All reviews french press ground coffee new building rooftop bar street bistro degree view happy hour older building charming hotel top floor no air conditioning downtown anacortes san juan islands small town the main street bed was very comfortable king suite
Reviewed 14 March 2016 via mobile

I am not one to share, I have to:
Let me start with we had a timeline and it was shared with The Majestic.
The reception room was not ready when the florist arrived, the florist & I had to iron table runners while the table cloths were being pressed.
I wanted all the table linens ironed, I checked back in, the buffet table drapes were not so I had to ask them to take them off and iron. The chair sashes were not ironed, my friend had to steam them last minute. (Pressed table linens is a reasonable request, I had requested numerous times prior to the day of the wedding)
The exit door from the ceremony room was blocked with a big roll of carpet, I was told it could not be moved, so the guests had to exit and walk on commercial avenue from the ceremony to the reception. (White table cloths were hung over the door & rented wall units to block the window so our guests did not see the ugly carpet roll) mind you at the 1 month appointment prior to the wedding it was not there and the exit strategy was agreed to, the ceremony room was an extra 2,500.
Twinkle lights were not turned on behind the bride & groom at the ceremony.
Reception was to start with a cocktail hour, food was to be out when guests arrived, it was not, by the time it arrived guest lined up with their dinner plates.
3 tables of guests had to wait for chairs to be moved before they could sit down at the reception.
Salads were plated, once our guests were done eating salad, the buffet was delayed and our guests wondered if they were going to eat, some left without dinner.
The bride & groom were toasted (planned event) the champagne was not ready so no one had champagne to toast and the bride & groom just stood there.
Cake cutting; the bride & groom stood looking at their cake, a guest had to go and grab someone to get a knife, the hotel coordinator not sure where she was. My friend had noticed and pointed it out in as advance, it was ignored.
There is no place for the wedding party to get ready, you have to rent hotel rooms, yet check in is 4pm out is 11am. You can try to get a late check out of 2:00, when you spend $13,600.00 for the wedding venue & food and there is no place for the wedding party to go???
Day after, I asked for the top of the cake so I could take it home & preserve it, I was given left over cake.
Left over flowers were in the conference room so I could take them home except the 2 beautiful Calalily arrangements that happened to look great in the lobby. I did not realize they were in the lobby until I got home to Kirkland and it was too late for me to recover the $420.00 worth of flowers.
The Dir of operations responded to my long list of issues. The cake cutting fee was waived, 75.00; the cost of champagne was waived, we did not drink any; the 300.00 wedding coordinator fee was waived. This is suppose to be sufficient to compensate the lack of service? I would think twice as this is a once in a life time event and I did not stop running the entire day of my sons wedding.
When my Uncle said he wished he had purchased the building when he had the opportunity, if only he had. I was so excited to have my son get married in my home town where my Great Grandfather Scott Wiggins moved in the early 1900's, well I was extremely disappointed. perhaps Weddings is not their specialty as they advertise?

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Cyndi P
Travis S, General Manager at Majestic Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2016

Cyndi,
We are very sorry that we fell short of your expectations on such an important day. The Majestic celebrates many weddings per year and never have we encountered disappointment like yours. We work hard to allow the bridal party and parents to relax and let us handle the details while they focus attention on family and friends in the hours before the wedding. We take ownership of some missteps you outlined and your frustrations with these are valid. We would like to address the issues from our end.

Firstly, during the 30 day appointment an arrival time for the florist was not communicated. Being a full-service venue, we expect to work through the morning to have everything ready for guests 2-3 hours before the event. Since the florist and you arrived before 9:30am (3 hrs earlier than normal), there were elements of the room that were not ready as it was over 7 hours before the ceremony time. We misread your decision to join the preparation team as just wanting to keep busy in the early hours of the day.

After you checked back with the staff, we were unable to address various requests made earlier that morning due to a shift in our priorities upon your request. We run many events and know how far along we need to be in preparing and how much time each task takes. When we have to change gears with last minute requests it impacts our preparation, but we gladly take on this challenge as it's all about exceeding our wedding party’s expectations.

