“BEST VACATION SPOT EVER.”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Springfield, Illinois
“BEST VACATION SPOT EVER.”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

If you never book another vacation, please book a trip to Anthony's Key. My family and I visited here about two years ago, it was supposed to be my honeymoon (long story). From the arrival at the airport you're treated incredibly well. They transfer you to the hotel, deliver your bags to your room and it goes uphill from there. I have never been somewhere where diving was made so easy. They have you group up on the same boat all week and basically set up the gear for you each day. Each boat has a dive master that dives with you and you can dive up to 4 times a day. The dolphins on the property are awesome. The food is great and island night is a blast!! The entire island is gorgeous and I suggest leaving the resort at least once to visit West Bay. If you have more questions, email me.

Room Tip: Stay out on the water.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank msuhoops04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Bonnyville, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at AKR the week of Apr 21-28 2012. We are both fairly new divers and wanted the ease of being able to dive if and when we wanted and to have it easily accessible.
The check in went smooth, the lady who checked us in was very nice and informative. We had to fill out some dive paperwork, including our skill level and how many dives we had, giving us the impression we would be evenly matched on our dive boat. Wrong! We were put on a boat full of near professional divers, most of whom where not interested in making new friends.
Had we been on one of the other boats with the people we met out and about on the resort, our trip would have been much more enjoyable, oh well!
The dive shop is ran so smoothly, lockers , geat and boat are assigned to everyone. There is a dive board for each boat that shows the time and places of that days dives and you just put your locker number down on the dives you want to go on.
The first couple of days we were there was too choppy to dive from the hotel, so they took the boats to the south side and bused everyone over. If you went, you were committed to the boat for the day.

The resort itself is beautiful and well cared for. The rooms are adequate, nothing fancy. We had a hillside deluxe bungalow and it was great.

The hillside rooms require alot of stairs, as does getting to reception and the restaurant and bar, so if you have mobility issues, this may not be the best choice for you.

There is a great gift shop, snack shop, photo shop and the RIMS area, which allow for lots of shopping etc. right on site. A few dive/snorkel items are available in the snack shop.

The food was good, but limited. There is a good breakfast menu then lunch and dinner give you two options, one fish or seafood and one meat. Soup or salad and fresh baked buns are also part of every meal as well as dessert and water or iced tea.

The french toast was to die for and I think I had it every morning! The fiesta night was fun, good mexican buffet, then some entertainment and fun!

We had the place pretty much to ourselves on the days we did not dive, so it was nice. Great little pool/bar area on the one Key to hang out and relax!

This is a very hard core dive resort so if you are new and not sure how much you may dive, it might be more cost effecient to pay as you go rather than buy the dive package, or if you want you can always hop on the snorkel boat for a change or a rest.

The dolphin encounter was great, we were going to do a dolphin dive, but the weather did not permit it. You can take the water taxi or kayak over anytime and just hang out watching them anytime. It is a very humane and well run facility.

All in all a great week, the only thing that would have made it better would have been being better matched on our dive boat, I would have thought they would take into consideration you skill and experience level when assigning them, but maybe putting weak divers with strong ones is a good way to make sure we are well looked after!

Room Tip: Hillside bungalows have lots of stairs.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank holster
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My husband purchased the snorkel package for us to celebrate my 40th Birthday. We had a great time. The location can't be beat. A few things:

1) If you are snorkeling - the gear is not included in the package- that was an extra $80 for the week. Also there is a night snorkel but not of the gear for that is included either, so be prepared to spend $ on lights and a wetsuit etc if you don't bring your own.. Also bring beach towels. They say this on their site, but lots of people in our group were unaware so I thought I would mention it.

2) Bug spray - As many have said, this is a must. I used it every time I went outside and I didn't have a problem at all - so as long as you are diligent you will be fine

3) I don't eat seafood, but this wasn't a problem. Breakfast is a cold buffet of fruit and cereals and you can order eggs, pancakes etc from a menu. Lunch you have soup/salad option followed by seafood/non seafood option followed by dessert. The desserts are lacking - but that is not at all why we were there so no biggie.

4) The dolphins are incredible. We would just sit on the dock and watch them play in the water. They are amazing and they alone were worth the cost of the trip.

5) Cabins are very basic. Everything you need, nothing fancy but comfortable - we were in an air conditioned room on the key so we overlooked the water and our room (18) sat in some mangrove type roots - cool and creepy at the same time

6) We spent an afternoon at Gumbalima to zip line and visit with the monkeys - I will post a review on their site - but AKR made this so easy for us, a driver picked us up and brought us back when we were done and we could charge it all to our room.

7) The Monday picnic at Maya Key is okay. Food wasn't great - but it was really beautiful snorkeling and a really scenic beach.

