“Great lamb tagine”
Review of Mazagan

Mazagan
Reserve with OpenTable
Mazagan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #133 of 902 Restaurants in Arlington
Price range: USD 10 - USD 25
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Contemporary Moroccan Cuisine served in a casual setting (suitable for guests of all ages) featuring Cocktails with a Moroccan twist and a separate Hookah Lounge after 9pm. Mazagan's open kitchen features a wood-fired grill for cooking kabobs and simmering Tagines (a Moroccan cooking style to stew meats and vegetables). Couscous is also available with lamb or with Tfayeh (caramelized onions and raisins). Desserts are all made in-house.
Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

Elegantly decorated authentic mortician restaurant with interesting wine lists ( showcasing Lebanese and French vino). The staff was very attentive and courteous. Our lamb tagine and kefta was very well
Prepared. Only suggestion is to have the waiters remind you tagine does not come with couscous and you have to order that as a side. The Moroccan tea was simply amazing - a perfect end to a lovely meal. The restaurant also has a hooka bar enclosed in a glass cabin. Will definitely return here.

1  Thank Nahla C

Reviewed 27 July 2015 via mobile

This place was on our list for a while. Now they are open for lunch and it works better for us.
We started with the Taste of Morocco - Chakchouka, Zaâlouk and Bakoula. For $14 I was expecting better quality and exciting flavors. It was bland.
The spinach goat cheese (3 small phyllo crepes) comes with cinnamon and raisins. It was just ok.
Recently I had a delicious chicken bastilla in a place not far from here. Mazagan's one wasn't as good.
The kefta tagine and the lamb tagine were very good.
Service wasn't attentive. The server was nice but he seemed very busy.
Overall, overpriced.

1  Thank HelenaGuerra
Reviewed 10 July 2015

I had my birthday dinner here and everything went fabulous!

I called more than a month ago to reserve a table for 20-30 guests and even though it was for a Friday night, they reserved the lounge area for 20 - 30 people and asked me to confirm the exact amount 3 days prior to the event.

I am sure I'm not the only one whose pained by the MAYBEs of today's Facebook events - no matter how many times you ask them to CONFIRM, it stays a maybe. So I told the restaurant I am still not sure but it should not be more than 25 people. Come, the day of the event I told them that it was 20 people.

When I arrived at the restaurant, I was very pleased to find a generous amount of area reserved for my guests. As guests started to arrive, I became a bit concerned because some dreaded MAYBEs were starting to show up too (as expected). The manager came to check if everything was good and I asked her if she could provide 3 more chairs and she was more than happy to help.

Finally, the seating was all taken care off and the baskets of breads started to arrive and people started to order food. What I especially loved about Mazagan was that they allowed my guests to do separate checks which made things very easy and did not cause any concerns, the kind that arrive when you have to pay a average amount because there's a huge group.
Everyone loved their food; I ordered the lamb tagine for the second time and the meat literally falls off the bone. Yum! Also, Its a good enough portion to be split between two people.
In between food and conversation, we were surprised when a belly dancer appeared and started to do her thang. It turned out to be quite an eventful night and my friends were not looking like they wanted to leave soon (which is a sign of a successful party).

Thank you Mazagan for making my birthday fab! xx

1  Thank Ayesha C
Chef_Riyad_Bouizar, Owner at Mazagan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2016

Thank you, Ayesha, for this great review on Trip Advisor! I'm so glad to know you were happy with your birthday event!

Cheers!
Riyad

Reviewed 25 June 2015

We live very close to Mazagan and had been wanting to go, so finally did the other night with some visitors from out of town. They have 3 children, and the first impression upon entering (spoken aloud by the 8 year old) was THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY PLACE . :)
But everyone did just fine! They have a burger on the menu for those not into trying a new or spicy dish (though they were out of hamburger buns the night we were there, so they served it on a pita). We had the chicken bastilla which was very nice (though not as good as they used to serve at Marrakesh IMHO). We also had loads of olives (didn't realize they would be bringing some to the table with bread, so we ordered a dish). Olives were good, would be nice if there was a bit of variety and the ones you ORDER were a different flavor than the ones brought to all tables. The 8 year old had the Shrimp Pill Pill (chosen mostly for the cool name I think...) and liked it. Most dishes were a bit spicy which is great for us but could trouble some people. Bread served was good. Server was very nice and helpful.

1  Thank PriusGirlVA
Reviewed 19 April 2015 via mobile

Great restaurant for a fun evening out. Not a quiet romantic place, but nice ambience, good service and delicious food. I had the soup and then couscous - it was delicious. Husband had the lamb tajine - said it was good, not great. Watched the servers pay special attention to hygiene, always put on fresh gloves to hold and cut bread - in plain view of patrons... Bonus points. They have a separate glassed off area for shisha and tea - inside the restaurant - but excellent ventilation, the smoke never came out of the glass room. The parking is tricky, but Iif you like North African food, Mazagan is worth a dinner. P.s. - don't miss out on the mint tea!

1  Thank Travelin_Gal2009