All reviews musical instruments an older hotel nice hotel rooms are spacious and clean twin beds hotel room nice room beautiful view mini bar ohrid lake taxi balcony macedonia hill receptionist sofa piano
Reviewed 24 June 2018

The Belvedere is an older hotel with its own charm. It actually issues a standard key to unlock and lock the doors, and we had to make sure to return it. There is supposedly a newer, more modern one just being finished at Lake Ohrid, but at the time our tour was booked it was the best around. While it indeed was older, with wood paneling and such, what was nice about it is that we actually had two rooms. One with our twin beds, a wardrobe closet, a makeup nook and a chair, and another room with a sofa, two armchairs, a dresser, a desk, a TV and mini bar. A sliding door opened unto a balcony. Ours unfortunately just had a view of the forested hill, but
our friends on the other side had a gorgeous view of the lake. Breakfast was included and had a nice selection. The restaurant was bright and cheerful with a white grand piano, base and harp as part of the decor, lots of tables inside and out on the large balcony. Food was good, plentiful, with a large selection on the menu and very reasonably priced. Staff was friendly and spoke English. It was a gorgeous day when we there so that made everything much prettier. There are some interesting antiques inside the hotel. Lake Ohrid was just across the street and easily accessible within a five minute walk. Nice location. The taxi to the center of town and boat cruises cost only about $2 or $3.00. Albeit they have their own money, they accept US dollars.

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed 18 June 2018

The Hotel Belvedere is a bit outside of town and is rather dated and quite eclectic. It is the first hotel I have stayed at in years where you actually have a room key and not a key card. The lobby is particularly funky (in a generally good way) as it is filled with antiques and oddities: ship models, antique view cameras, a collection of carvings of Negro singers, etc. Our room (#210) was just up the stairs so we didn't bother using the elevator.

The moderate sized room was equipped with two twin beds, a shallow counter and luggage stand, and a closet with safe and extra bedding. There was no coffee maker, hot pot or other such items. It also had a mini-bar which we did not use. The bathroom had a small curved glass door shower stall and small lavatory with a glass vessel sink. Overall, the bathroom was small but adequate. It had very little in the way of complimentary toiletries. The outstanding feature of our room was the balcony which looked over the street to beautiful Lake Ohrid. It had two very comfortable chairs and a small table and I found it the perfect place to update my journal. The beds, on the other hand, were only comfortable if you were really tired.

The lobby, as previously mentioned, is eclectically furnished. There are a lot of groups of upholstered chairs, but I did not find them to be very comfortable. We had two breakfasts there as well and by and large, this was a typical breakfast buffet, however, most of the items that should be hot were in unheated servers and items such as the eggs cooled off very quickly. I like cold cereal as part of my breakfast. While they had some nice looking muesli cereal, their "cold milk" was not only cold but very sour. On the first morning, I thought this was just an unfortunate error, but when it was also sour on the second morning, I reached the conclusion that perhaps they like sour milk in this part of the world. As I just found with a Google search, this is indeed the case.

I did mention the milk to the man who was staffing the breakfast tables, but he did not seem to understand English. Overall, I would have to say that the staff I encountered were not particularly surly or unfriendly, but rather just somewhat indifferent. If you choose to visit Orhid, which I very much recommend, the Belvedere is not a bad place to stay, but you may well be able to do better.

Room tip: Ask for a lake side room. Plan on breakfast in town.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fingerpicker8
Reviewed 13 June 2018

The hotel is quite out of the way from the lake. You can't even see the lake even if your room is facing towards the direction. The room is spacious and cozy but certain things look like they need some maintenance work (curtain, sofa, shower door).
Our dinner was accompanied by some nice music from the piano.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2018

This hotel was a disappointment. The rooms were OK but it was away from the lake and the tourist area. There didn't appear to be any public transportation either. Their breakfast was ordinary. Cold fried eggs on a unheated platter, likewise the bacon. Part of the issue was the fact that they have very large tour groups some of whom behave rather badly in the breakfast room. Grabbing platefuls of tomatoes or cheese. I realize I can't fault the hotel but it definitely had an adverse effect on the enjoyment of our breakfast.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2018

I’d hate to see the worst. Maintenance is desperately needed. Towel racks fall off the wall. Waste basket in small bathroom is impossible to open. Vacuum cleaner that was in the hallway for our 2 day stay is for show only. Bathroom is very small. Toilet seat slides off the toilet. In room safe could not be opened. Shower doors do not close tightly and the bathroom gets plenty of water on the floor. If you are into antiques, you may like this hotel. If antiques are not your thing, find another hotel for your stay. If you like eating cold fried or scramble eggs you will like the breakfast buffet.

Room tip: There isn’t any good room.
Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Retired_Miami