“Spectacular Seafood”

Mum's Kitchen
Ranked #16 of 353 Restaurants in Panjim
Price range: USD 20 - USD 27
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Since 1997, Mum’s Kitchen has progressively served rare examples of the cuisine of Goa; it’s a growing movement striving to save the Goan cuisine from extinction. This place is also a tribute to “Mothers” from far flung corners of Goa for having contributed In compiling exclusive traditional recipes, the result being a range of food so exquisite it’s a testimony to the rich Goan culture.
Reviewed 8 January 2017

We enjoyed magnificent King prawns butterflied and superb prawn curry along with delicately fried fish which was amazing. The appetizers were equally delicious! The service is so precise. A gem of a restaurant which deserves to be at the top of your list.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

This is a restaurant that we found during our recent trip to Panjim. The restaurant located in Panjim serves very authentic Goan and Konkani cuisine. We understood that their aim is to keep going the traditional food and to the best of our knowledge they do that by ensuring the food is authentic. The fish fry, fish curry rice and other items ordered were truly amazing. Don't miss while you are in Panjim.

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

This is another outstanding restaurant. The staff are very knowledgeable. Being unfamiliar with Goan cuisine, we were a little intimidated by the menu and selections. But this was moment. Our server listened attentively to the kinds of things we like to eat and suggested a few menu items. We selected a prawn curry and sides made with moong beans and a red chard. Our choice was outstanding! Coupled with a side of Goan rice, the meal was memorable. We topped off the meal with green tea and caramel pudding, which tasted like a very decent flan. I highly recommend this restaurant. It has an interesting front garden, tasteful pictorial decorations, and food which will not disappoint.

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

It's been quite well documented that this place has history and is famous for Goan food. So we decided to try it on New Years . First up the starter portions are too small - we ordered a chicken dish and a potato dish . The chicken tasted good but the potato starter was lazily done. Some portions cooked better than the other , and visually boring matched by lack of any taste or flavour.
For mains there was prawn balchao, a veg dish , sanna , rice. Their complimentary bread basket is great and the sanna is outstanding. The prawn balchao was too spicy for my Goan husband to handle and we were told that it's that way to maintain authenticity. Perhaps it is. The veg dish in coconut sauce was very ordinary. There is a kokum/ coconut milk drink which was the find of the place. Truly refreshing and unique. Overall the food was not worth the price and they should either increase portion size or change the rates. They also need to pay attention to the taste and flavour of all dishes served to keep up to the reputation which has been built over years.

Reviewed 6 January 2017

I was misguided by the name of the restaurant. I was expecting a simple set up where they served homely food, the way mother's cook. But I was surprised to see a tastefully decorated fine dining restaurant.

The menu was elaborate and we had tough time choosing what we wanted to eat. But what shocked me was the prices. The prices were clearly 5-star rates and for a moment I was taken aback. No mother will charge her child 5-star rates for the food right ?!

Next is the authentic cuisine they assured. No doubts the food tasted authentic. But the risk with authentic food is that you may or may not have a liking to the flavors. Some of the authentic flavors may have acquired taste and for a first-timer, it may not feel great on the taste buds, though one may slowly acquire a liking for the taste by eating the same frequently. But for a one-time diner, authentic food might be a 50-50 chance depending on how much of a food adventurer one was.Especially when it comes at a 5 star rate, it makes one think twice if it is really worth it. I am willing to pay a premium for something absolutely exotic but may be not for anything that is authentic from mother's kitchen. there comes my disconnect with this restaurant.

I had the classic Goan Prawn Curry with rice. My son tried the pork sausage pulao which he said was very good as well. I only wish the prices helped me see the value.

While relishing the food you might get a motherly feel which transforms to a step-motherly feeling when the bill arrives. :)

1  Thank Shiv K