“Too touristic, very expensive”

Chapada Diamantina National Park
Reviewed 16 March 2017

I made the Vale do Pati trip (3 days) in the park. The price was 350 reals per person per day... until I realised some people had paid 200 reals for exactly the same. There is no real competition between the guides agencies and all prices are very high : beware ! Te trek itself was a lot of efforts, which were not worth it : landscapes are not fascinating, they are always the same, I've been to many more surprising regions in my life. Really disappointing.
Lencois city is made only for tourists and you can feel it so hard in the crazy prices and boring atmosphere - nothing authentic.

2  Thank Cristianne R
in 10 reviews
"salvador"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I took a shot in the dark and contacted Extreme Eco Adventures about a 4 day hike through Chapada Diamantina's Pati Valley having no idea who they were or what separated them from the rest. We contacted many companies and all offered around the same rate for a private tour. The group options were nice, if you are looking to meet people, unfortunately all the groups we ran into were very loud and not enjoying their personal silence and the incredible nature surrounding them.

We hit the jackpot on our choice!
Thiago (our guide and co-owner of Extreme Eco Adventures), was one of the most genuine, fun, kind hearted person you will ever meet.
We learnt more from him in those four days then we have our entire 3 weeks in Brazil so far.
He had us extremely well fed (over fed if anything), with great food the entire trip which he carried in a massive pack on his own. He has a gift for reading his crowd. He will shorten the trek and do more swimming/sight-seeing, or make it longer/ more intense if he feels that is what you prefer that day. We had a lovely combination of both.

We stayed in the villages over night and enjoyed their lovely authentic cooking and stayed in their homes which was a fabulous experience.
The views along the way were absolutely breath taking. Having traveled a lot, I thought I had seen it all, but not even close!This trek is one in a million. After being to lovely world wonders and sites with thousands of people in Brazil, it was refreshing to be in such a serene place with nearly no one around you.
We left tired, but in a good way. A perfect challenge.

Even though Lençois (where the tour begins), may be a bit out of the way to get to I highly recommend it. It's a beautiful town that has much more to offer when you are finished this trek.

Kind regards,

Rhea & Jamie (from Canada ❤️)

3  Thank rrdufort
Reviewed 5 December 2016

I purchased and payed for my tour on the last day of my holidays in Chapada Diamentina National Park. Organization name Zen Tour took a money from me and cancelled my trip without finding any alternative and solution. By the time when they told me i am going nonwhere becouse they don't have big enought car to fit all the tourists all the other agencies had no more avalable tours for that day. I had to pay a fortune to go on private with the guide with the different agencie. I deffernitely do not recommend ZenTour in Lencios.

2  Thank Inga B
Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

We started the tour (3 days) from lençois and were very unhappy about it. Not all guides are good and if you are foreigner chances are that you get completley ripped off.. The prices are too high for what is offered on the tour (most guides want more than 100 dollars a day!), our guide was rude and there was not enough food. Make sure they go down with the price at least 100 reais (even though 250 reais is still too much but probably the cheapest you can get). Also we didnt walk much and since we went in august, the weather was pretty bad and we couldnt go to many of the promised places, altough of course they didnt tell us that before (we did the trilha in vale do paty). In my opinion it wasnt worth it at all, actually one of the biggest fail during our brazil trip. If you are on a budget, its safe to say you can skip Chapada Diamantina, since there are much nicer places with better guides and less ripoff.

6  Thank Corina_P123
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 March 2016

We spent 7 days here, we are only sorry that we couldn't stay more !!! The waterfalls, Lencois and the laid back hippy atmosphere, the food, the culture, the views and tours... Everything that you can imagine is in this National Park !! The only problem that we had was with the atms machines. they didn't always work and a lots of places didn't have credit card machines so it is very important that before you sit in a restaurant or book a tour, you check if they accept credit card. We arrived from Salvador by plane, it was a pity that we didn't take the night bus like we did on our last day because it is so comfortable !!! We booked our tours with Zen tur, we asked for English speaking guides and we where very happy and satisfied. Daniel is an amazing guide, he provided us with all the info of the tours that we had and he speaks more then 10 languages ! If you can do the The Petty Valley tour, we didn't make it as our hotel was already booked.The food is not that expansive and you will find everything you need like supermarkets, tours and shops to buy survivors. I left my heart in this place, will defiantly go back again :)

4  Thank Amy B