“Good...but not as good as it used to be.”
Review of Cocina Superior

Cocina Superior
Reserve with OpenTable
Cocina Superior is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #175 of 1,036 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This place was awesome back in the day when it first opened...it was our go-to. This was my first visit in years.

Pomegranate margarita? Awesome. And for happy hours, you get the larger one for the price of the smaller.

Chips and salsa? Delicious. The chips are light, and the salsa had a slightly roasted flavor and some heat.

Service? Ok, but considering the restaurant was all but empty when we visited, it wasn’t as attentive as I would have preferred.

Food? Hit or miss. My friend’s fajitas were perfect. On the other hand, my enchiladas suizas tasted like they had been sitting. While they were good, they were simply lukewarm. Not good when they average entree is $15+.

Bottom line: when this place is on, it’s great. Make an OpenTable reservation, and try it out.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Unique Mexican food such as brisket tacos. Good atmosphere, very good margaritas. Chips are crunchy but not greasy.
A winner.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

We visited the restaurant on new year's eve day. It was fully packed. We had to wait for almost an hour to get the table. The restaurant has a nice ambience. The quality of food was good. Their chicken ensalada and veggie salad were excellent. We enjoyed the food. We recommend one must try this restaurant for the Mexican food if you are passing by that area.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

Where do I even begin.. I'll start with the positives as it will be quick. Jose. That was the one positive of this entire establishment. JOSE. The one shining asset of the staff is Jose. I don't even believe he was our waiter. Jose was quick to keep our waters full and chips and salsa filled. Very well-mannered, tactful, and willing to do his job to the best of his abilities.

Now on to the negatives. My significant other and I sat patiently at our table for ten minutes before we were acknowledged by anyone on the wait staff. This is uncalled for. Where is the customer service? It is 1:20 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. The restaurant wasn't slammed with patrons, there wasn't a big party that required the staff's attention, nothing that would keep a member of the wait staff from coming by, introducing his or herself and saying my name is _____ and I will be with you momentarily.

Following our ten minutes of patience we were given the chips and salsa. No words between my party or the wait staff was said. Approximately another ten minutes passes by. Finally we were approached by a gentleman by the name of William, our waiter. No apology for the wait. We ordered our food from the lunch specials. Two quesadillas, one veggie and one grilled chicken. Nearly another 40 minutes pass before we received our food.

Quite honestly I'm already tired of typing. I hate writing novels. It is not my thing. So I'll wrap this up.. I immediately get boxes for my food and ask for the check. William is not to be seen from again. As multiple other wait staff members have stepped in to take care of our table, primarily Jose. Thank you Jose. Jose holds himself accountable so I thank him for that. I am a very tactful person so I held my tongue as to know blow up on an unfortunate soul. Management was no where to be seen in the building. No apology for this egregious wait time... THEY WERE QUESADILLAS.. IT DOES NOT TAKE 40 MINUTES FOR TWO QUESADILLAS TO COOK AND BE SERVED.

I believe this is my first ever complaint I've written at a restaurant. Things happen I understand. It is what someone does to correct those issues that earns my respect. Cocina Superior has no attention to detail or respect to it's patrons. I work 2 minutes from Cocina and will not return. Do yourself a favor and do not spend a dime at this overpriced establishment.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I'm a big fan of Superior Grill, but my wife considers CS to be the best in town. Well, maybe she's right, but I just like em both. I usually get the steamed oysters which are better than I can get anywhere else. Another great thing about CS is that they're open mid-morning for brunch with a brunch menu, and a Bloody Mary bar where you can mix your own! Can't go wrong here.