All reviews reading room old town stylish hotel very attentive staff first floor comfortable bed very nice stay great atmosphere three nights swimming pool spa suite pousada brazil bay
Reviewed 29 August 2016

We stayed for several days at the Pousada, the staff is very friendly. The restaurant is way better than what one can find in town. The hotel has been renovated and the decoration and furniture are exceptional . We stayed in the apartment , way too big for 2 but very nice nevertheless, if you do not need that space, you should opt for a big room on the second floor.
My only regret is that despite notices offering to save on energy by keeping the towels without changing them every day , the housekeeping staff would change everything every day. But we enjoyed our stay ad would go back .

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2016

We had just finished with the Olympic Games and went to Paraty to have a few days of rest and relation before returning to the United States. The historic section of Paraty is reminiscent of the Greek Isles with a distinctly Brazalian flavor. We knew the Pousada Literaria was supposed to be a five star resort, but it was hard to believe that such a thing could exist in the environs of the historic section. We were pleasantly surprised that it is not only possible, but has been achieved by this resort hotel. Once you enter the inner courtyard of the hotel you are instantly relaxed and impressed by the beauty and comfort of the hotel grounds. The staff is friendly and helpful in seeking to ensure that your stay is a delight. They did not fail us. The suite and the restaurant were top notch. The spa and pool were great. The town itself is charming and the townspeople are warm and helpful.

Stayed: August 2016
Reviewed 24 May 2016

I rarely put a 5 stars to an hotel on TripAdvisor. I am a frequent but quite demanding traveler. I must admit that if the 6 stars was available I would have put 6 to the Pousada Literaria in Paraty. One of the best hotels I ever visited (and I have visited a lot !). Let see if I can find any CONs anyway :-) ?

PROS:

- Service, service , service. From the arrival to the departure, the service is excellent, staff members are smiling, available, helpful, well trained. Congrats for the well done job. A special thanks for Gaelle, but frankly everybody is Top Notch. A manager always is present when there is some work in the garden or the buildings. Visibly this hotel is closely managed.
- Room. We booked a Master. Wonderful room, large, clear, with a great bed, a wide Jacuzzi tub within the bedroom, a nice bathroom with a large shower. Nice view on the pool and even 2 seats and a small table on the shared outside corridor for relaxing or having a drink in the evening. As soon as you go out in the morning the room already is cleaned and put into order. In addition to the larger cleaning in the afternoon.
- Spa. We were offered a massage for 2 ! Great professional people, great relaxing facilities. There is even a hot sauna and a small fitness room free of charge. Quite nice after one day walking on the bad stones of the Paraty streets or visiting the marvelous islands around.
- Facilities. Plenty of common space around the relatively large pool, the bar, the garden and in the immense reading room. Very good WiFi everywhere and in the rooms as well.
- Food. We have not tried the restaurant as there are plenty of interesting local restaurants in Paraty, but we heard a lot of good things from others customers. The breakfast at the bar is kindly served by the lovely staff who do the best to prepare for you - on order - what you wish, in addition to the buffet. The idea to have the possibility to have your "breakfast" anytime during the day is a fantastic idea.
- Location. Cannot be better. We can arrive by car from the "new" part of the town and then walking directly on the other side into the "old" town. Very convenient and slightly outside the crowd and the noise of the evenings.

CONs : frankly they are difficult to find .
- I have one ! We did not find any paper tissues in our room . Ouf ! I got one
- Maybe a coffee machine in the room would be a good idea but I know that it is not common in Brazil ?

Excellent stay on all aspects at the Pousada Literaria. I understand that there a few "tourists traps" in Paraty. This one certainly is not. Highly recommended . We will come back with pleasure when we come back to Brazil.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2016

Good location in the old town - very green and tranquil. Lovely breakfast area with very attentive staff. Reception staff were multi lingual and extremely helpful and also helped with the organisation of trips. The pool area is lovely - gorgeous setting and long enough to swim . A little warm for my taste as I like to swim laps but most people seemed very happy with the temperature. Initially we were given a downstairs room which was very dark due to the outside shrubbery - we asked to change and were given 23 which is an upstairs standard room and we were happy with the change. Possibly number 21 at the end would be the most private and light of the standard rooms . There were more expensive rooms on the other side of the pool I think upstairs best for light as long as you have no mobility problems. There is a gorgeous library area usually empty . Can't finish without mentioning the wonderful spa.50 minute complimentary treatments for each guest . I went four times - and I have regular treatments at home. It is a lovely place offering a wide variety of treatments. Had three with Ana - a special therapist and a lovely person. Can thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are lighter. Number 21 ( standard room) is at the end of the balcony and most quite private.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2016

We have spent 4 days in this Pousada. Hard to find words for expressing the hospitality and helpfullness of the staff. All these people have made us feel great and welcommed.
They not only helped us with everything we needed in a hotel or in the city but also did a great job helping us to find the lost luggage in Sao Paulo airport and the luggage was waiting there for us on our trip back home to Europe.
Thank you guys.
The Pousada itself is a great place to stay with everything you need. Rooms are comfy, well air conditioned and clean. We love the enterior a lot and the very idea of the pousada.
We are travelling a lot around the world and we can only recommend this pousada for a safe and quality stay in Paraty.
Thank you again!

Room Tip: We enjoyed rooms at the swimming pool on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends