“Great food, poor service”
Review of Bettola

Bettola
Reserve with OpenTable
Bettola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 1,016 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2017

My wife and I went to Betolla for a date night. We did not have reservations but were able to be quickly seated at the chef's table. To start off with the bad, the service was very poor. We were not acknowledged by our waiter for an extended time and while my wife was in the middle of eating bread, he came along and took the plate without asking if we were done. He never came to refill our water a single time. Not even once. On to the good. The food was fantastic. Having been to Italy, this is one of the rare restaurants that seems to be able to incorporate true Italian style and flavor into their dishes. Highly impressed in that regard.

Reviewed 8 February 2017

My friend and I were in town to watch the Davis Cup match at the BJCC, and needed an early dinner reservation once the USA won the doubles match fairly quickly. We were lucky that Bettola had just what we needed.

The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere, comfortable, not too noisy, with a sense of energy and antcipation. We ordered the large antipasti, which allows you choice of meats, cheeses, and sauces. Our waiter, Kevin, helped us select the cheeses and suggested a very nice red wine to accompany this course. For dinner I ordered the gnocci with pork belly, and my friend had the red snapper. The gnocci was excellent and the pork belly tender and lean. A dry white wine was paired with this course. Tiramisu completed our meal.

All in all, an excellent experience.

Reviewed 25 December 2016

Went in because I was in the area. The food was good. I had the calamari and a salad. You order at the bar and then it is brought to your table. No one checked on me after my food was brought out. A different experience for the cost of the food. I don't think I would go back.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

Wonderful service, great atmosphere, delicious food. Every bit of the evening was perfect. Best calamari I ever had. Wonderful, knowledgeable server. Gracious owner/chef.

Reviewed 17 December 2016 via mobile

I recommend a reservation. We booked early and thought it was a ghost town we we got there. It was SRO by the time we left. Great food and wines. We did have an issue with the bill.... I'm hoping that is resolved promptly, I'll follow up on that point. I plan on going back to try some of the other great menu choices.