“A great place that will soon get even better”

Southern Museum of Flight
Ranked #15 of 99 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: An aircraft hangar museum with exhibits of authentic old airplanes.
Reviewed 15 January 2018

My 12 year-old son loves everything aviation and we visited here while staying in town with family. I also had my 9 year-old daughter along, who admittedly is never as excited about these places as her brother is. :-) Son loved it. Daughter so-so. He enjoyed the flight simulators but she doesn't know enough to be able to operate them. There is a little kids (preschool size) play area and the simulators for the older kids but not much for her age group. That said, the displays were very interesting and you can get up close to several cool planes. I believe improvements are planned - and a possible relocation - which would be great. I thought we'd get to the area and grab lunch before we went in, but there is literally nothing nearby so eat before you go. I hope they continue to invest in this museum!

1  Thank a_t_h_13_12
in 10 reviews
"cockpit"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 19 December 2017

I have visited this museum on 2 occasions and each time I have found all info and exhibits to be interesting. Since I am a Banks High School graduate, I especially enjoyed seeing the restored jet which used to sit atop our high school and all the Banks memorabilia displayed; there is even an old Banks High School class bell which still works! I would definitely recommend for adults and children as the museum has numerous other planes and flight exhibits as well.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

I guess if someone had never been to another aviation museum/display this one would seem quite impressive. However, I have been to many aviation museums so this one is average at best when compared to others that I have visited. The lighting in the "early aviation" section was way too low. In fact, I could hardly read some of the information cards. At least the attendance fee was reasonable.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Our family recently visited the Southern Museum of Flight and received a very warm welcome upon our arrival. The museum was quiet that day and one of the educators (Charles) at the museum offered to show us around. His stories were clear and accurate and enhanced by the fantastic displays in the museum. My youngest children who are not readers were able to walk away from the time at the museum with knowledge and memories from the stories he shared from the history of aviation of southerners around the globe and into space! This was a fantastic museum and I highly recommend it for any even mildly interested in aviation.