“Great Place”

Lisetonga Hostel
Ulm, Germany
“Great Place”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We started our 3 month trip through south america in Rio and decided to stay at Lisetonga Hostel. We were a bit afraid when we read about the hostel being down a favella. In cooperation with this Hostel we booked an economic airport pick up and arrived savely. Finally I think this is one of the safest neighbourhoods you can stay in Rio. It is very close to the beach, to public transport and the hostel is situated in a really nice colonial building, cordially decorated and it offers a nice patio as well as a tower lounge equipped with two hammocks. Staff was really friendly and helpful, breakfast was what you can expect for the price and facilities were in good condition. I really can recommend you this hostel and hope you are going to have such a great time as we had!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sonrisa222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Paris, France
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Originally, I was supposed to stay at the hostel for two weeks, but I continually extended my stay until the end of my visit to Rio de Janeiro. Staying at the hostel was one of the best decisions I have ever taken. It is my family in Rio: they made sure to help me in any and every way possible. Also, being so close to the favela allowed me to see the hidden face of Brazil. The beach is no more than five minutes from the hostel and oftentimes I would go there to read. Transport is nearby, shops, supermarkets and entertainment is often around the corner. After a while the hill becomes nothing to climb and I've even toned my legs a bit. I really recommend this hostel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Akilah E
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We booked the hostel for one night, but kept extending our stay, because of the great city and besides that because of the great hostel. We were a bit afraid when we read about the hostel being down a favella, but I think this is one of the safest neighbourhoods you can stay in Rio. We travelled through Brazil for 1,5 months and this was definitely the best hostel we stayed. It's clean, safe, people are very nice and helpfull, breakfast is ok and you're at the beach in a 5 min walk. The guy from the reception even gave us one night for free, because we stayed more than 6 nights (we didn't ask for this).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank K P
Cachoeiras de Macacu, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I have been visiting Lisetonga no a regular basis over the last three months and have to say that I'm very happy with the services provided. I really like its location. Although a bit on the hill, the atmosphere of the place is very authentic and makes one feel like a part of the local community. Morover, the hostel is still very close to beach, bars and restaurants. I think the most amazing about the places is a very friendly staff that runs this place. Thanks a lot. Great value for the money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Peter S
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 3 August 2012

we have stayed in lisetonga for one week and decided to stay more. hostel is located about 10-15 min. by walk from copacabana, situated in wonderfull colonial building. there are 2 hamakas on the top, where u can relax.it is great after busy day in rio.
staff is very nice and helpfull, breakfast is one of the best we ever had in south america.
we appreciate comfortable beds, cleaness and family atmosphere.
really recommend lisetonga !
katka and zdenko from slovakia

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple