1,302 results
All reviews dolphin encounter shark dive snack shop boat captain horseback riding fish superior room dolphin camp snorkel package soup or salad dive shop fiesta night cactus juice main island medical clinic night dive hyperbaric chamber
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This review is regarding the Dolpin Encounter in Antonys Key resort.

We felt kind of ripped of by this ressort.
For the price of 65$ per person, we were promised to have a great show with the dolpins, were we also could take pictures by our self. The show itself was good and the instructor well trained. But before we entered the water, we got a big suprise!
It was suddenly forbidden to take your own camera into the water.
Instead we were told, that a professional photographer will take pictures of us.
He took pictures how a dophin kisses you and how you and your partner lift of a dolphin,
We had this bad taste of a big commercial show, were you are getting ripped of as a tourist.
The biggest suprise however, was the pricing of the pictures.
Antonys Keys is asking you to pay 50$ for few pictures with you and the dolpins!
Or you have to 15$ for just ONE picture. That was a rip off, specially because before the show started, they are telling you, that you can do pictures by yourself.

So, if you pay attention on having pictures with dolpins, put some extra dollars $$$ into your pocket.

Date of stay: May 2012
11  Thank Sol-2505
A TripAdvisor Member
Woodstock, NY
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We went to A K resort in August 2011 as a family. It was one of the best vacations we've ever had! For our then 10 year old daughter there was dolphin and scuba camp. For mom and dad it was dive dive dive, up to 5 dives per day if you so desire. It is a diamond in the rough, not luxury, but charming and beautiful just the same. Most of the bungalows are located on a small island located just off of the office,dining , common room area. On another island are the amazing dolphins! Kids get to train and interact with the the entire week! I want to go to dolphin camp!

Meals are good and plentiful, not gourmet but good and freshly prepared. The staff is friendly and courteous for the most part but don't expect anything quickly ...you are on island time.

Diving was seamless with hundreds of beautiful dive sites. There are also excursions to Maya Key, a sister resort, which was lovely. You can also go horseback riding, zip lining, or take an excursion to neighboring towns.

Getting there was easy, we flew from Newark Liberty to Houston, direct to Roatan. Returning was not easy, due to Hurricane Irene.

They meet you at the airport and take your bags to your room. We had a beautiful bungalow on
the point and could see the dolphins from our spacious deck. The room is nothing to shout about, it's panelled with native wood. Bathrooms need updating. But it's kept clean and not much time is spent there anyway. The a/c worked fairly well, and you will need it, believe me. The bugs are horrendous, which is to be expected, you are after all in a jungle paradise !

We will return someday soon with our grand kids! They will love it. Oh, and there is a nice pool to spend time with everyone and talk about the days adventures. There is a bar that has happy hours a couple times per week and food is served here also should you need a snack.

If you do not mind roughing it (a little) to enjoy a beautiful slice of paradise, AK resort is for you.

Room tip: If you want air conditioning ask for it. There are a couple of rooms without it. Btw there is no fitness center, nor will you need one.
Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My wife set up this wonderful dive trip to Anthony's Key and everything was great except...and I do mean a very large except .. the sand fleas that took over the area was un bearable. I am still itching all over my body because of the many bites I received from just walking on any sandy area (it's all sandy by the way). But let me get back to that...first the location is perfect for a dive enthusiast. The bungalow we stayed in was beautiful, #40. We could over look the Caribbean Sea each night and watch the beautiful sunsets. Room was very comfortable, maid service was perfect, and the 3 square meals fit the program perfect. We were put on a boat for our dives with a group of people that were the best. We hung together, on shore and in the water. I look forward to building relationships with them in the future! About 12-14 people is max with 1 dive master named John. He was a very good person to point things out, to make our dive more interesting. But the Captain of the boats stole the show....Jo Jo!!! Funny, concerned, helpful. and I could go on. He's a reason I might think about going back. We had 3-4 dives each day, 2 night dives a week would be our fourth. A different site each day. Water temps were hovering around 82 degrees, and clear vis up to 100 ft. at times. But the bugs! We couldn't enjoy the outside, as many others complained too. There was no warning, very weak suggestions of help. I was there for 7 days, and wish I could of enjoyed the entire time. Everyone was getting bit, no pool time, just no outside time to relax. you had to stay in the bar or the water. Bring DEET (lots of it), bring yard guard, protect your self, and that might help.

Room tip: My sleep was bad because of the bug bites, but could of been a lot better. Had to run the A/C unit 24/7 at max to help.
Date of stay: May 2012
4  Thank David L
Reviewed 9 May 2012

If you never book another vacation, please book a trip to Anthony's Key. My family and I visited here about two years ago, it was supposed to be my honeymoon (long story). From the arrival at the airport you're treated incredibly well. They transfer you to the hotel, deliver your bags to your room and it goes uphill from there. I have never been somewhere where diving was made so easy. They have you group up on the same boat all week and basically set up the gear for you each day. Each boat has a dive master that dives with you and you can dive up to 4 times a day. The dolphins on the property are awesome. The food is great and island night is a blast!! The entire island is gorgeous and I suggest leaving the resort at least once to visit West Bay. If you have more questions, email me.

Room tip: Stay out on the water.
Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank penelopetheairstream
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at AKR the week of Apr 21-28 2012. We are both fairly new divers and wanted the ease of being able to dive if and when we wanted and to have it easily accessible.
The check in went smooth, the lady who checked us in was very nice and informative. We had to fill out some dive paperwork, including our skill level and how many dives we had, giving us the impression we would be evenly matched on our dive boat. Wrong! We were put on a boat full of near professional divers, most of whom where not interested in making new friends.
Had we been on one of the other boats with the people we met out and about on the resort, our trip would have been much more enjoyable, oh well!
The dive shop is ran so smoothly, lockers , geat and boat are assigned to everyone. There is a dive board for each boat that shows the time and places of that days dives and you just put your locker number down on the dives you want to go on.
The first couple of days we were there was too choppy to dive from the hotel, so they took the boats to the south side and bused everyone over. If you went, you were committed to the boat for the day.

The resort itself is beautiful and well cared for. The rooms are adequate, nothing fancy. We had a hillside deluxe bungalow and it was great.

The hillside rooms require alot of stairs, as does getting to reception and the restaurant and bar, so if you have mobility issues, this may not be the best choice for you.

There is a great gift shop, snack shop, photo shop and the RIMS area, which allow for lots of shopping etc. right on site. A few dive/snorkel items are available in the snack shop.

The food was good, but limited. There is a good breakfast menu then lunch and dinner give you two options, one fish or seafood and one meat. Soup or salad and fresh baked buns are also part of every meal as well as dessert and water or iced tea.

The french toast was to die for and I think I had it every morning! The fiesta night was fun, good mexican buffet, then some entertainment and fun!

We had the place pretty much to ourselves on the days we did not dive, so it was nice. Great little pool/bar area on the one Key to hang out and relax!

This is a very hard core dive resort so if you are new and not sure how much you may dive, it might be more cost effecient to pay as you go rather than buy the dive package, or if you want you can always hop on the snorkel boat for a change or a rest.

The dolphin encounter was great, we were going to do a dolphin dive, but the weather did not permit it. You can take the water taxi or kayak over anytime and just hang out watching them anytime. It is a very humane and well run facility.

All in all a great week, the only thing that would have made it better would have been being better matched on our dive boat, I would have thought they would take into consideration you skill and experience level when assigning them, but maybe putting weak divers with strong ones is a good way to make sure we are well looked after!

Room tip: Hillside bungalows have lots of stairs.
Date of stay: April 2012