“Amazing Beauty”

Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Barcelona, Spain
137 helpful votes
“Amazing Beauty”
Reviewed 27 March 2008

We stayed at the Korana autocamp and got up really early in the morning. The whole campsite was still asleep, and we 'sneaked' away to the park. We were the first visitors to arrive and it was absolutely worth it. We had the place for ourselves and enjoyed the beauty and silence. By 2 'o clock in the afternoon, the place was overcrowded. But by then we had nearly finished our route so we wrapped up and left for Karlovac

1 Thank PoisonedIvy
10 helpful votes
“Untouched Beauty...Must Experience Yourself!”
Reviewed 7 January 2008

After touching down in Zagreb, we spent the night and then the next day made our way to Plitvice. We had only seen pictures and we really couldn't wait! It was a great drive...beautiful actually. We had our stickshift and hit the road!

We had reservations at the Hotel Jezero which is within the Plitvice National Park...there are 3 hotels and all you do is email them your dates and they confrim. You pay a deposit (very small percentage of the total) and then pay the balance upon check-out. It's great. The hotel was huge...I don't know how to describe it exactly because the rooms were tiny. There was some big military convention going on so during our stay it seemed more like a dormitory than a hotel...kinda like the perfect place to host Olympic athletes, you know?

Anyway...first night we dined in the hotel...in a large dining hall. The food was okay, nothing memorable...but the breakfast spread the next morning was incredible and very reasonably priced. Lots of military guys...hot! We ended up having drinks with a few of them that 2nd night...

The caves and waterfalls and colors of Plitvice is quite breathtaking by day and we spent a day and a half walking the trails and riding the ferries and chatting with tourists from all over the world. The landscape is as untouched as you can get, and you feel very very small amidst it all.

Absolute must-see when you are in Croatia...

1 Thank junbuggy
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 helpful votes
Reviewed 7 January 2008

One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I highly suggest walking the various trails to experience the variety of views. There are amazing photo opportunities everywhere you look. There is one trail that takes you above the water - it looks a bit off the beaten path. It is a great idea and you will get some solice from the hoards of tourists below. Further, walking along the higher part gives you an excellent view of the lakes. You can walk along the water level on the way back.

3 Thank focoandih
Los Angeles
3 helpful votes
“Naboo on Earth!”
Reviewed 12 December 2007

My wife and I went to Plitvice Lakes as part of our honeymoon trip through Europe. She stumbled upon a website with pictures that looked like they were renderings from Star Wars - Princess Amedala's planet Naboo to be specific (and to be a bit geeky). It truly looked unbelievable, but we took a leap of faith and booked a rocket to Naboo (er, a plane to Zagreb, Croatia).

Driving into the National Park was one of the most picturesque experiences of my life. I haven't seen so much lush, beautiful landscape in my entire life. But that was just the tip of the iceberg. We checked into our hotel, which overlooked a waterfall that day - excited for what was to come.

The next day, we got on a bus that drove us up a winding road to the top of a mountain. We were directed to a trail path to start our adventure. At first, nothing too spectacular... a parking lot and a trail. But when you round the corner, you're hit with it. A wooden walkway, hovering about two feet above the water level winded around the top tier lake, leading to a waterfall. But that wasn't the half of it. A staircase led you down and around the waterfall, above the water and winding around the lake beds the whole time. Now imagine ten tiers of this magnificence! It is truly hard to put into words how gorgeous this place really is. We didn't want to leave. We realized that we made a mistake when we only booked two days at Plitvice Lakes...

Do yourself a favor - book the flight! You may have never considered Croatia as a vacation destination, but I'm here to tell you that it is hard to beat. The country, the people and the culture is amazing, warm and beautiful. Not only does your dollar go far, but so do your memories!

-Mike Wonder

3 Thank mikewonder
Ancramdale, NY
1 helpful vote
“History and Nature all rolled together...”
Reviewed 2 June 2007

Wow! Just go and bring your rain gear, because when it rains, the park is twice as lovely.

After a few days in the heat of Split, I took off for Plitvice, in the Krajina region of Croatia, near Bosnia-Herzegovina. The park itself is made up of a series of tiered lakes joined by cataracts, waterfalls and streams. At points it felt as if I was walking through a rain forest. Yes, it was raining off and on, but that kept the tourists away, accentuated the greens and blues of the foliage and water, and cooled off my Dalmatian baked psyche.
I stayed in the Hotel Plitvice-Bellevue, which has not been reviewed so well, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have always loved Croatia, and this was no exception. The staff were very helpful (bus schedules, fixing my mobile, etc...) and the rooms were very simple, but clean and neat. The food was so-so, but if you eat in the Restaurant Poljana and skip the self-serve, you will have a decent meal. Down the road a few km is Lička Cuča, a national restaurant that serves up great, filling, portions of the local country cuisine.
Getting there and away is easy, but you need to tell the bus driver that you are stopping at a specific hotel. Leaving is the reverse process, and the Zagreb bus goes both ways through the park. Easy-peasey! So grab your hiking shoes, your rain hat and your camera and go!

Been to Plitvice Lakes National Park? Share your experiences!