“Anthony's Key Resort is Fabulous”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Anthony's Key Resort is a wonderful destination for those wanting to snorkel or dive. The cabana we stayed in was always cleaned well and had the basic ammenities needed for a week of fun in the sun. The hammock on the deck was so relaxing. Beware the restaurant is UPSTAIRS. If you do not like climbing stairs, I would recommend staying off the water. After a few times climbing the steps, it becomes second nature though. The food was quite good and the service from all staff members was second to none. The staff really made the trip fun. We took our four year old, and she enjoyed it more than Disney, and it was relaxing for us! I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Room 12 is right on the water and allows you to obtain the water taxi easily. It is also a great lo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank princehugo1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed 8 August 2012

This was our first time diving and snorkeling. AKR made this trip easy, fun, and so memorable. Our boys took the kids camp - one became a diver, one a great snorkeler. The food was marvelous...fresh and oh so good. The staff at AKR was ALWAYS helpful, fun to be with, and kind. I'm not a fan of being at a resort, but I hope to go back to Anthony's Key someday! (August 2010)

Room Tip: Rooms on the hill were great - surrounded by trees, a/c, and comfortable. The rooms on Anthony'...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank fishead6427
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This was my first visit to Roatan and I chose Anthony's Key Resort specifically for their in-house dolphin research facility (the Roatan Institute for Marine Science). RIMS offers a trainer-for-a-day program that is one of the most unique in the world and it was one of the main reasons I visited the island at all. Arrival at Roatan's airport is kind of chaotic and it takes a while to get all of the guests & their bags in the free shuttle to the hotel. Once I arrived at the hotel (now part of a group with my fellow shuttle passengers) we were all given a "summer-camp" style orientation in the open-air lobby. We filled out registration cards and were given our room keys & wristbands and then invited to have lunch in the restaurant before heading to our bungalows. I wasn't crazy about this group check-in process as I was traveling solo and had specific questions relating to my stay that I didn't get to ask so I had to come back to the front desk later. The whole arrival process made me feel like I had signed up for some kind of group tour.

Once I arrived at my Key Superior bungalow (#23), I was pleased with the amenities. It was clean, neatly-furnished, well air-conditioned and very comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it was connected by a deck & sandwiched between two other bungalows only 3-4ft apart meaning that I had to keep my drapes drawn completely anytime I was in the room due to frequent foot traffic in front of my floor to ceiling windows.

The resort itself is lovely and supremely relaxing. Meals are included with the daily rate and I found the food in the restaurant to be very good and the service excellent. The choices may be somewhat limited for some but I felt like I had something delicious at each meal. There was always a fresh seafood option available.

The resort is separated into 3 parts, the mainland where the restaurant, bar, front desk, dive shop,etc are located, Anthony's Key where most of the bungalows and the pool are located and Bailey's Key which is home to the dolphin lagoon and a quiet beach. By far, my favorite part of the resort was Bailey's Key. Each day I took the water taxi over to the key during the quiet lunch hour or late in the afternoon and sat on the dock and just watched the dolphins at play in the lagoon. They were so fun to watch and I felt like i had them all to myself.

I'm not a diver so I can't speak to the dive operation but certainly all of the divers I met there seemed extremely pleased. On my last day, I did the dolphin Trainer-for-a-day program and it was absolutely one of the best travel experiences I've ever had. Trainer,Christine, spent her whole day with me showing me the behind the scenes operations at the center and introducing me to all of the 26 dolphins who make their home at Bailey's Key. The care and attention the dolphins receive there is amazing and it made me feel good to have spent my money on a dolphin experience where these beautiful animals are truly loved and appreciated. Each dolphin we worked with seemed eager to interact and excited to practice behaviors with me when Christine introduced me to their hand signal techniques. If the dolphins don't want to interact, they don't and no one makes them. All of the dolphins at RIMS are free to do as they please which makes it all the more special when they want to interact with you.

It was an amazing day and I can't recommend the trainer-for-a-day program highly enough. It's so much more rewarding than just the standard dolphin kiss photo op (though they make even brief dolphin encounters pretty special at RIMS). The resort as a whole was terrific but, for me, the dolphin center made my stay.

Also, don't miss the free dolphin show at 11:30am Fri-Sun and the hiking trail at Carambola Botanical Gardens across the street from the resort's entrance. Entry fee was $8 and the views overlooking the resort were fantastic from the top of the trail.

Room Tip: As for the Key Superior bungalows, I think mine (#23) was probably one of the ones with the worst lo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank RTWin30days
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My wife and I were at Anthony's Key Resort for a July 2012 dive trip. To quickly summarize, it was absolutely fantastic. We couldn't have been more pleased with everything.

Our divemaster (Marvin) was top notch. He was all about safety, but still had a sense of humor and a great personality. When I asked, Marvin explained that he had 3 years experience filling and fixing tanks, two years serving as a dive boat captain, and a total of six and half years as a divemaster. We really enjoyed his personality and willingness to share experiences and felt safe the entire time.

