannot really say if the quality of food was good in the resort. However, we ate in plenty other places around Thailand and food in village was excellent.
I think resort should lower the prices in their restaurants as I'm sure if they would be 50% cheaper, most of the guests would eat in the resort and the resort would still make much profit on it.

4) Excursion trips as snorkelling, etc. We read before we went about the trips organised by private companies vs the ones organised by the resort. We bought our trip also in the village from a very nice man who owns Red Hot Chilli. He is amazing and definitely can be trusted. Such a nice person and we also saved so much money. The trip that he sold us was superb and it was a day long trip around all the nearby islands with snorkelling and we went to see Maya Bay, monkey beach, moskito island and we were also given a very good lunch. The trip was on a very new, modern boat. We also saved loads of money on it. Definite must!

5) we came in January during the high-season as they say the weather is almost guaranteed. Out of 4 days in the resort, we were not lucky as 2 days were a bit cloudy and 1 day we were out on the trip. Of course resort cannot be blamed, but just a note for some people in case they expect full sun.

6) As much as the sea was nice, we didn't swim in it too much as there were some very tiny pieces of jelly fish. I couldn't figure out what it was but there were plenty of them and although they didn't look like jellyfish, it stung us many times slightly. It was so little that it wouldn't make any harm at all, but it was just unpleasant and I wasn't too encouraged to swim in the sea too much, even though I'm a good swimmer.

7) Beach was amazing and like in paradise, as even though the whole resort was fully booked, you could barely see and feel people on the beach. There is also an amazing swimming pool.

8) We went to yoga class but we felt not much was happening -activity wise. It's more sort of relaxing place, so if you are looking for animation like aerobic classes or aqua gym, you won't find it here. If there were any activities, as the mentioned yoga, it wasn't well advertised by the resort to us even when we were looking for something, we couldn't find much.

All in all, I think the hotel has a superbe location and great private villas, but it's more 4* hotel. Accommodation should be sold at lower price and the same for food. I think if it would be cheaper, I wouldn't have so many concerns and I wouldn't be shocked at the view of bed sheets and towels with big holes :) Shortly after staying there we said we wouldn't be back, as we thought it's better to stay in less known places that are often as good but so much cheaper... but who knows, if they offer us cheaper prices in the future and well priced food, who knows...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Joanna K
There are newer reviews for Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort

Reviewed 14 March 2012

We went to Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort & Spa for a friends wedding. Let me say the wedding was fantastic and we all had a great time. The resort on the other hand was nice, slightly dated but in all good. We stayed in a villa pool room, great size good pool amazing view.

What we really were disappointed about was the service. The time to get a drink at the bar ranged from 10 minutes to 25, there service was pathetic, considering western prices you expect great service. The other major issue was the lack of english the staff spoke it was herendous. They spoke terrible english and it made it hard to get anything done. It got to a point where it was so frustrating that we and a few others in our party left early.

Breakfast was the highlight, Dinner was ordinary to say the least the buffet was small with little choice and the quality ordinary.

All in all DO NOT go here your money can be used so much better in many beautiful resorts in Thailand

Room Tip: Pool villa rooms are great, doors locking and stuff proves a challenge
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TheJandtheV
chao-t, General Manager at Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear TheJandtheV

Thank you for taking time to pass on your experiences at your friends wedding at Phi Phi Island Beach Resort and Spa. We're very glad the wedding was fantastic and that you all had a great time. On the various points where our service wasn't up to standard -- serving drinks fast enough and English language not good enough -- we sincerely apologize for that. We are constantly working to upgrade the English skills of our staff as well as restaurant skills. Thank you once again for your useful comments.
-- Mr Chao, General Manager

Reviewed 14 March 2012

My first visit to Phi Phi was in 1994. Those were the "good" old days where you could find beachfront bungalows close to the pier at 10 US per night. Those days are gone. And I must admit I was very reluctant to go back. I heard how PP had developed into a turist trap but my boyfriend had never been there and really wanted to go. So we did. The main reason for us to go was the scuba diving.
The resort itself is huge. And when we arrived I said - I will be leaving in a few days! But I changed my mind. Despite the resort being so big you do actually not really notice. Because they have the entire beach - and that is quite long - you never really feel the crowds. Even when we returned late in the afternoon after diving we could always find a sunbed somewhere. The pool is very big - and again did not at all feel crowded. So this was really nice.
The resort is a 4 or 5 star place - and with that comes totally unreasonable pricing. They have themed dinners every evening and in general that will come to app. 150 US for 2 adults & 1 child! Far, far too expensive for Thailand. And the prices on drinks, water etc are just as crazy. BUT there is a solution. If you walk out the back end of the resort you will find a small "street" with a couple of restaurants as well as small supermarkets where you can stock up water, Coke etc. The best restaurant we found was over the bridge and to the left - owned by 2 sisters of which one of them lost her husbond and children in the Tsunami. They probably made the best food I have had on my 10 trips to Thailand. So the backside of the resort is definitely worth exploring - and helps to keep your costs down.
The rooms are ok but not really anything special taking the price into account. But the breakfast which is included in the rate was outstanding! There was everything you could dream of from omelets to fresh fruit, bread, cheese, yogurt etc. Best I have had so far in Thailand.
The dive center was very good. Expensive but also went out with small groups which was highly appreciated. They even managed to get me a private snorkling guide for my son so that I could dive - very service minded. Do go on the "shark seeker" snorkle trip! You get to snorkle with a high number of black tipped reef sharks - a fantastic experience in a world where we are killing more and more sharks. They are not at all dangerous and even my 7 year old son was very excited about the experience.
So my overall conclusion is that the setting is great, the diving is good and if you eat outside the resort you can manage on a decent budget once the quite expensive room is paid for.
But if your plan is to stay on the resort and eat/drink there - then make sure you bring a decent vallet! You will pay for it.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

We checked into this resort after our 12 day tour in Singapore and Malaysia. As soon as we landed we were delighted with the kind of welcome we had at the airport. We were picked up by the hotel van and brought to a the place where a private yatch of the hotel was ready to pick us up. During our wait to board the yatch we were offered drinks and wet towels to refresh our selves.

As soon as we boarded the Yatch the journey to the Island was a beautiful experience. We spend the whole time on the top of the Yatch. On landing at the resort we had a very warm welcome and were offered welcome drinks. Till we finished the welcome drinks our check in process was complete and all our luggage was in the lobby from the Yatch. We were given a brief overview of the resort so that we could enjoy all its facilities.

We stayed there for 3 nights and felt that we should have stayed a bit longer. A lot of activities at the resort as well as various snorkeling and island hopping tours....We had so me great time at the pool and the evenings were just great at the bar with live music...Its long private beach had some very scenic and different beauty at every part of the day...
Wonderful experience...Its a place were you can unwind yourself...Would love to visit again. Sorry to have written my review so late...Was at the resort in Feb 2010

Reviewed 10 March 2012

paradisiac hotel, Thai people very cool, and a fantastic diving center with experimented diving masters who can bring you far to make you discover best diving sites around. safe dives, confortable boat and good food!!!
I recommend if you stay with your family, it's the 4th time we go there.
nice bungalows, very calm resort, and possibility to go to Tonsai with longtails all the time.
Holidays for everybody.