“Still like their German Menu Items”
Review of Thirsty Bernie

Thirsty Bernie
Ranked #426 of 959 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American, German
Reviewed 27 January 2018

Recently, it appears that the restaurant has renovated and they have different items on it. But, this place is for the German sausages with tater tots. I like it that there is ample parking. Parking in Arlington is a privilege and has a good sports bar theme. The service has always been good and prices are somewhat on the higher side. But, I like the crowd and enjoy this place every once in a while.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Been going to watch sports for many years and went again last weekend. I noticed new management or ownership and menu no longer Brats and German type of menu.
Burger was very good, onion rings generic frozen version. Salad looked ok but I should know better than salad at sports bar. One thing consistent from old days is beer seems way overpriced for a sports bar... they should have one beer on special or something to ease that issue.
They need to decide what direction to go and what they want to be since being a club, or a bar, or a restaurant, or sports bar they cannot keep a consistent identity. Service really bad, took a long time to even order, then once we got our food we were afraid to ask for something else thinking it may prohibit us getting out of there on time. Just folks walking around with no real trained servers.
Big advantage vs other Arlington spots is ease of getting table and they have parking.
Go with open mind and may enjoy it.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Thirsty Bernie entrance is on on the side of the building off of Glebe Road in Arlington, Virginia.

We dined on a weekend which means brunch options on the menu. A huge amount of biscuits and gravy with lots of finely ground sausage. It was delicious. We also split the Eggs Benedict, which came with three eggs on top of fresh, huge English muffins.

Service is terrific. The atmosphere is quiet so you can enjoy a conversation while dining. There are TVs around the restaurant, but you don't notice the volume. The servers are tremendously friendly and make you feel welcomed immediately.

I was outside dining on the sidewalk in front. Parking is easy with a zero grade entrance. Table options included tall tops as well as low tops.

We are looking forward to returning to Thirsty Bernie.

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

Hours open at 7. At 7:05 no one in sight. Store dark. Convenient location. Too bad I couldn't get a healthy breakfast.

Reviewed 24 August 2016 via mobile

Thirsty Bernie's is tucked away in a strip mall on the corner of Lee Highway and was a blessing to the area due to the lack of neighborhood options other than Cowboy Cafe (not that there is anything wrong with CC). Ive been quite a few times over its 10ish years in existence but not as often as I initially thought. Thirsty has many things going for it:
*Outdoor seating, Arlington style
*Fairly spacious inside
*Very good food for a bar (German and American theme)
*Many TVs
*Decent international beer selection
*Family friendly

More room for improvement:
*Service can be disorganized or slow
*American Craft beer options (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and Ranger should not count as Craft or Micro, even if they started out this way. I can get those beers at a gas station (and much better at a professional sporting event), and they don't match the relative quality of some of the international selections)
*Number of beer selections in general

If these items improved, the place would be a solid 4+ to 5 instead of its current 3+/4-.

All in all, I go to sports bars for the beer selection (0.6), food (1.0), service (0.4), TVs (1.0), and game atmosphere (0.5). It's a bonus if the place is walkable. As my scientific scoring shows, Thirsty Bernie's has excellent food, ok beer (although Chimay on tap raises the bar) and service, with many TVs, which gives TB over 3 stars in my book, and I round up to 4 because it's in my neighborhood.