Our boat captain (Dean) was ever helpful in gearing up or getting out of the water. Also, a great sense of humor and quick to smile. He really kept the atmosphere fun on the boat.

The dive schedule is EXACTLY what you'd like to see on a dive trip. They offer three dives per day at Anthony's Key, with an extra night dive on Tuesday and Thursday. So, you can get 20 dives done in a week. We loved that. The reef and surrounding dive sites didn't disappoint. I'm a little of a newbie diver, but I thought the marine life and reef were great in Roatan. We didn't see any nurse sharks, which was more than fine with my wife. A couple divers in our group spotted a pair of eagle rays.

The rooms were very comfortable and spacious. The views from the cabins on the key, where we stayed, inspired relaxation. We had A/C in our room, which I recommend. The humidity in Roatan is formidable and might be hard to sleep through.

The staff at Anthony's Key was unbelievably friendly. We didn't have anyone, not a single person at the resort, that was anything other than helpful and professional. The food and waitstaff were both really good in my opinion.

We would definitely dive and stay here again. If you are a diver, this really is a 5 star place to dive!

Room Tip: I'd suggest a Superior room, either on the key or the hill. The superior rooms have A/C. There...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Bill D
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This was my first trip to Roatan and to Anthony's Key. I had dived the Caribbean before, but at Little Cayman, about 15 years ago.

Anthony's Key Resort is an excellent place to stay. The restaurant and main office are located on Roatan, and the sleeping cabins are located on a small key, a <1 minute boat ride across a channel. This is actually fun, and I didn't see it as an inconvenience. I really began to love the little boat rides as the week went on!

The diving here is good, not great. This may have had to do with the quality of the divemaster my group was scheduled with (Calderon). Although a very nice and well-meaning person, I got the impression that he wasn't willing to put in a little extra effort to take us to the best dive sites or to spend some time helping us locate cool stuff to see at each dive site. He mostly just lead the dive, usually an out and back, slowly and confidently, but without much other input. It was up to us to spot cool animals to see or to photograph; this was different from other resort divemasters I've had in the past. We saw no rays or sharks this trip, and I have always seen those animals in the past. It was up to me to find small invertebrates, which I love to see (and I DID find them), but it would have been nice to have an experienced pair of eyes spotting things too! Some dive sites seemed "damaged" to me, though I may be wrong. I noticed what seemed to be excessive algae at more than one site, and decreased coral growth as well. Lion fish have fully invaded the Roatan area, unfortunately, decreasing the fish diversity. This is not Anthony's Key's fault, by any means. The marine park located in the area is now starting some control programs, so perhaps there is hope for the future. Finally, I would strongly suggest that the Resort add some type of small snack to the boats, so that in between dives, one can not only quench thirst, but also get the salt taste out of one's mouth. Fruit, or tea and cookies would be nice. I've always had something like this on other day boats of this type.

I paid for a "dolphin scuba dive" as well. This was $110 well spent, in my opinion. The Resort has an extensive dolphin training program with over 20 animals in its care, and they seem happy, energetic, and well cared for. The dive consists of 2 dolphins following the boat to a dive site, and then a very relaxed dive where you can watch and photograph the animals as they swim around you. There is ample opportunity to touch their sleek bodies, and develop a true appreciation for their power and agility in the water. I loved it.

The Resort is a lovely place to stay. The cabins are quite comfortable, especially those with A/C. The heat and humidity really make it more difficult to sleep and A/C is nice in that situation. The food was very good, though not spectacular. I always felt satisfied and felt that the food was tasty; diving can make you quite hungry after all!

I did spend one morning not diving, but exploring a small botanic garden, located just across the street from the Resort. This was really fun. You can climb a fairly substantial hill behind the Resort and get a spectacular view from the top. I saw a number of great lizards (mostly basilisks), hummingbirds, and other birds along the way. Only a few of the plants are labeled, but there was quite a lot in flower, and it was quite beautiful. I recommend this, if you need a break from diving.

The staff at Anthony's Key were exceptional. The office staff in particular went well out of their way to help my friend and I at every turn. For example, we wanted to travel to the mainland, without our heavy dive gear, (because we were going to Pico Bonito, and only needed hiking gear there) and therefore wanted to leave a bag each at the hotel. The bags were to "meet us" at the airport on Roatan, once we returned (by ferry) for our flight home. This scenario, occurring as it did in a poor country, could have gone terribly wrong. But, it didn't . In fact, an AK staffer met us at the ferry terminal and drove us to the airport with our bags! We'd fully expected to take a taxi and hoped to be reunited with the bags at the airport! This was really above and beyond the call of duty, and we really really appreciated it!

The price for a week at Anthony's Key with 3 dives/day, lodging and meals is quite reasonable. The next time I want to dive the Caribbean, I would not hesitate to stay at Anthony's Key Resort! I would just request a different divemaster next time.

Room Tip: Choose a room with A/C. We were not lucky enough to book in time to get this, and we spent some sle...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
6.6 km away
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!