We stayed at this resort in January 2011 for 4 nights which seemed perfect length. The resort was beautiful and paradise-like, but in our opinion slightly overpriced. I didn't want to write the review just immediately after our return, so I would write my honest impression on it after a while.
1) the boat to the resort is very expensive and as you cannot reach there in any other way, you have to pay lots of money to get to the resort. It was nice welcome as one way (to the resort) we were taken by fast motorboat and paid just the price as for the longtail boat. The return way was by longtail boat and as weather was great that day, it was a very nice trip and not at all inconvenient. However, if the weather is stormy, it may be unpleasant I imagine.
2) The private villa that we had was amazing and bottled mineral water was refilled daily. We also had some welcome fruit which was a nice touch too. Everything was really perfect and even though we had one of the villas at the back of the resort, we didn't see any problem, as the beach was such a short walking distance. One day I felt disappointed that after bed sheets changing we got torn bed sheets (with a hole!) and the same with the towel which also had a bog hole! It was a bit shocking and made me upset a bit, as you don't want to get into trouble and call the reception to explain all that. You wouldn't expect that in a 5* hotel. The service came very fast, probably within 5-10 minutes and there appeared even 2 man to change it and apologise, which I felt was showing they wanted to compensate the mistake. Still, I felt for making a mistake like that 5* hotel should have offered "sorry" compensation as fruits delivered to our room or free massage, etc. I want to stress that service in the whole resort was nice and professional, but I think the fact they haven't done anything after what has happened shows that they either are not very customer focused or they don't have time to do such nice gestures. If they would do something, we probably would praise them and completely forgotten about that, but even a year on this is what we remember.
3) Food was very overpriced, so we were eating in the small village just behind where you can find fantastic food. Don't go far, as the best place is just outside the back entrance to the resort. We once thought that the village about which we read so much was much more far away, so we went there and ate at one of the places, but it wasn't as good as the place next to the resort. The best place to eat was called Pad-Thai restaurant. They had amazing food, grilled or fried fish, really nice Pad-Thai too. Apart from our breakfasts that were included in our nightly rate, we never ate at the resort, although were considering it several times. It always ended up that we ate in Pad-Thai, so I cannot really say if the quality of food was good in the resort. However, we ate in plenty other places around Thailand and food in village was excellent.
I think resort should lower the prices in their restaurants as I'm sure if they would be 50% cheaper, most of the guests would eat in the resort and the resort would still make much profit on it.
4) Excursion trips as snorkelling, etc. We read before we went about the trips organised by private companies vs the ones organised by the resort. We bought our trip also in the village from a very nice man who owns Red Hot Chilli. He is amazing and definitely can be trusted. Such a nice person and we also saved so much money. The trip that he sold us was superb and it was a day long trip around all the nearby islands with snorkelling and we went to see Maya Bay, monkey beach, moskito island and we were also given a very good lunch. The trip was on a very new, modern boat. We also saved loads of money on it. Definite must!
5) we came in January during the high-season as they say the weather is almost guaranteed. Out of 4 days in the resort, we were not lucky as 2 days were a bit cloudy and 1 day we were out on the trip. Of course resort cannot be blamed, but just a note for some people in case they expect full sun.
6) As much as the sea was nice, we didn't swim in it too much as there were some very tiny pieces of jelly fish. I couldn't figure out what it was but there were plenty of them and although they didn't look like jellyfish, it stung us many times slightly. It was so little that it wouldn't make any harm at all, but it was just unpleasant and I wasn't too encouraged to swim in the sea too much, even though I'm a good swimmer.
7) Beach was amazing and like in paradise, as even though the whole resort was fully booked, you could barely see and feel people on the beach. There is also an amazing swimming pool.
8) We went to yoga class but we felt not much was happening -activity wise. It's more sort of relaxing place, so if you are looking for animation like aerobic classes or aqua gym, you won't find it here. If there were any activities, as the mentioned yoga, it wasn't well advertised by the resort to us even when we were looking for something, we couldn't find much.
All in all, I think the hotel has a superbe location and great private villas, but it's more 4* hotel. Accommodation should be sold at lower price and the same for food. I think if it would be cheaper, I wouldn't have so many concerns and I wouldn't be shocked at the view of bed sheets and towels with big holes :) Shortly after staying there we said we wouldn't be back, as we thought it's better to stay in less known places that are often as good but so much cheaper... but who knows, if they offer us cheaper prices in the future and well priced food, who knows...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A dream-like boutique resort situated on a private 800 metre stretch of pristine white sand beach lapped by the turqoise waters of the Andaman Sea. The resort is set on 70 acres of coconut palm plantations, in the privacy of Loh Ba Gao Bay on Phi Phi Island. Accommodation is comprised of 144 traditional Thai style bungalows and 12 exclusively private Hillside Pool Villas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Expedia APAC, Agoda, Booking.com, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Cancelon, Hotelopia and getaroom.com so you can book your Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort And Spa
- Phi Phi Island Village Beach Hotel Ko Phi Phi Don
- Phi Island Village Beach Hotel
- Phi Island Village Beach Resort
- Phi Phi Island Village Resort