Everyone was very helpful and we had a wonderful time. We would love to bring our daughter back when she is a little older!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Donielle J
Lakeview, OH
Reviewed 25 April 2012

First & foremost we were interested in a hardcore diving vacation. The amenities were an absolute bonus for us as they made our surface intervals very enjoyable. This was perhaps the most enjoyable vacation in my life of 54 years.

The reefs are fantastically pristeen and teem with animals. We began to think of the Turtles as Canadian geese, there were so many of them. We identified virtually every reef creature known to inhabit these waters during over 30 dives. The dive operation is extremely well run and the skippers and divemasters friendly, professional and experienced. I would highly recommend Captain Kenly & divemaster Calderon if you have an option to choose, but we dove with several others also and all were excellant.

The organization of our entire stay from arrival to departure was handled by Mandy & her staff to perfection. We were met at the airport by AKR staff & they grabbed all our bags & gear. Upon arrival at the resort, our stuff was taken to our rooms for us and Mandy led our brief orientation meeting where all forms were filled out and all schedules & options were explained.

I can't think of one staff member that was rude or surly or seemed disinterested. In fact, as we stayed for 2 weeks, we became friends with several people and got to know a little about their lives and dreams. Very relaxed and friendly staff, did i say that already? As a business owner, I would credit the leadership of Mandy and Kevin/Denny of the dive teams for running an outstandingly tight ship, pardon the pun.

The grounds & pool were immaculate with caretakers tending to the lush vegetation daily. I would say this, if you or your partner needs fancy rooms and showers, this may not be for you. They are more like Northern Michigan cabins with no phones or TV's and I'm tellling you for us, the most relaxing vacation ever. You actually have time to talk & walk & read & whatever.

The food was outstanding and offered a choice of a fish and non fish dish for lunch & dinner. Breakfast had fruit buffet w/pastries, cereal to hold you over until your omelet or Honduran special arrived.They serve a locally made hot sauce that is to die for. We actually brought back 4 bottles (don't tell customs!).

I would highly recommend AKR for value, location and overall experience. The only thing I would do differently is to take a little more cash, say a couple hunderd in 5's or whatever to tip the occassional server, water taxi driver, live entertainment or Fiesta party entertainment. When we did give the occasional small tip as we went, the gratitude was obvious. It's hard to remember everyone at checkout.

I have thousand of pics & vids but most of them are of the underwater variety and Iwould be glad to share more info with anyone interested. kornres213@yahoo.com

I almost forgot, they also have a medical clinic right on site and as we did use them for some ear problems my son was having I can report a better experience than with a trip to stateside doctors offices.

Randy & Patrick Korn

Room Tip: All of the "Superior Key" rooms are wonderful and the staff will help locate one for you b...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank kornres213
Columbus
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I just returned from a week long dive trip sponsored by a local dive shop to Anthony's Key Resort. Overall, I had a great time.
Lush, manicured grounds. Saw the landscape crew out everyday, all day. Accomodations are not luxurious, but comfortable and efficient. Shower had plenty of water pressure, and had no issues with water temp. Housekeeping kept my room/cabin clean. I was pleaseantly surprised by the food served at AKR. Was it gourmet? No, but it was fresh, and tasted good. I have to agree with a previous reviewer as to the quality of the baked goods. Hot, fresh rolls, and really good breakfast pastry. This may seem picky, but I was impressed by the lettuce that is served at AKR. It seems like it is a hydroponically grown variety. Green and healthy. Not the usual stuff.
The entertainment was a bit hokey and touristy I.E fire dancer, limbo contest, hermit crab race. Yet still fun to be outside and enjoy a cold adult beverage and enjoy the BBQ that AKR presents once a week.
Dive operations are very well run. The diver orientation points out how the system works, you are assigned to the same boat (DM and Capt), and gear locker for the duration of your stay. Since I stayed Monday-Monday, I cannot comment on the two tank picnic dive. Three or four dives if a night dive is scheduled is perfect for me. I appreciated coming back to the dock after the dives, due to the proximity of most of the dive sites to AKR. Our DM and Capt did a great job. Both looked after us, and just about gave us valet service. Everytime I turned around to switch tanks Kenly or Calderon already took care of it. DM did an outstanding job pointing out interesting critters. Saw my first sea horse in the wild! Topography, and variations of the reef was amazing. I did not participate in any of the dolphin activities offered.
Only negative I can provide would be some not to interested bar tenders. Seemed they would rather text and talk amongst themselves then serve drinks. Many guests commented on how it felt that they felt as though they are bothering the bar staff for a drink. Oh well, lost tips for them.
Overall, a great experience. I usually don't return to dive destinations, as I would rather see a new place. However, I am already planning on a return trip to AKR due to great dives, and value for the money.

Room Tip: Air Condition room was a plus
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Cocolobo
#3 of 8 in West End
6.7 km away
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!