All reviews traditional japanese breakfast furniture neighborhood bath toilet ryokan location
Reviewed 23 January 2018

This place is in a nice quiet residential neighbourhood very near a train station. The beach and the Buddhist temples are a short hike away. So location is really nice. The room is huge by Japanese standards (I chose a Japanese style room) and service was impeccable. I have had better food in other ryokans but if you take the price into consideration, it is really rather good. So overall, I really like this place and taking everything into consideration, I think it's excellent.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Japanese hospitality at it's best ! Very friendly staff, excellent dinner, bath experience if you like to relax after visiting all day. If “outdated“ as some wrote, it add's to the charm of the stay; we would come again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc S
Reviewed 1 March 2016

We spent one night here in February, while on a two-week visit to Tokyo. I've stayed in many ryokan over the years, and this one was a solid choice.

The location was great - just steps from a stop on the Eno-den triangle from Kamakura, quite close to the beach and many local sites, and in quite a nice, posh neighbourhood. We ate dinner at Matsubara-an, which turned out to be next door.

The staff were pleasant and helpful - about what you'd expect anywhere in Japan. Not sure if they speak any English.

Our room was quite nice. Very big, with a gorgeous view from its sunroom/sitting area. And it's own bath. (We didn't use it, preferring the shared baths, which were bigger.) I saw some complaints about the datedness of the furniture, the pillows, heater, etc, in another recent review. Not sure what that person was expecting. Clearly a first-time visitor to Japan. Our room was on par with most of the better Japanese-style inns I've visited before. Dated? Sure. Charming? Definitely!

The baths, as I mentioned, were decent. Nothing special. Separate men's and ladies', and no chance of a couple being able to use one together. No outdoor baths.

We didn't eat dinner there, but the breakfast was quite good. A traditional Japanese style. I doubt they have the option of a western breakfast.

Overall, we definitely enjoyed our stay. But were a bit surprised at checkout. (My wife had booked the room.) While the inn ranked up there with other nice inns, it was also amongst the most expensive we've stayed in. We weren't disappointed, but might not have made the same choice, if we'd been paying more attention to price.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JasonManikel
Reviewed 11 April 2015

I have wondered what rating I should give to this hotel. It was better than expected but I would never stay there again!
Let me explain: our japanese friends booked this hotel for us, to experience a typical japanese hotel. So I really hadn't looked into what this meant or how much it would cost until the time came to pay!
So first the pros: It's clean, the rooms are very spacious and the staff is really, really, really polite and working towards making your stay a pleasant ones. If you like japanese style breakfast, they serve a huge variety.
Now the cons: The pillows were very hard and uncomfortable, I had a headache from it and slept without a pillow using a jacket as one. Our room smelled of food and no matter how much I opened the windows and tried to make it go away it wouldn't, since the japanese breakfast is served and eaten in the rooms, so I guess the smell of fish and soup has stayed.Furniture is very used and outdated and the bathroom is really outdated and not nice to be in. The air heater made noise and never really warmed up the room. Extremely expensive! It cost as much as the Hyatt Regency in Hakone so for that price NO WAY I would stay there again.
Another point to know is as soon as you enter the hotel you have to remove your shoes and wear the slippers provided. And then once you enter the room, you have to remove even those slippers and walk with socks. And once in the WC they have another pair of slippers left, that write toilet on them, and you use those for that part of the room.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank alkimadrid
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This nice Ryokan is very well located near the beaches and close to the railways station.
The traditional tatami Japanese room is comfortable and the traditional Japanese breakfast is very good with a very good service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family