“What a time to be alive”

Sitio Roberto Burle Marx
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 135.00*
and up
Sitio Roberto Burle Marx Private Tour
Ranked #31 of 780 things to do in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Owner description: The 100-acre home of Brazil’s celebrated landscape designer reveals over 3,500 plant species, his collection of folk and other art, and whimsical touches throughout.
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

I went to the museum during the Olympics where it was free, I think it cost about 10 Brazilian Reals to visit, you could get lost in all of Mr Marx artwork collections and painting is an experience, his life story is very important to Brazil with his famous design that is all over the beaches. The tour includes a visit to Mr Marx home, you get to see all of his art work, painting ansd etc. The property is very large and with all kinds of trees, Flowers. ENJOY

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"exuberant"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 26 August 2016

At least, it used to be wonderful when the muncipality used to provide some funds. It used also to be open all days. I have not been there for a year, and I heard one has now to book visits to at least a group. But is is worth taking a closer look at the lifestyle and work - both landscaping and painting - of the best Brazilian artist of landscapes ever. One can find many other places to see his work - including Parque do Flamengo, in Rio, with dozens of different species of Brazilian flora.

Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

I've tried to book this tour a couple of times, when it has shown available.
If this operator does not accept solo travellers it needs to reflect this in the overview.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

But for Marcos Serraoo of RioActiveTours, I'd never have visited this wonderful garden.
I had done several thoroughly enjoyable trips with RioActiveTours, when Marcos, knowing I was a forester, recommended a trip to the gardens.
WOW!!! Talk about being blown away when we arrived. Entering the gates I saw for the first time two wonderful specimens of Eucapyptys deglupta, the rainbow eucalyptus. I knew I was in for a good time!
Burle Marx transformed a banana plantation into a wonderful garden, with impressive water features, sculpture, mass plantings of individual species both for their effect and to highlight background plants and trees.
There's an old 17th century chapel on site-still in use by locals- as well as his home, with art he amassed on his travels, as well as his own paintings and sculpture. He also constructed other buildings using stone and salvage from buildings being demolished in Rio de Janeiro, numbering the stone before demolition, and rearranging them at the garden. The garden is on a hillside, and is superbly maintained by the state.
Tours must be prebooked, and our guide was a biology graduate who spoke English and was fully au fait with the flora and history of the park.
Marcos had arranged the tour, and we traveled there by car-cost for transportation and entry was 90 reais.
Before the gardens, Marcos stopped off at Prainha beach, where we took a 20 minute hike to the top of the hill to enjoy the magnificent views, then back to the beach for a swim and a rest.
As it was close to lunchtime, Marcos took us to a small seafood restaurant, where for less than 60 reais, the three of us enjoyed an amazing seafood stew, plus drinks. Seriously, it would have been worth the 90 reais just to drive here for a meal.
I guess this the beauty of having a small and local tour guide, who knows what's what, and who can show travelers the real Rio that he loves and knows so well.
Great hike, swim. meal and garden. Many thanks Marcos!

1  Thank Irishtreeguy