3,341 results
All reviews the river tennis courts colonial style amazon forest bidet tours monkeys
Reviewed 2 November 2018

You can tell this used to be something special but that time has passed. The area around the hotel is no longer jungle and has now undergone upscale development...major upscale. The Tropical has not undergone renovation and has fallen into disrepair. The lighting in the lobby/courtyard is dim and the AC has asthma. The check-in process takes forever but at least there was nothing wrong. There are a few retail units in the outside mall but there are more empty spaces than occupied. Also, the zoo is sad. I hope the Tropical will decide to re-home their animals.

The room was clean. However, everything was worn and outdated with VERY scary wiring. One of the night side table lights was burned out. The bidet was gone but there was still a shower head hanging on the wall next to the toilet. The shower door, glass, had a broken hinge and opened into the shower!

The grill was closed and the other restaurant closed at 7:00 PM. Fortunately, the bar serves pizza which was fairly good.

There is a nice bar by the pool and the pool looked well maintained although we did not use it.

I've never had trouble checking out of a hotel before the Tropical but...they couldn't find change for a 50 real bill ($16) and had to accept my Visa, grumpily.

My recommendation is to choose another hotel and take a cab to the Tropical to meet your river cruise.

Room Tip: This is a huge place, so, plan on walking.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2018

Having made a reservation well in advance, I saw many critical reviews appearing on Tripadvisor and began to have regrets. However, they turned out to be misplaced as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We did occupy a Junior Suite which was excellent, a very spacious room, part bedroom, part lounge and everything worked - air-con was under our control and not unduly noisy, shower was good, etc. From our window we saw tamarins, saki monkeys, sloth and large iguanas. The Junior Suite is well worth the little extra. Breakfast was the best on our tour of Amazonas and the extensive grounds give you plenty of opportunity to stretch your legs - the small zoo is optional depending on your taste and if you are into birds, we ticked-off over 30 species. The staff are also friendly, informative and helpful.
The downside, yes parts of the large complex are in need of some attention (this is not a new hotel) but this did not directly impact on our stay or enjoyment and the restaurant service was very slow and although the beef, when it arrived, was excellent, the chips and rice were cold. A small complaint, the fridge contained just 2 small bottles of water which we assumed were complimentary but no, on check-out we were charged for them - a small unnecessary annoyance.
So, unless you are a real nit-picker, have a stay at the Tropical, you are after all in the middle of the Amazon Forest!

Stayed: September 2018
Reviewed 22 October 2018

I had read the previous bad reviews and didn't expect much but I wanted to look for monkeys and birds in the forest around the hotel so booked anyway. What a surprise. I was looked after so well by Bernado the chief bellboy. He helped me with check in and took my cases to my room. I had booked a delux room and it was beautiful. So large with a huge 8ft bed , fridge, the most efficient air con I have ever experienced and free use of a safe. The bathroom was clean with plenty of towels, soap shampoo etc. There was no dirt, mould or musty smell as mentioned in other reviews. The reception staff were so friendly and helpful especially Joao Paul with his perfect upper class English accent and sense of humour. Marcos spoke excellent English . Marcello
was extremely helpful in finding me a guide for the morning and even coming to the breakfast room to find me so that I talk on the phone and make arrangements with the guide. The breakfast was very good with lots of choice. I did find it odd that there were no desserts available for dinner not even ice cream. Room 1221 is recommended.

Room Tip: 1221 is about 4 minutes walk from reception but the corridors arefull of old colonial furniture.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

At a first glance the hotel seems great until you see that it is dirty and out dated. Our room was great because we upgraded but the restaurant called the grill doesn’t exist, the whole place
Is a maze. The hotel took 2 hours to check us in, they need more staff massively.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

I usually am forgiving and 1 star is a very very hard judgement. We came here for 1 night as a lay over. Last week we stayed at Villa Amazonia - see my outstanding review there.
If your hotel has eco in the name - please be eco. Everything is plastic, even shampoo is in plastic 1-way bottles. Normal non-eco hotels have reusable bottles installed in the shower. No problem. BUT, the main hotels lobby's windows are COVERED in cob webs, nobody speaks a lot of English, the rooms are really badly furnished and feel faceless. The restaurant does not have ANY wines and one restaurant which is supposed to be a grill, does not even exist. The staff does not know about it, yet it appears in signs within the building.
The TV (who wants to watch TV on vacation?) Has a lot of channels but the reception is bad and the channels repeat themselves randomly.
The whole hotels is not taken care of at all. A lot of things are broken and you can see, the owner has no interest in keeping this place in shape.
It is, sincerely, a slap in the face for tourists who would expect a real eco hotel or lodge. These are a plenty in the Amazon and usually very nice, but please please don't go here if you want to have something with character.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family