All reviews gig airport easy access safe area machado metro flamengo neighborhood rio copacabana taxi centro
Reviewed 4 February 2017

stayed here with family. The rooms are small but well furnished and with a comfortable bed. Hotel serves good breakfast. Location is safe and close to buslines, taxis and restaurants. Hotel staff speaks english so getting information from should be fine.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for the remainder of a business trip and was pleasantly surprised... Dont be fooled by the budget price because this is definitely not a budget hotel. Its very modern, clean, friendly and polite. With breakfast included you cant go wrong - not too much of a choice for the breakfast but enough to start your day off with. The rooms have a fridge with a selection of drinks and snacks... prices very reasonable... bathroom facilities are exceptional... i stayed at this hotel for 5 days in total and found nothing dissatisfying. I would definitely revisit this hotel if i need to stay in the vacinity again - not just for business but would be suitable as a vacation stop-over too.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Leighski73
Reviewed 13 September 2016

My adult son and I stayed here for 10 days during the 2016 Summer Olympics. The hotel was very busy, so some experiences that we had might be different than what will be experienced by the casual traveler when the hotel is less busy.

First a few pointers to make your experience wonderful:

1. The rooms are very small. We were on the main floor in a room with 2 single beds. The room was 100 inches wide and 120 inches long, not counting the bathroom. From that, you need to carve out the small closet that includes hanging space for shirts, a nice size safe and a refrigerator / freezer combination and space for your luggage. The single beds are narrower than an American twin size.
2. If you look at traveler photos, you will see wood trim on the walls. It looks like it might be drawers, but it is NOT. The only storage is the small closet and a small bedside table. You will be living out of your suitcase, so pack accordingly. I knew that when I packed so I brought extra hangers for the closet (there are only 4 provided) and used those packing cubes in my suitcase to keep stuff organized. It worked fine.
3. The bathroom is surprisingly large, nice sink and very large shower. No tub. It is finished in a nice modern look and was always clean. They provided two large bath towels and 3 hand towels. There are no wash cloths, so it you like that, bring one or more along. If you forget to bring one, there is a home goods store about a block away on Catete street. There you can buy one for less than $1.
4. They have a sign that you can use to have them leave your towels to use again. If you do this, you get a credit against any charges on the mini bar. But - WARNING - you have to ask for housekeeping service. We didn't understand why no one was cleaning our room on the days that we actually wanted housekeeping. We discovered there is a switch by the door that you need to use to REQUEST housekeeping. This is very important to recognize because there is only one wastebasket in the room and it fills up very quickly if you don't ask for housekeeping. Given the small size of the room, you really need the periodic clean up.
5. We were there in August and it was incredibly humid. Between the small size of the room and the high humidity, you can't really rinse out clothes to wear again. I figured that out from the reviews before we left, but my son had not. He ended up having to dry stuff with the provided hairdryer. They do have a laundry service that sends stuff out of the hotel. We did not use that and cannot comment on it.
6. There are beverages in the refrigerator and snacks on the nightstand. We didn't use those. There is a grocery store a block away on Catete, so we bought snacks and water there and kept them in the refrigerator. There is not a coffee maker in the room, but there is a simple coffee/ espresso machine by the front desk. Coffee or espresso is about $1. They also have beer, juice, some sandwiches and deserts in a refrigerator there.

Now the good:

1. The staff - The reception staff are really helpful. They will get you a cab, help you with ideas. Give you directions. Help you set up your cellphone for local coverage and pretty much whatever you need. The folks who provide breakfast are very attentive and will get you whatever you need. The reception staff speak a number of different languages. The housekeeping staff do not, but we did not have any problem with communication.
2. Breakfast - I read many reviews that complained about the breakfast. While we were there, we found it delightful- eggs, bacon, lots of different breads, biscuits, yogurt, cheese, lots of fresh fruit, quiche, cold cereal, fruit juices, etc. The breakfast room is quite small, but when the weather is good, there are also 2 large tables on the front porch that you can use. I don't recommend returning to your room to eat, as there is no desk, table or chair. You are just eating while sitting on your bed.
3. Location - it is located in a nice, residential neighborhood. Very quiet, but easily accessible to the subway system or to taxis.
4. The internet - At times it went down, that is life when traveling. When it worked, which was most of the time, it worked GREAT. I was uploading hundreds of photos every night. I would just set my computer up and let it go. Only one night did the internet go down requiring me to finish in the morning.
5. The safe - There were a lot of concerns about crime in Rio. We had no problems. We did use the safe and were delighted that it held everything. We each had a small computer with us. I had a camera. My son had a video recorder. We had our passports, cell phones, chargers, extra batteries, money, etc. EVERTHING fit in the safe.

The not so good...

I only have one observation here and a minor complaint. The rooms are small and the hotel is small. There is little space to sit and relax. There is a very nice porch area on the front of the hotel with 2 large tables that seat about 6 people each. But the hotel was packed for the Olympics. That just meant that there was not always a place to relax. But, the good news is that there are lots of good restaurants nearby, some lovely churches and a park. So, you just need to stretch your wings.
My minor complaint is because the hotel is an older building, the air conditioning are individual units in each room. They are pretty noisy and can't really handle the humidity of Brazil. And, as common these days, they only run when your key is in the room. So...takes a while to cool down the room when you first return.

Conclusion - I knew what I was getting into and therefore, had a lovely time. I hope this review helps you have the same experience. I didn't give it the highest ratings because it just isn't a 5 star hotel. But it was a lovely experience, if you set your expectations right.

Thanks to all the staff - you helped make our trip amazing!

Room Tip: This hotel is surrounded by other buildings. No rooms have a view. So, just go with what you need and how much you want to spend.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Becky55963
Reviewed 13 August 2016

We are currently staying at this hotel for the Olympics. We have been in our room for 3 nights and our room has not been cleaned since we have been here. The room is so small you can hardly move. There was no hot water for 2 days. The bed is terrible and both my husband and I have sore backs. The breakfast is mediocre at best. The staff knows very little about the Olympics and about directions. We are so disgusted with this hotel we have booked another hotel down the street, The Royal Regency Hotel which just opened in July. The rooms are beautiful. We are world travelers and I will tell you, this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Save your money and book another hotel!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2016

i stayed there two nights and would like to say applaud the personnel for their friendliness and willingness to accommodate
room was small but adequate
breakfast not grand but adequate
location terrific