“Central location, decent rooms, but room not as advertised”

P. P. Palm Tree Resort
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I had booked a pool access room for 2 nights. This was advertised and pictured to be a room where you could step off your balcony into the pool. However when I arrived I was shown to a ground floor room which did not have direct access to the pool, when it seemed like every other ground floor room did. I asked the bellboy if my room was a "pool access room" and he said no. I went to reception to alert them to the fact that I had not been given the room I paid for, but the reception kept insisting that it was a "pool access room", despite the inability to walk from the balcony directly into the pool. I asked for a room where you could step directly into the pool, but they said they did not have any double rooms like that still available. They refused to refund the difference, saying that I had to take it up with Agoda, as I had booked through Agoda.

Apart from the bad experience, the rooms and bathroom were decent and clean, although quite small, and it is a good location if you like to be in the centre of the main town area.

The pool area was nice, and there were massage jets on one end of the pool, which were very nice.

The breakfast was just ok, and did not have much variety.

The service was not great, especially for a hotel of this price. One night we ran out of toilet paper, and rang reception to ask for more. They told us to come to reception to get it, when most hotels in my experience would have delivered it to our room. In fact, most hotels would have ensured there was enough toilet paper when the room was cleaned.

Overall the hotel was just ok, but seeing there is not a lot of choice in Phi Phi, it might be one of the better ones in the centre of town. I was satisfied with my stay, although there is room for improvement.

2  Thank Experimentee

Reviewed 22 September 2012

There is no good way to describe how horrendous of an experience the five friends and I experienced. In summary, this hotel has the worst service I have ever experienced in my whole life. I travel 6 months out of the year and have never experienced anything like it.

Our trip started in phi phi at one of their sister hotels on the island, "Banyan". We were not impressed and were recommended by a travel agent on the island the Palm tree. The only thing we were told we could not do was, smoke. Which is ok, since none of us do.

The day we moved our luggage I was personally taking scuba classes and when I arrived I was asked to bring my passport down. I said no problem, I just need to shower and unpack and would be down in 15 min. within the next 10 min, I received 6 phone calls with a woman yelling at me. I explained I was getting dressed and on the 6th call(now 10 min mark)that I'd be kicked out if I did not bring my passport. I then calmly explained she'd have to wait and brought it down.

Now if this were the only issue, I definitely would not be writing a bad review. However, in the course of the stay, we repeatedly had issues. We were held up for bribes by security and the front desk for 4,000 baht (2k to the hotel, 2k cash to security and frontdesk) for our friend checking into our 3rd room(she was late and came in at the evening). When we calmly explained that she was the second person in the room, the front desk called 3 security officers, one of which took out his bully club. If there were not a group of us, we would have have been severely hurt.

This sounds very out of this world. But after talking they tried to justify their behavior with a mysterious sign stating, "Any guests arriving after 10pm will be charged 2,000 baht". Not wanting to argue, we produced our credit card, and were then told it had to be cash. Later on, after arguing that they would our passports and let our other friend (filling our 2 person room) but we had to bring cash at 6am.

We won't go on about the hotel anymore, you get the idea. In summary: be ready to bribe the staff, be held up if you bring someone who is not registered correctly, constantly harassed, and to pay a premium. However, if you take out the bad service, the hotel is one of the nicest and convenient on the island. It's unfortunate that, the service is the pits.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank bombadilio
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We loved the rooms and the pool of this hotel and while it is a bit over priced we would probably go back. There was a fairly good selection of food for breakfast and the omlettes were our faviourite. The receptionists weren't particularly friendly but they weren't rude either. There weren't always enough sunbeds by the pool and the pool is rather small. Overall though, this is a good hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012

There is just one good isuue - The location, The heart of Phi Phi.

The stuff in the reception is not welcoming at all. The rooms are small, smell bad, and very old. The Wi-FI didn't work because the rain, though all other the places in the island had the WI-FI, so we sat in restaurants to have it. The breakfast is clean, but has poor variety. The public areas looked good in the pictures, but not in the reality.

Level of Bad Guest house with hotel's prices- Not recommended at all.

Room Tip: To have another hotel.