All reviews bit difficult to find hat shop pedestrian street great location varying levels bus station free breakfast bars and restaurants stayed here for nights rooms are clean washing machine guilin airport other travelers reception staff cooking class li river cruise karst mountains
Reviewed 19 January 2015 via mobile

I stayed at Green Forest Hostel for a week and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The staff were friendly and helpful. I would sometimes see them in the street and they would say hello and ask if I needed help with anything. They even walked me to nearby shops and restaurants when I couldn't find them!

My room was nice. The decor was tasteful and the bed was big and comfy. The A/C worked great for both cold and heat. The shower was separate from the toilet which was really nice (and is rare at budget hotels in Asia).

The hostel is in a great location nearby Yangshuo Park and a few blocks from West Street. There are nice common areas for hanging out, as well as a couch in front of a big TV that is often playing a movie. It doesn't really feel like a hostel, but it also doesn't feel like a hotel.. it is somewhere in the middle. Perhaps an "upscale hostel" best describes it.

If you prefer a quieter room, ask for one that is not facing the street. The street facing rooms can be a bit noisy, but the traffic does seem to die down after midnight.

As many other reviewers have pointed out, the entrance is dark and dingy since the hostel is on the third floor and on the second floor is a poorly maintained public restroom. Don't worry, it just looks scary, but it is totally safe. It just isn't well lit and is poorly maintained, but I have never seen any sketchy activity. Once you get to the third floor and enter the hostel it is like entering another world.

Finding the hostel can be slighty tricky. It isn't actually on Diecui Road as the address suggests. From Pantao Road go east on Diecui Road. Go past the park (on your left) and continue forward roughly another two blocks. At Xijie Pedestrian Street, take a right and go down Xijie roughly 20 meters (about 4 storefronts). On the right side, past the cafe that sells mango juice, there is a stall selling hats, bags, etc. It is acually a walkway that has stuff being sold in it. Go into the walkway and notice a stairway on your right. Go up the dark dingy stairs to the third floor and you are there!

Overall I really liked Green Forest Hostel and would recommend it to anyone staying in Yangshuo.

• Stayed: January 2015
3  Thank Shawn_Storm
Reviewed 27 November 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in a standard room in this hostel and payed around 22 euro per room per night (nov 2014) and for that price we got a spotless room with a wonderfully hot and strong shower and the best matrass ever! Watercooker, slippers, soap and shampoo, flatscreen tv and a wonderfull location and super super friendly and helpful staff!

• Stayed: November 2014
Reviewed 27 November 2014

This hostel is lovely... great value for money and cozy common areas! That rooftop with the view to the mountains... just adorable! The location it's perfect.. near to everything - restaurants, bars and city main attractions. It was quite confusing to find the hostel's entrance at first. I travelled alone to China's countryside and this place made me feel like home.. the staff is incredible nice and friendly! I stayed in a 4 people dorm room - really comfortable and clean. The common bathroom is really clean as well. WIFI in all areas! Range variety of breakfast menus and also milkshakes and fresh fruit juices. Great stay at Yangshuo...worth it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2014

The only reason I am not giving this a 5 star is due to me not having long enough at the hostel to get a proper experience. I was due to stay two nights however due to missing my train it meant that I only got one night there. However one thing that was brilliant is that due to my mishap I could have been charged for 2 nights instead of one however I contacted the hostel and they were brilliant about it and only charged me for one night.

I also rented a bike from the hostel which I would highly recommend, they have a long list also so you can pay more to rent a nicer bike. Not all hostels had a choice and some people could only rent cheap and difficult to ride bikes so this was definitely a bonus.

The room itself was very night, probably one of the most comfortable and clean places I stayed on my journey, and even though I didn't get enough time would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2014

Above and beyond all our expectations in every way. The staff were amazing, so helpful. We were in the 6 bed dorm and it was really spacious and the beds were so comfy! The showers were clean and nice. We wish there was one in every city!
While you're in Yangshou I'd recommend staying a couple of nights in a bit further out to get more of a peaceful feel, but while your in the centre, this is the place!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends