2,727 results
All reviews porto bay hotel rooftop pool copacabana beach christ the redeemer top floor overlooking the beach sparkling wine beach service excellent hotel panoramic view flip flops sugar loaf corner room sugarloaf mountain our honeymoon breakfast buffet reception staff
Reviewed 12 November 2018

Positives

They rooms on the upper levels have the most amassing side sea views of Copacabana beach e.g floors 17 to 19. Rooms are very spacious and clean and the balcony is a big plus. The rooms are cleaned daily and on time. The hotel also hands out chocolates at night and tidies up you room, this is in my view was a good touch.

Breakfast is what you expect from a 4 star hotel , excellent and they even provide champagne. The restaurant where breakfast is severed has the most amazing views of Copacabana beach

The rooftop bar and pool area, note its not a pool in the normal sense of the word but a gig Turkish /Jacuzzi functioning a pool. The gentleman on the roof top bar is extremely friendly and makes the most amassing drinks. There is also two steam rooms on the 20 floor , which I enjoyed using.

The staff a generally well versed in English and very friendly and helpful.

Negatives
They do to provide coffee in the room only tea. A price list of the goodies in the mini bar was also not provided. The normal information about the hotel e.g internal numbers, facilities available ect was also not in the room (1907).

I had a steak at the in house restaurant, which in my view was not up to standard and a little expensive. I do however presume their other dishes are nice.

Also stay clear from drawing money from the ATM of the forth floor. I paid more in commission and conversion fees that I paid when drawing money at a local Bank's ATM.

Drinks and food a prices at the hotel and that to be expected.

All in all this is an amasing hotel and I will book it again on my return to Rio

Room tip: Ask from room away from the lifts and on upper floors
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and comments. It was a great pleasure to welcome you to PortoBay Rio de Janeiro.
We were pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel.
We hope to see you again soon.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2018

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of a group tour of S America. We had a nice welcome by the reception staff with a glass of bubbly and were given our room keys. Took a while to get to the rooms as only 2 -3 people with their cases could fit into the lifts!

Room was nice but a little squashed between the bed and the wardrobe, so we should probably have asked for a double instead of the twin we were given. Bedding was nice and also the bathroom with rainfall shower.

Having just arrived we were in a need of a cuppa, so tried to boil the kettle, only to find that the hotel's kettle doesn't fit the hotel's plugs - very strange! So quick phone call to housekeeping and the bellboy brought an adapter. Also be aware (don't know if this is the same in most Brazilian hotels) but the sockets are set back into the wall, so most of our adapters wouldn't fit in, you had to stack 2 on top of each other to get them to work.

We had a side view of the sea which was fine and a nice little balcony- we didn't spend that much time in the room really. We ate in the dining room on the first night and enjoyed our meal which was reasonably priced. Breakfast was also good the next morning, and to celebrate the end of our tour we had bubbly too! On the second evening a few of us went to an Italian restaurant about 10 mins walk along the front (La Trattoria?), which reception had told us about, and which was excellent. Fast service and good food at a reasonable price, nice wine too!

The hotel is obviously in a good area for the beach and also near to the shopping area about 2 streets behind. The reception also change money which is helpful. The views from the pool and bar are excellent, we didn't have great weather for sunbathing but it was a nice area to rest and relax.

Reception allowed us to keep our room for an extra couple of hours on the day we were leaving and there is storage for your cases if you need to leave them for a while. They also provided two rooms for us all to shower and change in, as the shower in the bathroom area near the pool was not working, which was really helpful

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for the time you spent giving us your opinion of your experience at our hotel.
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.
Hope to see you again soon at PortoBay Rio de Janeiro.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 October 2018

Cannot say anything bad about this hotel. My stay here got off to a great start with a glass of champagne for myself and my partner on arrival and to make things even better on check-in, they upgraded us to a full sea view with balcony (room 702). WOW. So a big thank you for that which made our stay so much enjoyable.
All the staff were friendly, room was spacious and cleaned everyday, wifi did its purpose, breakfast was excellent which had everything for all tastes. roof top pool with the bar/food was great, beach had its own area with sun loungers,towels etc, I could go on what this hotel had to offer but i would take up a whole page. 9 times out of 10 they will probably have it, do it or can offer it.
Would definitely stay here again, highly recommend, and wish the hotel continuous excellent service.

Date of stay: October 2018
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2018

Dear Guest,
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us, and the room upgrade was a plus.
We hope to see you again soon at PortoBay Rio de Janeiro Hotel.
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and the staff were so helpful and welcoming. It’s a perfect location right on the beach (however be careful on the beach. We had been robbed and knife point visiting in the evening)
The room is amazing! Spacious and clean TV had a few English movies and channels. Breakfast absolutely delicious.
Gift shops located around and a nice night club round the corner and a few tattoo shops.
I can’t find a negative thing to say! Would definitely recommend and will be staying again.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2018

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor. We are sure this will help many other guests to choose PortoBay Rio de Janeiro for a future stay. Sorry to hear about your experience at the beach in the evening. We don´t recommend the beach at night, only if you stay on the side walk.
We hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,
Front Office manager

Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

I'm in Rio on a business trip. I arrived 2 days early to enjoy the city. My disappoint was a superior room that looked onto the building next door. I immediately requested a new room, but here was no availability. Reception told me that I would be added to a list of people interested in an upgrade. Day two, I check with a different gentleman at reception for an upgrade. He informed me that a room directly above the room that I'm in is available. Well that would mean looking at the same view. (I had already informed him that the view was disappointing and I could hear street noise, even people speaking.) This gentleman was distracted and could clearly care less. I was informed to try back tomorrow morning. I am who I am so I come to TripAdvisor to look for a room and surprise surprise there are better rooms available for the duration of my stay. Moral of the story, book a room with a view. Avoid 608 and I suspect any room ending with 08; beyond having no view and the street noise, the electric box buzzed all night and if you fully open the bathroom door you hit the toilet. #annoyed

1  Thank PB279
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your concerns about our hotel.
We apologise for the inconvenience caused, but you have booked a Superior room with limited side ocean view.
It was offered a room on a higher floor, but still the same category you booked with limited side ocean view and you refused.
We always tried to give the best service for our guest, but sometimes the high ocupancy don´t allow us.
We hope that your next visit will give us the opportunity to demonstrate the usual quality of our services, and I would like to personaly take care of your reservation with us!
Kind regards,