Open today: 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Review Highlights
My favorite temple!

This is a peaceful and beautifully groomed little oasis tucked away from the hustle and bustle of... read more

Reviewed 3 December 2018
Cheryl224
Hamamatsu, Japan
Temple with garden

The temple itself is old and is clearly a temple used by worshippers. At the back there is a... read more

Reviewed 15 August 2018
Stephan1954
The Hague, The Netherlands

All reviews japanese history zen garden beauty architecture explanation attractions
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I immediately fell in love with this place. Very inspiring and peaceful, I felt as if time slowed down as I walked around the temple. The serene style of this Japanese garden is spectacular both in design formation and colours. I definitely recommend visiting around Autumn since the leaves are absolutely stunning!

Date of experience: December 2013
Reviewed 8 December 2012

What a gorgeous and inspiring environment. Saw a picture of the current imperial family visiting the temple 30 years ago. They must have been as moved by the architecture and the calm beauty of the garden as I was. I was lucky to meet the abbot; his English is fantastic. He is from the region and obviously loves and is proud of his temple. If you like peace, this is the place; if you like to meditate, this is the place. I was very close to asking the monks to shave my head and take me in. Not to be missed.

Date of experience: December 2012
2  Thank WorldIsAVillage
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This temple ranks in my mind amongst the best in the Japan and I have been to many. Lots to see in lovely gardens.

Date of experience: December 2012
2  Thank David R
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Hamamatsu has its attractions--good food, beautiful lake, friendly business environment--but its temples aren't well known. There are hundreds of temples in Hamamatsu, and although they are very special to visit for someone coming from another country, I can see why they aren't leading tourist destinations.

However, the Ryotanji Temple is something else. Parts of the temple feature just gorgeous architecture, and the surrounding area is very peaceful and full of trees. However, the main attraction is the beautiful rock garden, a place that, in my inexpert opinion, rivals some of the gardens in Kyoto.

The staff is very helpful and even offered pamphlets in English, which was a nice touch. Adding to the appeal of this temple is its location: we went to Kiga station and then took a nice drive around the lake to this temple. This part of Hamamatsu is beautiful, really beautiful.

If you're in Hama on a business trip, I definitely recommend checking out this temple.

Date of experience: August 2011
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Ryotanji is best known by the rock garden created by the art master Enshu Kobori, well-known garden creator in late 16th to 17th century. The garden was designed so that by viewing from the study room the rock can be seen equally aligned. But the temple's appeal does not end there. The temple's atmosphere gives you the piece of mind by seeing the great sculpture works or bhudda statues, artful calligraphy scrolls. If you are interested in Japanese history it has lots of Iyi clan properties including that of Naosuke Iyi who was assasinated in Sakuradamon gate in 1860. And don't forget that the restroom is inside the temple and not at parking space.