“Isolation on Party Island” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tohko Beach Resort

Tohko Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Bath, United Kingdom
“Isolation on Party Island”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

So I don't regret staying here, it was an experience. We stayed in a bamboo hut, which was glorified camping (which I enjoy!), with an outdoor bathroom, with brown water coming out of the sink (but that's a tiny island for you). The noise of the sea soon goes from being romantic to a relentless noise (not for light sleepers)

You can walk to the main town, which takes about an hour through the jungle, which was fun. You can get the Toh Ko boat for 100 baht, but this does tend to leave when it wants to, or if the weather looks ok (the sea gets rough here). To get a boat back it will cost 600 baht from the pier... which was a bit of a blow to the budget.

The food here is, however, very good! and reasonably priced. Staff are friendly.

Koh Phi Phi has been branded a dump by a lot of people, but it had a good vibe, and compared to other places in Thailand, this place was bustling with activity. I would rather stay in the town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hebrew first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Thus place is set in a beach in the quiet side of the island. The rooms are VERY OVERPRICED for what they are. The service was not great as none of them know how to smile, and that makes alot of difference. Our room was the closest to the main bit and was near the sewer and kitchen, which made for some interesting smells. If like me you are prone to some insect bites, do not come here. There are no insect guards on the windows and bad nets. OVERPRICED FOR THE STANDARD!

• Stayed March 2012

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

If you want luxury, then stop reading here and book somewhere else. If you want a natural and relaxing experience then continue.

My partner and I stayed here for a few nights in November 2011.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, we found it extremely relaxing, isolated and romantic. The staff are extremely professional and friendly, they will make you feel welcome from the moment you step of the boat. The experience of this place was very pleasent and I would happily take my partner here again, but only for a few nights.
Separate reviews in regards to Toh Ko highlight issues such as not being able to get out and about after dark, and then go on to complain about noise... To me this is ludicrous!, its like going on holiday to London and complaining that there are too many people!. Book Toh Ko if you want isolation and relaxation, if you want anything more than that then don't go to a beach resort on a small island that is clearly advertised as only being accessible by boat!.

My partner and I often stay in pricey hotels, and we loved this place, we left with big smiles on our faces and not a single complaint.

--Rooms-- There are different rooms available all in the beach hut style. The more expensive rooms have air con, television and windows (dont bother, if you want these things then go somewhere else). The other rooms, are beach front huts, that are extremely basic, but this is part of the experience. You have electricity from 1800-0600, no hot water and a fan. I actually found the bed very comfortable, it is a mattress raised on bamboo enclosed in a mosquito net, which to my patner and I, was beautiful (and very clean). The rooms also have a small balcony, sea front of course, with extremely comfortable hammocks, that will easily fit 2 people, if you are a bit adventurous. At night time, the tide comes in directly below the room and you can fall to sleep listening to the sound of the waves breaking beneath you, amazing. People complain about the cold water, but once again this is clearly highlighted on the resorts web site, so to those who write these thoughts, please stop wasting peoples time informing them on what they already know, its boring and ignorant. I read the report about rats, which is a shame, but, to put your minds at rest, I cant see this as a realistic problem on the beach front huts as they are raised on stilts and accessible by stairs.The only con - in my opinion the huts are too close together, which results in you being able to hear other guests. This is a problem but certainly not an unbearable one. But you will be so relaxed that I doubt this will bother you too much.

--Service-- 10/10, if I was the owner a 5 star hotel I would happily employ the staff from this resort. All smiles, all professional and all friendly. My parnter and I are quite fussy, and we asked to be shown the rooms from both sides of the resort (A fair walk). The owner was more than happy to walk us around the whole resort and wait for us whilst we discussed our options, of course with a big smile on her face. Nothing here is a problem and every request is met with a smile. I think the staff here could teach a lot of 5* hotel staff a thing or two about service. The professional and relaxed attitude of the staff emphasises the relaxing and laid back attitude of the resort.

--Food and drink-- Food - Beautiful and cheap, as expected in the majority of Thailand. I have eaten in top class restaurants yet the food at Toh Ko stays is a more significant memory to me. Try everything here, the smoothies are amazing, the curries are flavoursome and fun. in my opinion, easily tops any London restaurants. The restaurant is small and basic, but we loved it, we sat together each night eating authentic Thai food looking out over the sea. There is plenty of drink available from multiple coolers.

--Location/Activities-- Kho Phi Phi, not much more to say on location :-). Within Phi Phi the resort is quite isolated and only accessible by boat, approx 10 mins from the town and port. The resort provide this service (but you might have to call them and give them a polite reminder once you have arrived). Activity wise, there is nothing really apart from the beach, that said there is a bar and a pleasent walk to a high view point. We did neither of these things because we were too busy chilling out, relaxing and eating. The beach is quite nice, not breath taking but certainly pleasurable, and of course the sea is lovely. To me, the days here flew by because you are so relaxed doing absoulutely nothing.

The resort is a bit pricey for Thailand, especially when you compare what you get to other Phi Phi resorts for similar prices. That said, we would have to return here if I went to Phi Phi because my partner and I simply love it. I wouldn't advice staying here for much more than 4 days, but if you are looking for an isolated and chilled relaxing few days then Toh Ko is a must. What could be more perfect then drinking chilled white wine, looking out over the ocean, listening to the waves break beneath you, whilst gently swaying on the hammock that is part of your own private balcony?
Easy going couples, Toh Ko should be on your to-do list.

Room Tip: Pre-book the beach front huts on the left hand side (when facing the sea). Don't waste miss out...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael J
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

At 2500 bhat we were expecting a beautiful bungalow with ocean views....the room we initially got shown was alive with insects and small and pokey, so we immediately asked to move. The bamboo but we moved Into was beautifully hand crafted but the mosquito net above the bed was full of dead Mosquitos and the light switch was covered in dead ants. The beach was not for sunbathing and the water was rocky and felt unsafe. We planned to stay here for four nights however o my stayed two and then moved to long beach which is a few bays down. There is only this resort on this stretch if beach however they do have long boats taking you into long beach and ton sai for 100 baht per person one way. One good point is that the staff and food was hood but not somewhere we would ever go back to

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Veesara
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Pros - staff were great. Food good. Peaceful at night (only). Secluded. Good snorkelling right in front of the resort. Beach huts were lovely but very basic. Ok place for 1 or 2 nights

Little con depending on your view point - you really are stuck there and need to pay 200baht per person to get anywhere by tailboat. If you want to chill and do absolutely nothing then this fine. We were always glad to get back from the madness of Tonsai.

General cons - beach small and not great. Also in 5days we got no linen change/loo roll added.

Major con - although the noise of long tail boats is a feature of the area it is particularly bad here as it is right next to the longtailboat highway around Phi Phi and to the other islands. They come very close to the shoreline and from about 10am there is one about every 5mins - more at peak times. It is like a loud lawn mower constantly going past. Not peaceful!!! In fact we left a day early because of it and went to Ao nang which was actually quieter.

Oh and the beach huts are v cute but take ear plugs as the waves crashing underneath you are extremely noisy at night. We didn't mind (as we did have ear plugs) but other guests did.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple