All reviews coffee pods bed was comfortable staff was very friendly great location stayed here rx ihg pillows noise elevator floor
Reviewed 6 August 2018

Sunday night/date night with me and my wife. Hotel is well placed in trendy part of town, allowed a nice neighborhood walk in the historical 5 points district.

Decor was shabby chic, very attractive...but sometimes awkwardly executed. Gorgeous light bulbs in the elevators, for example...but absolutely the wrong bulb type for an enclosed box without air conditioning--it was about 20 degrees hotter in the small elevator than the rest of the hotel.

Bar downstairs was cool...high-end cocktails and an entertaining (if gimmicky) presentation from the bartender, involving smoke, fire, and a "mad scientist" theme of chemistry set paraphernalia.

Bed was comfortable, the room was well decorated--didn't use the coffee maker or other amenities, but I will agree with other reviewers that the A/C controls were not telling the truth...it did eventually get comfortable for our liking.

We were on a high floor, apparently away from any other noises...quiet (Sunday) night for us.

Long time IHG/Holiday Inn/Indigo visitor--was glad to come here...just hope they fix a few management issues before long...

Room tip: Choose a high floor/end of hallway room.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

We traveled to Birmingham to visit family and happened to find the new Hotel Indigo. Great location! Good restaurants all within walking distance. Convenient public parking garage. Very friendly staff. I’m not sure exactly how long the hotel has been open, but it seems there are still some kinks to be worked out. Keurig coffee maker in the room, but discovered in the morning only one coffee with all the other pods of tea. My husband and I shared one cup while getting ready. We had a two night reservation. When we returned the afternoon of our first day, they had only partially cleaned our room as they were confused as to whether we had checked out and left all of our belongings (really?) or if we had one more night. In addition to one of the staff leaving their fast food drink in our room, they never came back to take away dirty cups or leave new coffee pods. Bed was comfortable enough but pillows too huge, left you with a stiff neck. No luggage rack to open suitcase on and the TV cabinet obviously has a spot for a mini fridge but not one. Perhaps they will be adding? I hope so. The best thing about the room was a really good shower. Although on the 2nd morning the water never got that hot. Just warm. I would stay here again for the location and price.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

The other review was spot on about loud music. Thursday night is karaoke, and I was hearing some lady attempting Whitney Houston at 1:45am. Hotel rooms have new motion-sensor thermostats that don’t seem to have a VIP hack, so I woke up sweating after the lack of motion turned it off. Also, the thermostat clearly states 68 degrees, but it is nowhere close to that. Bedding was nice. Shower was ok, but the shower floor was dirty and stained. Despite being an updated hotel with updated amenities in the room, lack of sleep from loud music means I definitely won’t stay here again.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

Loud music until 2 am at the bar next door. Cute hotel, but no sleeping possible on one side of the hotel. Drumming, loud yelling and worse... and I can hear all of this from the seventh floor. Bar is next door at ground level with a courtyard between us and the drums are deafening.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandi F
Eric H, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham Five Points S - UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I am so sorry to hear that your stay was not a restful one due to the loud music.
One of the great things about being in the vibrant Five Points South neighborhood can also be one of the challenges- all the nightlife and excitement can be noisy!

We understand the importance of a good night's sleep and we are working with the neighboring bar to respect our guests need for quiet time at night and are working to find more effective ways to help keep the outside sounds out of our rooms so all of our guests can relax.

We do hope that you might give us another chance the next time you are in Birmingham. We would love to see you again!

Reviewed 25 June 2018

While the upgrades to this hotel are pretty nice, we were very disappointed. The floor in the room was not clean and the restaurant was expensive for what you get. Very overcooked and cold frittata and cold coffee. But what really offended us were the "Power of Pride" small flags on each table and their custom drinks, LGBTea and Power of Pride cocktail cards on each table. Will not stay here again! Is this all Hotel Indigos? Or all IHG hotels?

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Sharon L
Robert B, Management Company at Hotel Indigo Birmingham Five Points S - UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Sharon L.

Thank you for your review of our new hotel. I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We have many guests who have stayed and describe the opposite of what you experienced. I will ensure that the hotels management team takes your comments to heart and we will use them to ensure this doesn't happen again.

With regards to your comments about the hotels GLBT promotion, which is in conjunction with the hotels parent brand, IHG. We don't discriminate against any group and are proud to welcome all guests to our hotel.