People really need to know what they are signing up for when they book this hotel. I dont want to write negative reviews but i guess that is the whole point of trip advisor. to get to hear it straight and not promo info from a hotel website.
If you have a hire car then its not so bad a location to be able to get around the Yangshuo area and main attractions. Its located down a long and winding unlit path (not really a road) that makes access to transport difficult. The shuttle bus from the hotel to the main 'west street' ceases early. Its not on the river. I had a hire car and have driven in china many times (i live here) but be warned that its like the wild west on the roads there. dont expect people to observe the lines. They drive with main beam and fog lights on at night. be ready for this if deciding to hire a car. main form of local transport is the tricycle that are reasonably priced.
We had mold on the pillows in the room, the shower hardly worked, the fridge was tiny and hardly cold, sheets not changed and bed not made, just folded back over. You can only have one room key meaning the AC and and a device you might want to charge up has a problem. Toilet paper goes in an open top bin aside the toilet.This is not so unusual in Asia but for a hotel billed as 4 star it was a disappointment.
They allow guests to smoke in the reception/lobby/dining area.
The staff were always nice and helpful. A well stocked bar at reasonable prices and offer western food too. But try the chinese food on offer. much better in my opinion.
Its remoteness makes it a good place to relax but nothing there in terms of facilities like a pool, gym etc. Read a big book, sleep and rest assured. Watch a movie (DVD Player in the room)
The internet service was terrible.
For the money, there are better place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All rooms with fabulous views on the famous Karst Mountains, big garden to relax, pick up service from the Guilin Airport, western and Chinese kitchen, big rooms with western toilets and 24-hour hot showers. In the countryside at the bank of the beautiful Yu Long River, quiet and clean, only 6 km from Yangshuo Village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Dragon River Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dragon River Retreat Hotel Yangshuo County
- Dragon River Retreat Yangshuo County