The carpet stored in an outside walkway was an unforeseen issue that we clearly communicated during the rehearsal the day before. We were happy to move it, but you and the bride agreed it was not necessary as long as it was covered. In hindsight, we should have moved the carpet anyway and not even bothered you with this request. Also, in order to prevent the carpet from being seen by the wedding party we bought two $250 antique room dividers to cover the window and did this with no cost to you. We checked with you to be sure they would match the theme and were told they did.

The twinkle lights were never communicated to the staff either between the bridal party or the florist. We were unaware that they were part of the floral décor.

You point out that the appetizers were late and guests didn’t have seating. When the staff went over the entire day’s details with you, it was understood that we would need to be moving chairs from the ceremony space to the Ballroom for the reception. After reviewing the camera footage, we saw that all of the appetizers were out as the first guests arrived. The last chair was put into place only 15 minutes after the first guest arrived for the reception. We had communicated that the cocktail hour would be the perfect time to have these chairs moved since people would be mingling around getting drinks and snacks.

The delayed buffet was about 10 minutes later than expected. Typically with plated meals we like to allow time for guests to enjoy their courses without feeling rushed. It was explained that having a plated salad and dinner buffet was out of our regular regiment so the timing was an estimate.
The champagne was an oversight and should never happen. The wedding coordinator was running unplanned errands for the bridal party during this time, but that's still no excuse for not circling back with the bride and setting a new time for the toast.

The cake cutting equipment is safely stored in the kitchen until we are ready to cut the cake. There are many kids at weddings so we keep these items stored away as they only take a few seconds to get from the kitchen.

The Majestic Inn has always encouraged their wedding parties to rent a room for the bridal party to get ready in. Two nights is always recommended so that they check-in/out time does not cause issues. We always offer a discount on these rooms as well as offer the bride and groom’s wedding night complimentary.

The leftover cake was in a different location than the frozen cake topper. The wedding coordinator made sure to explain that there were three different boxes to pick up the next morning.

The florist arrived in the AM the day after the wedding to retrieve the rented containers. She informed the staff that the large calla lilis would look nice on the front desk instead of her taking them away so it was her decision to keep the arrangements at the hotel. The bridal party is encouraged to take anything/everything they purchased from the florist. We incorrectly assumed the direction of the florist was what you intended. That said, these flowers were at the front desk and could have easily been wrapped up for you at check out.

We refunded the cake cutting fee $75, Toasts $482, Coordination $300, Site Fee $350, and media wall $250. So, over $1,400 in refunds.

In the end, your experience was not as it should have been and we are truly disappointed with that fact. We will take these experiences and work to improve in our communication, expectations setting, and execution of wedding events.

Stina Williams
Sales Manager
Majestic Inn and Spa

Reviewed 12 March 2016 via mobile

Stayed at Hotel for 5 nights, room was very clean, stayed in old hotel side, room had a older charm.
was noisy could hear floor creaking, neighbors running water and could hear coughing and snoring from next room. Was in a couple of rooms on the newer part, very nice quiet rooms, would recommended staying in newer part. Also WiFi was sketchy would cut out. Nice little bar.

Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank DBsputer
Reviewed 8 March 2016 via mobile

Thank you TripAdvisor for the great reviews that helped us find this great little boutique hotel! We loved the customer service and our room was like a studio condo with a small kitchen and fireplace. We only wished we had more time to stay. It's centrally located in a cute little downtown area that we really enjoyed. We would definitely like to return. The fresh ground coffee for the French press in the room was a great touch. We loved watching the sunrise from our window, drinking a great cup coffee.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank dtheagy
Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

This inn is charming. It's in a small quaint town. Everyone at check in was welcoming and friendly, but that can be said about everyone in that area. Such wonderful lovely people. We stayed in the new building and was concerned with some reviews that wrote about the noise but I could faintly hear a truck drive by in the morning. I slept great. The room was spotless and linen fresh and clean.

Thank you Majestic for a wonderful stay.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank broker40
Reviewed 25 February 2016

I first visited Anacortes in the early 1990's. I instantly fell in love with it's small town charm, warm and friendly locals and all of the surrounding beauty. I am excited to take my family there for the first time this summer during the weekend of the Shipwreck Festival in July. In the past I have stayed with friends who live there, but this time we are staying at the Majestic Inn, which happens to be located in the best part of town next to so many of the great shops and eateries. I will post my review of this historic hotel upon our return :)

Date of stay: February 2016