Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 March 2016 via mobile

We booked this on booking.com for two nights, and the only room that showed up as available was a twin with shared bathroom so we just booked that and paid 203 Bolivianos per night on arrival (cash only and no receipt). We were told a representative from the hostel would meet us at the port which they did...it was a 12 year old girl. In fact most of the staff were children here which was disturbing. The shared bathroom had a glass door with rusty hinges that constantly got jammed so you were either struggling to close it or got locked inside.
This would all be manageable if it wasn't for what we discovered on our second day. A group of people arrived and had not booked in advance. They were charged 100 bolivianos per night for a room with a shared bathroom - more than HALF what we had to pay. When I queried this with the hostel they got defensive and said we were charged the booking.com price. Where do they get off charging double the price for reserving in advance?

We emailed booking.com to let them know their customers were being ripped off. They in turn contacted the hostel who concocted a complete lie and told them we didn't have enough money to pay so they only charged us 100 bolivianos. This is actually laughable and just shows what a scam they are running in hostel del sol. AVOID

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank matz1987
Reviewed 13 February 2016

Perhaps at our own fault, we didn't expect to have to climb uphill for 45 minutes to get to this hostel. There are donkeys that can carry your luggage up at a price though.

The hostel also seemed to be primarily run by the school-age children of the family which was strange and a little unnerving. The breakfast is pretty decent and the rooms do feel secure though. And when one of the locks on my friend's pack got jammed, the kids secured a small saw and helped us painstakingly saw through the lock for half an hour which was super nice of them!

There's wifi but seems like only one person at a time can use it. Shower was cold when I tried to use it.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2016

Highly recommended. The bhostel is located at the top of the mountain which makes for amazing views from your room and for breakfast. It's about a 30-40min hike to the top from the south port, it's a bit difficult to find but keep climbing to the top and ask locals along the way. There is a similar named establishment called "Hotel imperial del sol" on the way, keep walking past this.

The rooms are clean, the beds warm, family staff nice and the breakfast quite sufficient (eggs, bread, jam, coffee, yogurt). We paid US$29 through booking.com for a twin room and thought this was good value. There's nice restaurants (get the trout) near by to watch the sunset that also have wifi making up for the no wifi at the hostel. Bathrooms are island standard.

Only bad thing I have to say is that the doors can not be locked from the inside, so we found ourselves putting a chair against the door when inside. It's also freezing and windy outside the room so you do want to stay inside.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2015 via mobile

I didn't expect to be picked up and therefore climbed up the hill myself. Anyone with a reasonable fitness and patience to take breaks along the way can do the climb. The reward is the view, both to the east as the west.

Breakfast, on the terrace facing east (sunrise, Isla del Luna) was good. Eggs, butter, jam with actual fruits, yoghurt, tea and coffee.

Since I booked a shared bathroom which was not available anymore, I got a private bathroom instead. The water was just not cold but far from even lukewarm. The shared bathroom which I used on the second day did have warm water.

Rooms were simple but good enough. Beds were comfortable.

The hosts are very friendly. I asked them to do my laundry, which they apparently do not yet offer as a service. After a day, my clothes were washed but not yet dried. In order to catch the boat I had to pack my wet clothes. That was the only disappointment I have faced, I enjoyed the hostel very much.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2015 via mobile

This is a lovely family run hostel. It is at the top of the island and is a tough walk after the boat (but donkeys carry your stuff). However, once you are up there you are in close proximity to a number of resteraunts, you have excellent views and are in a good position to start the walk of the island. You only need to return to the port when you leave.

It's true the hostel is basic. It has warm water (not hot) and the internet doesn't work. In my opinion the island should stay as basic as possible and stay away from upmarket hotels etc. Otherwise in 10 years time it will look like Copa (horrible!)

The breakfast was excellent and the view that accompanied it was unbelievable. The family were helpful and patient with our complete lack of Spanish. It cost us 400 bob ($57) for two nights, room with private bathroom and breakfast.

Date of stay: July 2015