We were looking for a luxury escape in the jungle. We were prepared for higher than average prices for excellent accommodation, service, and food -- if you are looking for a bargain don't stay in this hotel. We didn't expect nature to stop at the boundary of a hotel in the middle of the jungle -- if you can't stand tiny ants don't visit the jungle, do not even come to Brazil, at least not in the spring or summer time.
Having set expectations right, the Hotel das Cateratas fulfilled all of our desires, from arrival to departure. Many of the concerns and claims that I came across in the reviews before booking the hotel are just because some people apparently do not read. For example, you pay the entrance fee for the park only once. When re-entering you just need to show your room card. Upon arrival, I'd recommend you take the separate entrance for hotel guests and park workers, that's it. Advise your taxi driver if you don't prefer to be picked up and brought by a comfortable hotel car, which clearly is a bit more costly than a cab.
After check in, the receptionist guided us through the hotel, explaining all of its services, to our room in the garden wing. We booked a superior room, actually the lowest available category of rooms and suites available, but higher category rooms don't really add much value. It was beautiful decorated, colonial style, with lovely details. And calm. No noise from the outside, no noise from the room above, no noise from the air-conditioning. If you are only used to US American hotel chains you would most likely consider room sizes small, but it was spacious enough for the three of us.
As a nice detail, the hotel offers free Havaianas in each room, hence we had to check out the pool right after unpacking. A servant immediately placed bath towels on the sunloungers of our choice. The kids pool was just perfect for our 3 toddler. Pool service was excellent, executed orders promptly, offered cool towels and fruits once in a while.
In terms of food, you have the choice between two restaurants. One at the pool side that offers an a la carte menu or buffet, the other one with a view at the falls and a nice terrace, offering an a la carte menu only. We chose the buffet that varies daily but comes with a churrasco that includes various delicious cuts. Prices are a little bit higher than a Fogo de Chao, so not really exceptional if you compare it to top quality churrascarias in Brazil. Afterwards, you can have your sundowner either at the pool or on the terrace of the bar.
Breakfast is served in the restaurant at the pool side and starts with champagne. It is very rich in choice but if there is anything you miss, plenty of helpful waiters are around, trying to fulfill your wishes.
Unfortunately we had to leave after 3 nights. Checkout was super fast, uncomplicated and friendly. Try to get on top of the tower if you haven't already done so during the earlier days, to catch some of the beautiful views of the falls and the hotel resort that makes the good-bye even harder. And if you have a little bit of time left and booked the transfer to the airport through the hotel, the driver would drive you for a final view of the falls.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the spectacular Iguacu Falls in Iguacu National Park, the 5-star Belmond Hotel das Cataratas provides free Wi-Fi internet access. Guests can enjoy a cocktail by the swimming pool or play a game of tennis on the provided court. The falls can be experienced by speed boat, rafting or by a helicopter flyover. For excitement and adventure, guests can enjoy abseiling, rock climbing and canopy walks. Walking tours allow for the surrounding lush rain forest to be explored. Belmond Hotel das Cataratas offers traditional Portuguese styled rooms with a flat screen TV, dark wood furniture and warm natural tones. Some rooms provide a balcony and seating area. The two restaurants on-site provide views of the falls and of the hotel's pool. They serve a selection of international and local Brazilian cuisine. In the evening live music can be enjoyed in the downstairs bar. The Iguacu Falls lie between the Brazilian state of Parana and Argentina. The Brazilian side offers postcard panoramic views, while the Argentinian side provides varied, up-close views. The hotel is located in a privileged position, alongside the Iguassu Falls. It is in fact the only hotel situated in the Iguassu National Park. Because of its prime location, the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas offers its guests a unique experience - taking walks along the trails by the falls which may be done at any time during the day, with the added advantage that from 7 a.M to 9 a.M, the trails are for guests of the hotel exclusively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Agoda, lastminute.com.au, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Belmond Hotel das Cataratas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Das Cataratas Hotel
- Tropical Das Cataratas
- Hotel Das Cataratas
- Hotel Tropical Das Cataratas
- Belmond Hotel Das Cataratas Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil - PR